VOI9 Coupe & GTS-R

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with many that the '98 GTS-R is the most collectible Viper. It celebrated the '97 FIA GT2 Champ, and '98 24 hrs @ LeMans win. That car (1 of 100) was basically an early edition ACR with decals & rear wing to match the race car. There have been many other 'special edition' cars in both generations. The '06 VOI9 is almost identical to the '98 (Prefix can add the wing & harnesses), but it seems to be VERY unappreciated.

I believe you could buy one new for mid $70s or pick up a used GTS-R with 10k miles for $95-100k. Any opinions of why this '06 car seems to be so undesired? I was very excited about it when it was announced prior to VOI. It may be viewed as just 'another special edition car', but this one seems to be the NEW VERSION of the former tribute to the FIA/24 champ, WHICH IS highly sought after. I am a GTS owner who loves my car's curves, but also really appreciates the '06 coupe.

If you had $100k burning a hole in your pocket, which would you buy and why? Opinions please.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: VOI9 Coupe vs. GTS-R

this one seems to be the NEW VERSION of the former tribute to the FIA/24 champ

I was thinking the exact same thing a few days ago while browsing through all my pictures.

Beautiful Viper!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score

The 06 is a beauty and would look nice next to the 98 GT2.

The difference is the relationship to Racing history. The 06 Viper has little world class racing history. The 97-98 GTSR's won the FIA series and 24 hours of Le Mans.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Many don't think the Gen III looks as good as a Gen II, so it doesn't matter what paint scheme you put on it. Put a Gen II body on a Gen III, and they wouldn't still be siting in a dealer showrooms with a $10K discount.

If the only cosmetic change on the new Viper is the hood and I had $100K to spend on a Viper, I'd choose the GTS/R every day of the week. That body is 11 years old, and it's still sexier than any thing else on the road.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The '98 GTS-R commemorated real, winning, Viper racecars, and it was a truly special edition car.

Unfortunately, there have been a slew of special edition GenIII Vipers recently that were little more than different cosmetic paint/trim/interior combinations. And many of those special model's "unique" paint combos became available on later standard Vipers.

If DC had bolted in a Paxton and some Motons from the factory, then you would have seen some serious press on this car, and the collectability would have been high, even with the new '08 Viper out. But as it is, the car (as nice as it looks) was just one "Collector's Edition" too many, especially now standing in the shadow of the 600HP '08 Vipers with tons of other performance improvements, and many factory custom interior options available.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Gen3 is a stunning viper but unlike the gen1 and 2's no real racing history (yet) so i would think the GT2/GTSR would be more colectable....

Tough choice though as both are stunning cars in that colour combo...

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He had it advertised for over $125k on Autotrader.com Although, I can't find his ad any more.

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It would be great if Viper got back into racing. Maybe that will be in the works for the '08.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GT2 had no racing history. It was just a Viper in white with a wing, BBS wheels, special car cover, 5 point seat belts and 10 more HP than the other Vipers in 1998. It was also a color that is very limited.

I owned one of the 1998's and sometimes wish I had not sold it... but I now own one of the 2006 VOI.9 cars with a wing and splitter and think it is a much better car. I think in time this car may increase in value like the GT2 has. That is if they don't keep making more white with blue stripe coupes with wings. If it doesn't... so be it. It's an awesome Viper!

If I have to choose between the GT2 and the VOI.9... I would buy the 2006 no question.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I have to choose between the GT2 and the VOI.9... I would buy the 2006 no question.

Good, I would buy the GTSR/GT2 no question. Although we would both be happy at first, in a few years yours would be just another Gen III and I would still have a GT2.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GT2 is also just another Viper. There is nothiing more special about the 1998 460 hp Viper VS the 2006 VOI.9. But... The VOI.9 only produced around 6 or 7 with wings and splitter. Maybe they will be the ones to have in the future. Anyway... you are right... to each his own. Everyone will be happy. And remember... you only make a profit on the car if you sell it!

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score

There both awsome cars and would love to have them both in my garage but if I had to chose one to buy first it would be a GTS-R...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2005 COPPERHEAD #057
2001 PLYMOUTH PROWLER
2004 HUMMER H2

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The '98 GTS-R commemorated real, winning, Viper racecars, and it was a truly special edition car.

Unfortunately, there have been a slew of special edition GenIII Vipers recently that were little more than different cosmetic paint/trim/interior combinations. And many of those special model's "unique" paint combos became available on later standard Vipers.

If DC had bolted in a Paxton and some Motons from the factory, then you would have seen some serious press on this car, and the collectability would have been high, even with the new '08 Viper out. But as it is, the car (as nice as it looks) was just one "Collector's Edition" too many, especially now standing in the shadow of the 600HP '08 Vipers with tons of other performance improvements, and many factory custom interior options available.

very well said. i agree

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang