Want to buy 96 viper but did this year have a clear coat problem?

DULFERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a 96 viper rt 10. It is red w/ blk interior 30,000 miles. I am going to drive to see the car friday and the dealer told me that the 96's had a problem with the clear coat; is this true? She said that this car actually had a second coat of clear but the rear of the car looks like it has fish eyes if you look at it at the right angle. Any replies are welcome since this is my dream car since it was deputed and I just realized recently that I could get a used car for under 40k. Thanks in advance I will be reading and hopefully next time I will come back with a new snake.
:2tu:

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Smell
207icon_bs-thumb.gif

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a really close look and you just might find out why it has been repainted.
One way or the other, there is no good reason why it should not have a perfect paint job.

If the car hasn't been wrecked and simply has a bad paint job, you can figure at least $4k for the repaint and I'd say that is minimum for a basic decent job.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 97 new & the paint on the doors is horrible,, & every other viper that was @ the dealership had the same problem, maybee thats what he is talking about.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 white/blue and the only problem with the clear coat is that it's too thick and shiny and birds keep flying into it! Just kidding. The finish on my car is a show quality finish like I've never seen on any factory car before. I actually haven't even seen this good of finish on another viper.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask the dealer what is his source for the info. My car has never had a clear coat problem, and I've never heard of anybody else having one either.

OP
OP
D

DULFERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies I am going to see it today and I will find out what is going on I will let you all know :cool:

OP
OP
D

DULFERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after 2 hours of driving I pull in and they tell me they took a deposit this mourning. The car looked fine to me. The paint was fine unless you got down and looked from certain angles on the trunk :confused: Maybe it was redone but anyway still looking but it sucked because they were only asking 32,000. Well hopefully I will come across another one. Till next time.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a 96 RT/10 in black with silver stripes.
How many miles, and in what condition is the car you are looking at? That price seems suspiciously low, particularly from a dealer. Are you certain that it has not been crashed? Have you run CARFAX, and have you had someone familiar with prior crash damage look the car over?

Also, check under the front of the frame where the recall work was done, and see if there are any cracks.

If this is a clean, fairly low mileage car, in good shape then I think you have a seal on your hands. : - ) :usa: :usa: :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine