Vote for moundirs videos NOW

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to include the no votes, that was the point of the post so definelty vote no if thats what you want to do.
If anyone knows how to setup the poll voting thing then by all means let it rip.

BRING ON THE VIDEOS EVERYONE!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, since nobody else seems to want to step up to the plate and answer for the "other side", I suppose I will speak on their behalf.

First off, let me say that I personally LOVE the videos and download every single one of them. My sons like 'em too, assuming the passenger isn't screaming obscenities like no tomorrow (which they usually do anyway). Gerald's, Mike's - they are all a blast, especially getting to be inside some of these modified beasts while our tame Vipers sit in the garage. So, is it a matter of some people not liking to watch the video? ABSOLUTELY NOT. As one of the e-mails we received encouraged us to "please forward to anyone you feel appropriate", I consider you guys (and gals) to be "appropriate". Here is what it said, in part:

I'm amazed that the club allows 'kill videos' and the like to be posted. This is per se illegal activity. What would happen if someone went out in their Viper tonight and found someone to street race and ran over someone in a cross walk doing 100 or so? In the police interview they mention the VCA and the investigator ends up meeting with the families attorney and they check out the VCA website and sees not one but many posts about street racing - even with videos! Do you think the club might get sued as part of a wrongful death suit by the victims family? I sure do, and I'm emailing you about it because I don't want it to happen to the club.

So, there you have it. And how does this impact what can and cannot be posted? Well, as you are aware, the board has always discouraged "kill stories" when posted as such. The introduction of the term "closed course" became a tongue-in-cheek heads up, much like that good ol' "soup" for you old timers. Many threads managed to stay alive in that respect, even though they probably should have been addressed.

"But what about the power of the people?!" "The Corvette Forum allows this and even has a section for it!" "I say let's put it to a vote!" Unfortunately, that is not how it works. Don't get me wrong, we ALL have a voice on this board. The inherent problem is the very nature of this board: It is run and sponsored by the Viper Club of America (VCA), which in turn is supported very heavily by Dodge and numerous other vendors. So what? Well, your other forums, including "the alley" and the Corvette forums, are "freelance" - they have no direct ties to the manufacturer of the vehicle being discussed.

Okay Chris, so what the hell does THAT mean? In a nutshell: Liability. Does Smith & Wesson (the gun manufacturer) sponsor a forum? No. If they did, do you think they would allow people to boast of the people they recently killed with their Smith & Wesson 5906? Better yet, would they sit by and get a good chuckle out of the video somebody posted of of a few "kills" they got with their new handgun? NOT ON THIS PLANET But hey, that is pretty extreme, right? Yep, but the point is the same whether we like it or not (and in case you haven't noticed, I don't): Street racing is illegal in all 50 states and most of the world. While the crime is not as drastic or the punishment as severe, street racing is just as illegal as ******. There is no such thing as "partially illegal".

The bottom line is that the VCA nor Dodge can endorse illegal activities with their products. Burn out videos? Not illegal to my knowledge. Track videos and drag race videos from the drag strip? All legal and all encouraged. Guys, I love these videos as much as anyone here. Likewise, I suspect that 99% of us would have a VERY difficult time looking the other way if a GT2 pulled up next to us on an open road - even the windbreakers. The problem is that we cannot come to a manufacturer sponsored forum and boast of the results, much less post video. There are plenty of other non-sponsored sites that welcome this stuff such as "the alley" (Smokin, we got the point - quit posting it over and over again). I wish there were some other way to address this, but there is not.

I hope this helped answer some questions and am truly sorry I couldn't be of more help. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Chris

PS. I will copy this post to the other threads that have brought up this topic. Also note that multiple topics on the same subject WILL be deleted.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hell Yea!

Can we put them in a "members only" section. That way they are all in one place for easy access and the PC issue should go away since the average communist surfing the net can not find them.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell YES.

All those that think street racing very dangerous need to take a drive down the roads in LA. Street racing is cake walk after dealing with soccer Moms going to pick up their kids.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Chris that doesn't cut it. One's person opinion suddenly brought the VCA to it's so called senses????

Well, lets see then.. The VCA helped me get my viper, recommened what tires to get,etc. What happens if I get a blowout and wreck because of that advice? There's evidence on this board regarding that? How is that wrongful death can be argued whether it's a video or a track video???? Please answer that one..

That statement by that blue hair is a chicken $hit one.. sorry, I'm pissed

f'ing hypocrytes, every one of them.

Gerald

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, As I recall euphemisms like "soup" were eventually banned, too.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks, don't jump on Chris for trying to explain the reasoning. He very specifically says that it was pulled due to the fact that street racing is illegal. Recommending tires isn't illegal. Eating fast food isn't illegal. Driving a Viper isn't illegal. When you roadrace or drag race, you always sign a waiver and most likely the participants are the ones in danger - NOT folks minding their own business coming home from the store, etc. And while we may not all agree with the laws regarding street racing, it's still illegal and it's probably not wise for the VCA and in effect, Dodge, to be "promoting it" by showing the videos as a potential use for their product.

All someone would have to do is get killed by someone street racing a Viper and any good attorney would be all over this website looking for someone to blame. My guess is that even if the person DRIVING the Viper was killed during a street race, they could still point back to here and say it was "encourged" and try to force blame on anyone / any company with deep pockets. How may pepole have sued "Jacka$$" for imitating the stunts they pull - and oh - they are mostly legal. Stupid and funny as all get out, but legal.... :)

But please don't shoot the messenger with Chris. You may not agree with the thinking behind pulling the videos, but that's not a reason to slam him.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, since nobody else seems to want to step up to the plate and answer for the "other side", I suppose I will speak on their behalf.

First off, let me say that I personally LOVE the videos and download every single one of them. My sons like 'em too, assuming the passenger isn't screaming obscenities like no tomorrow (which they usually do anyway). Gerald's, Mike's - they are all a blast, especially getting to be inside some of these modified beasts while our tame Vipers sit in the garage. So, is it a matter of some people not liking to watch the video? ABSOLUTELY NOT. As one of the e-mails we received encouraged us to "please forward to anyone you feel appropriate", I consider you guys (and gals) to be "appropriate". Here is what it said, in part:

I'm amazed that the club allows 'kill videos' and the like to be posted. This is per se illegal activity. What would happen if someone went out in their Viper tonight and found someone to street race and ran over someone in a cross walk doing 100 or so? In the police interview they mention the VCA and the investigator ends up meeting with the families attorney and they check out the VCA website and sees not one but many posts about street racing - even with videos! Do you think the club might get sued as part of a wrongful death suit by the victims family? I sure do, and I'm emailing you about it because I don't want it to happen to the club.

So, there you have it. And how does this impact what can and cannot be posted? Well, as you are aware, the board has always discouraged "kill stories" when posted as such. The introduction of the term "closed course" became a tongue-in-cheek heads up, much like that good ol' "soup" for you old timers. Many threads managed to stay alive in that respect, even though they probably should have been addressed.

"But what about the power of the people?!" "The Corvette Forum allows this and even has a section for it!" "I say let's put it to a vote!" Unfortunately, that is not how it works. Don't get me wrong, we ALL have a voice on this board. The inherent problem is the very nature of this board: It is run and sponsored by the Viper Club of America (VCA), which in turn is supported very heavily by Dodge and numerous other vendors. So what? Well, your other forums, including "the alley" and the Corvette forums, are "freelance" - they have no direct ties to the manufacturer of the vehicle being discussed.

Okay Chris, so what the hell does THAT mean? In a nutshell: Liability. Does Smith & Wesson (the gun manufacturer) sponsor a forum? No. If they did, do you think they would allow people to boast of the people they recently killed with their Smith & Wesson 5906? Better yet, would they sit by and get a good chuckle out of the video somebody posted of of a few "kills" they got with their new handgun? NOT ON THIS PLANET But hey, that is pretty extreme, right? Yep, but the point is the same whether we like it or not (and in case you haven't noticed, I don't): Street racing is illegal in all 50 states and most of the world. While the crime is not as drastic or the punishment as severe, street racing is just as illegal as ******. There is no such thing as "partially illegal".

The bottom line is that the VCA nor Dodge can endorse illegal activities with their products. Burn out videos? Not illegal to my knowledge. Track videos and drag race videos from the drag strip? All legal and all encouraged. Guys, I love these videos as much as anyone here. Likewise, I suspect that 99% of us would have a VERY difficult time looking the other way if a GT2 pulled up next to us on an open road - even the windbreakers. The problem is that we cannot come to a manufacturer sponsored forum and boast of the results, much less post video. There are plenty of other non-sponsored sites that welcome this stuff such as "the alley" (Smokin, we got the point - quit posting it over and over again). I wish there were some other way to address this, but there is not.

I hope this helped answer some questions and am truly sorry I couldn't be of more help. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Chris

PS. I will copy this post to the other threads that have brought up this topic. Also note that multiple topics on the same subject WILL be deleted.

Okay Chris,

As long as we are being fair and even and playing by the rules of this site and better yet - the laws of our great Nation and all 50 States. Even though "Unfortunately, that is not how it works" and we don't have a say or a vote. I will try to follow your logic, which in a nut shell, "The bottom line is that the VCA nor Dodge can endorse illegal activities with their products."

