Walmart oil change on my 05 SRT- no kidding!

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And only $70.00 including Mobile 1 ( I provided a K&N oil filter)! NO hoist to worry about, I drove the car in and out of the bay, and I stood right there to make sure there were no screw-ups. I got the royal treatment as it made their day to work on a Viper.

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow man you have some **** to let walmart touch your Viper. The horror stories I've heard... :eek:

BTW what part of Phoenix are you in?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow man you have some **** to let walmart touch your Viper. The horror stories I've heard... :eek:

Back during my Mitsubishi Parts Manager days, Walmart and jiffy lube were the 2 most common places that customers said screwed up their oil changes. I'll continue to do mine myself

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I took a vehicle to Walmart a few years ago cause I was in a hurry for a road trip. When I got back home a few weeks later, I proceeded to change the oil myself and found out that not only did they tighten the filter on crooked, but they completely stripped off (rounded) the plug. Fortunently, there was no significant damage, other than having to purchase a new plug. Never again...

Also a few years ago, I had two of my friends that got a side-job at Jiffy Lube because they enjoyed working on cars, and the stories that they told me would give you goosebumps. At the stores that my friends worked at, most of the employees were on work release, drug users, and only got paid $6 per hour. So, many of them didn't care if they broke something or not. Needless to say, my friends quit working there shortly thereafter.

SRT10Mike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not just Walmart....

I just had SpeeDee Lube change the oil in my Highlander. I specified Mobil 1 Synthetic and they quoted me $60.95. I watched from the waiting room (they have a big window looking into the service bay)and I saw the LubeJockey fill my car with oil from the gun.

I went out to the bay and asked if he was using Mobil 1. He said he was not. I got the manager and he agreed to drain the new oil and then I watched as they put in Mobil 1 from the plastic bottles.

I wonder how many folks have they ripped off??

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a Dodge dealer, yes a Dodge dealer, break my dip stick shaft where it enters the motor on my 96. You can do this when removing the filter.
I had owned the car 2 days and took it to them for an oil change and once over, and warrenty handover. I fixed it myself, as I had completely lost faith in them.
Then I purchased a workshop manual and I do everything myself. Anything beyond my capabilities, it goes to WCV.

You are certainly one brave man entrusting Walmart. It gives me the shivers just driving past their workshop, conjures up all kinds of visions about what is actually happening to peoples cars in there. :shocked:

OP
OP
P

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Ronald Reagan once said, "trust but verify". Most repair shops will not let you wait in the garage area for safety reasons, but Wally Mart did otherwise they wouldn't have touched it. I don't trust anyone, unless I witness the Mobile 1 being poured in. Unfortunately a screwed up oil change can and does happen at dealerships. Case in point, I had a 90 Nissan 300zx Turbo that I always had the Nissan dealer perform the oil changes. Oil plug came off and burned up the engine (Beware, teenage sons don't know how to read oil pressure gauges). Dealership paid for an new engine (old engine had 40,000 miles), so I came out of it pretty good. Everyone has a horror story, but bottom line, it's hard to screw up an oil change, you just want to make sure you get Mobile one. Other option is do it yourself which I see a lot of you do. I'm personally not inclined to do so in this 110 degree AZ heat.

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other day I recently changed to oil in both my 96 gts and my 98 tracer. It took less time to change the oil and filter in my viper than it did for the tracer! I swear this car is just as easy if not easier to work on than my old 71 chevelle.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walmart=cross threaded drain plug:-(

Sounds like you had a good experience. You've got more guts than me.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Everyone has a horror story, but bottom line, it's hard to screw up an oil change..."

Not for Tires Plus. They changed the oil in my Eclipse (before I bought my Snake) and the guy drained the transmission fluid instead! So I had no tranny fluid and double too much oil. Mitsubishi ended up having to repair the car. Nothing was damaged because when it started driving soooooo bad, I went right to the dealership. I think it cost Tires Plus $500 or so for everything Mitsu. did

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WalMart has been changing oil in my vehicles for 10 years now with no problems. I tell them Valvoline 10W30 and that's what they use. The Super WalMart here has pits so I took my Vette to them and watched from the waiting room window. I told them Mobile 1 and that's what they used. A young woman did the job and was extremely careful to not only do the job right but she also placed clean towels on the hood, door, seats and floor mats so she didn't get anything dirty.
CB

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for Tires Plus. They changed the oil in my Eclipse (before I bought my Snake) and the guy drained the transmission fluid instead! So I had no tranny fluid and double too much oil. Mitsubishi ended up having to repair the car. Nothing was damaged because when it started driving soooooo bad, I went right to the dealership. I think it cost Tires Plus $500 or so for everything Mitsu. did

I would go postal Chad.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using our local Walmart for years for the oil changes. The manager does them while I am right there with the car. I drive it in and drive it out. Buy the Mobil 1 and watch it go in (no chance of over filling, etc.). I bring my own Mobil 1 filter and they charge me a whopping $8.96 for the oil change. Done in ten minutes. They even have pictures of my Viper in their office that they shot the first time I came in.

To do it myself I would need to either buy a jack and jack stands or a $2,000+ lift. That's a lot of $8.96 oil changes (all of which are warranteed by one of the richest companies in the world if they do screw something up). Reminds me of the old joke about the cost of changing your own oil:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by liquor store and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open first beer and drink it, to assess the situation.

4) Plan to jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands behind garden hoses, rakes and assorted crap. Jack up vehicle.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process, cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.

17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.

18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of storing it for recycling.

19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.

20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.

21) Walk to grocery store to buy more beer.

22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface. (Note that the filter companies tell you to do this just to ensure that the GASKET is actually there...)

23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

24) Remember drain plug from step 11.

25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.

27) Drink beer.

28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from kids' sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas over a bad patch of lawn.

29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

30) Drink beer.

31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.

32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.

33) Begin cussing fit.

34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

36) More beer.

37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

38) Beer.

39) Beer.

40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

41) Beer.

42) Lower car from jack stands.

43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.

44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.

45) Beer.

46) Test drive car.

47) Get pulled over: Arrested for driving under the influence.

48) Car gets impounded.

49) Call loving wife, she makes bail.

50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total - - $4,165.00

But you know the job was done right!!! :2tu:

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been using our local Walmart for years for the oil changes. The manager does them while I am right there with the car. I drive it in and drive it out. Buy the Mobil 1 and watch it go in (no chance of over filling, etc.). I bring my own Mobil 1 filter and they charge me a whopping $8.96 for the oil change. Done in ten minutes. They even have pictures of my Viper in their office that they shot the first time I came in.

To do it myself I would need to either buy a jack and jack stands or a $2,000+ lift. That's a lot of $8.96 oil changes (all of which are warranteed by one of the richest companies in the world if they do screw something up). Reminds me of the old joke about the cost of changing your own oil:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by liquor store and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open first beer and drink it, to assess the situation.

4) Plan to jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands behind garden hoses, rakes and assorted crap. Jack up vehicle.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process, cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.

17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.

18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of storing it for recycling.

19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.

20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.

21) Walk to grocery store to buy more beer.

22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface. (Note that the filter companies tell you to do this just to ensure that the GASKET is actually there...)

23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

24) Remember drain plug from step 11.

25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.

27) Drink beer.

28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from kids' sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas over a bad patch of lawn.

29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

30) Drink beer.

31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.

32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.

33) Begin cussing fit.

34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

36) More beer.

37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

38) Beer.

39) Beer.

40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

41) Beer.

42) Lower car from jack stands.

43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.

44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.

45) Beer.

46) Test drive car.

47) Get pulled over: Arrested for driving under the influence.

48) Car gets impounded.

49) Call loving wife, she makes bail.

50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total - - $4,165.00

But you know the job was done right!!!

OK, that's damn funny! Sounds like my oil changes minus the DUI.