Waaah... Head Gasket??

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it sounds to me like you better find yourself a set of head gaskets quick...sounds to me this may be more troublesome than actually doing the entire job...

I sincerely doubt your liners have shifted. For those of us who have disassembled motors, you can imagine how difficult it is breaking things "loose" inside a motor. The head gaskets were prone to failure as with many Chrysler head gaskets on aluminum headed cars...i.e. 2.2 turbos...2.0 neon motors...etc. etc. If the liners shifted up you could always "tap" them down and make sure they are even with a feeler gauge. Rudimentary but works. Or you could also make up a "press" with a piece of plate steel and bolts if you are crafty...

Then again you can always pull the motor and have it rebuilt by Arrow with 86 upgrades including a steriod injection that will make it stronger and more durable than ever.

Reaction score
richc22 -

Before you go "RASH" simply check to make certain it's not just the rear crossover for the thermostat housing. The high temperatures cause the block to expand and contract, hence, the crossover gaskets do go bad.
Also, the screws do come loose, check them and the intake bolts while your there.

Good Luck,
Doug

Ps - Regarding head gaskets (if it is the problem); retorque helps but won't cure a bad head gasket. You can try a "stop leak" but that will only prolong your misery - It may buy you some time through the holidays.