I think we probably all agree the a car video and ****** are almost one in the same - both illegal. :rolleyes: Correct me if I am wrong but all 50 states have emissions laws - right? I better not see a single post about removing catalitic converters - b/c I bet in most states emissions laws are stiffer than moving violations - which of course makes it closer to ******. I better not see any VCA supporting vendors selling or installing exhaust systems that don't meet CARB certification (including Heffner, Levin, RSI, PartsRack, Roe, TNT, etc). After all there is no thing as being slightly illegal.

Oh, and don't forget about posts about installing Momo or other aftermarket steering wheels on Gen II Vipers. I'm not sure if you know but tampering with the cars safty devices is illegal. What happens if someone got in a wreck without an airbag and died? Here comes the law suit - after all, I did read a post about it on the VCA.

Don't tell me there are posts about using TechTeam harnesses and other 5 point belts because they are not DOT approved. No DOT approval means illegal. Remember the bottom line is that the VCA nor Dodge can endorse illegal activities with their products.

The there are the HID headlights - sorry no DOT approval - illegal. What happens if you blind an on-coming car and they crash and die? I think you can buy HID light kits off a VCA sponsor on this website. We can't have that can we??

I will make sure to hightlight all the illegal posts on the board. After all, "In a nutshell: Liability." Don't shoot the messanger - I'm just trying to help. :p

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks, don't jump on Chris for trying to explain the reasoning. He very specifically says that it was pulled due to the fact that street racing is illegal. Recommending tires isn't illegal. Eating fast food isn't illegal. Driving a Viper isn't illegal. When you roadrace or drag race, you always sign a waiver and most likely the participants are the ones in danger - NOT folks minding their own business coming home from the store, etc. And while we may not all agree with the laws regarding street racing, it's still illegal and it's probably not wise for the VCA and in effect, Dodge, to be "promoting it" by showing the videos as a potential use for their product.

All someone would have to do is get killed by someone street racing a Viper and any good attorney would be all over this website looking for someone to blame. My guess is that even if the person DRIVING the Viper was killed during a street race, they could still point back to here and say it was "encourged" and try to force blame on anyone / any company with deep pockets. How may pepole have sued "Jacka$$" for imitating the stunts they pull - and oh - they are mostly legal. Stupid and funny as all get out, but legal.... :)

But please don't shoot the messenger with Chris. You may not agree with the thinking behind pulling the videos, but that's not a reason to slam him.

Well why dont we start banning vendors then? Lets ban everyone who sells a set of headers to NY, CA, or any state that mandates a CARB number on exhaust modifications? We better ban anyone who sells a cam package since its illegal. While we are at it, lets ban endorsement of teamtechs since using them on the street is illegal. Better ban NX since its illegal too. Oh wait, they endorse this site? There goes that argument :rolleyes:

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly smell a double standard...This guy's video get's axed, yet Gerald's (not me) bike kills never do???

(nothing against the bike kills, I enjoy those just as much as a vette kill, or a porsche kill...just making a "point")

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Gerald,

Gerald here. (always wanted to say that)

I haven't posted a bike kill in about 1 month or so. I'm sure if I did post a video yesterday (timeframe it got axed) it would be pulled...

Gerald

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO. I do not think the VCA should be promoting illegal activity. I agree that many/most of us do it. But to promote it via videos is providing an impetus or acceptance that I am sure the courts would look at very closely. If we had a Viper incident and the participants started to blame the website for encouraging the behavior, the VCA and all connected could be in for some very rough times.

My flame suit is now on as dissenting opinions on this topic are not allowed by the free speach advocates??? :confused:

Yes Yes Yes ....What century are we in :confused: ??? ..... Vette board has one .......are we not as good as the Vettes :eek: ???????
Cudaman :usa:
What Vette board? this one http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain doesn't have one that I have found (not looked for it either but it is not obvious).

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "partially illegal".

I just saw a post on clear marker lights (hint illegal). Better tell them to put the amber bulbs in or get that illegal post pulled.

[******] you Anthony! ;) It's not illegal if it's in your own home :eek:

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Janni,

Didn't you make the detailed post in the "How to Section" on installing the 5-6 point belts?? I hope no one gets killed wearing them on the street!!! You know they are ILLEGAL and not DOT approved?

You might want to pull that. I'm just looking out for you - don't want you to get sued.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a post about aftermarket exhausts too. That better get pulled since im sure it does over the max 105db mandated by CA law. What if someone drives by an old lady and she has a heart attack and they find out it was someone on the vca board that had read about exhausts and installed a loud exhaust system on their car and it startled the lady and she had weak heart and that the system was out of compliance? What if it was WAY louder than 105db because he installed a high-flow cat? Oh my! The horrors! :rolleyes: