want an sct tune but worried about the horror stories!

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i m looking at getting an sct tune to eliminate the skip shift, turn on the fans earlier and adjust for california 91 octane crappy gas. but i keep seeing horror stories about blowing up motors, pinging, and piston damage. was that only when these out of the box tunes first started coming out? have they changed and been refined over the years or still stay away until i can get the car on a dyno to be tuned? any good viper tuners on sct in northern california?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from ART, tuned there as well. I also plan on using my SCT for my Paxton tuning. No horror stories here and never heard any anout SCT... not sure where you heard these stories?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure where you heard these stories?

recent threads:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/648520-What-is-this-and-should-I-buy-it?highlight=tuner+dyno
and
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/646004-Dyno-Result-Help
there are others...
I remember reading a couple threads where people had been stranded due to the SCT giving an error or freezing during an upload. I think this was with the first batch though as the firmware has since been updated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP, with no mods i dont see any point in doing an sct tune.
In stock form the motor is tuned for 91oct. Are you getting any pinging with the fuel you use?
Also, i dont see a need to turn the fans on any sooner especially without lower t-stat

A simple 40buck skipshif eliminator sounds like all you need.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canyon. What are your mods? and did DC do a before/after dyno on your Viper?

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a tune from Sean Roe and it is awesome. Drives great, idles great and added quite a bit of power.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always great success with numerous SCT products on my Cobra. Getting ready to switch my Pro Racer license over to the Viper and pick up a new XCal2.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canyon. What are your mods? and did DC do a before/after dyno on your Viper?
My mods are minimal and he has never even seen my car. I mailed in the CPU. I run a BBK TB which is really nothing better than the stock one IMO I have good wires, a ported intake. corsa with stock cats and no headers. OS giken 3:55 dif. Thats it runs 11:55 119 MPH

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mods are minimal and he has never even seen my car. I mailed in the CPU. I run a BBK TB which is really nothing better than the stock one IMO I have good wires, a ported intake. corsa with stock cats and no headers. OS giken 3:55 dif. Thats it runs 11:55 119 MPH

How did your car run prior to the sct tune from roe? Did your trap speed change from the tune? I have b and b exhaust with roe cats, k and n, smooth tubes, 180 stat, msd wires, and plan on headers in the next few weeks.

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have KN filter, smoothbore tubes, random technology race cats, Corsa 3 inch exhaust, mopar race ignition wires and a SCT unit with a tune from Sean (Roe racing )
I track my car on a regular basis and it made the car come alive without any problems noted...
Never heard of any issues...

I would say give Sean a call and go for it...

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of gains are you seeing from the SCT tune? (Assuming basic bolt ons - headers, high flows, cat-back, smooth tubes)

What did it cost for the SCT and tune from vendors like ROE and DC Performance?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did your car run prior to the sct tune from roe? Did your trap speed change from the tune? I have b and b exhaust with roe cats, k and n, smooth tubes, 180 stat, msd wires, and plan on headers in the next few weeks.
I forgot to mention I also have K&N and the 180 stat. When I talk about trap speeds there are many things that come into play launch, shifting, gears, play the biggest part I ran 3;73 prior to the 3:55 and the car was looking for 5th at the trap. I think my best was 123 mph trap but consistant 119mph in the mid 11 sec range. ( with a lot of practice) I never did run it prior to the DC tune but, I do have dynos from before and after. I was actually disappointed on paper with a gain fo about 15 to 20 hp but, the car ran better no doubt so that was ok with me the curve was better and the air /fule mix was much more in line. All I can say is it will help but it's not a miracle maker by any means. It's just better than stock. Dan did a good job and I have no complaints. If you going to do headers best tell Dan your plan so he can make the necessary adjustments to your CPU

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I also have K&N and the 180 stat. When I talk about trap speeds there are many things that come into play launch, shifting, gears, play the biggest part I ran 3;73 prior to the 3:55 and the car was looking for 5th at the trap. I think my best was 123 mph trap but consistant 119mph in the mid 11 sec range. ( with a lot of practice) I never did run it prior to the DC tune but, I do have dynos from before and after. I was actually disappointed on paper with a gain fo about 15 to 20 hp but, the car ran better no doubt so that was ok with me the curve was better and the air /fule mix was much more in line. All I can say is it will help but it's not a miracle maker by any means. It's just better than stock. Dan did a good job and I have no complaints. If you going to do headers best tell Dan your plan so he can make the necessary adjustments to your CPU

the running better is music to my ears. do you happen to still have your graphs or dyno files? would love to see them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96