WARNING about Belanger exhaust

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had Belanger headers and exhaust installed on my '04. Because so many of the owners who purchased the system that eliminates the crossover have complained about the noise, I chose to go with the system that uses a crossover. Since the system was advertised as a complete cat back exhaust I made the mistake of assuming it would be a whole new system, from the cats, to the tip of the exhaust. That is not the case. The "cat back exhaust system" ends at the muffler. From there, the Belanger system stops and is connected up to the stock exhaust, utilizing the stock crossover and stock exhaust tips. I didn't find out about this until after my system was installed (I'm out of town) and was a little dissapointed. This is less than ideal because I still have the weight of the stock cross over. It doesn't have the durability (rust protection) that the aftermarket system affords. And I believe that the stock exhaust does not match the 3" diameter of the rest of the aftermarket system (could be wrong about that though). Plus the bland stock exhaust tips are still there. I contacted the vendor and he did arrange for me to be able to buy some new exhaust tips, in an effort to make things right. I think it was simply a miscommunication and a mistake on my part. But had I know the reality I would have given the Corsa cat back system a much closer look. Just wanted to advise others thinking about this exhaust, so you would be sure of what you were getting. :2tu:

I might add that the tech that did the install mentioned that the system went together very well and was one of the easiest that he had ever done.

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been able to get my engine light to go off after my installation (back to dealer 2x).

Very dissappointed in the quality of the sound too. Cracks undershift and sounds like a big rice rocket. Has anyone tried different exhaust on the Bellanger headers. Looking for a more "quality" sound?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The x-over is 2.5 inches, sort of defeats the porpose of headers, it should come off anyway. If you've went this far, go all the way and come straight out the side.

Did you remove the sec. cats. If not, there much restriction.

As far as the new system not being stainless, I wouldn't worry about that, you will never rust out the aluminized pipe, if that's what it is. There is a heat factor also with stainless. Not sure, but it's not good.

Some of these exhaust systems are ridiculous in price. If it made a huge or even decent difference, then I could understand it more.

Ditch the x-over, and that will relieve a lot of restriction, and some weight, as it is only about 15lbs. Most of the weight is the 4 foot long oem mufflers, and sec. cats.

It really don't make sense to go through all you did and leave on the 2.5 inch x-over, not to mention the 24 bends it has in it.

Skip

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip, I thought the cross over had a primary purpose to balance the exhaust as it exits out the pipes. Why would it matter so much if it was 2.5" if the rest of the exhaust was 3"? It's not like opening it up to 3" is going to get more flow through the pipe right after the header connection.

OP
OP
A

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The srt headers are already good enough. As I said time over time I can't see spending all that money for a few HP.

nitrous d..

look at all the work and HP gains that i got for under 5k

http://visionsofspeed.net/custpics/04viper/

Dave,

The SRT does not come with headers. It comes with an exhaust manifold.

I plan on adding the Roe supercharger, once it is released, and I want to have good air flow on the back side, to ensure that I get the most out of the blower. If you talk to guys that have already done the exhaust mod they will talk about how condensation drips out of the stock exhaust tip, after start up. While on the Belanger set up, it flies out of the tip. I think that that says something about the improvement in the flow.

I know that you got a lot of extra hp for low $, but nitrous is not a power adder that I am personally interested in.

Skip,

I agree 100% with what you are saying. That is why I was so dissapointed to find out that the stock cross-over was used. I could eliminate the cross-over, but then I would have the set up that is supposedly too loud. I am kind of torn as to what I should do. If the vendor would have just told me about the use of the stock cross over, I would just have gone with the Corsa, and would not have this problem right now.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the system a chance. I originally was really unhappy with the drone at first. It was so loud I didn't want to drive it. I even ordered the pieces to put the stock crossover in like you did. Those pieces are sitting in my garage because for some reason, after about 700 miles (or more), the sound is not nearly as bad. I would give it a chance. I ordered the headers and high flow cats and got rid of the second cat. I had heard that the sound got better after 500 or so miles but didn't believe it and thought it was bull. I stand corrected. In fact, Moundir and Andrew both drove the car and thought I was being a "woman" for complaining about the noise and really not find any problem with the noise. This was after the 700 miles of coarse. Just my experience. Oh and WOT sounds great.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the SRT came with short tube headers. I seen the Ram SRT exhaust, and it seems to be like that, but also appears to be made of cast iron. If this is the same setup on the SRT, then they look very short, and heavy. Headers on the SRT would be a good upgrade. I allways worry about fit, and heat. Theres not much room as it is, unless the headers are designed very compact.

I think headers are a must if you do head wor, SC, or TT. If you are not going to do those, headers may not be worth the expense, and fittment issues. I wish someone would build a quality header for a resonable price. Seems it should be around $600.00-$800.00 at the most. What's the big deal about a few pounds of twisted pipe.

Skip

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The srt headers are already good enough. As I said time over time I can't see spending all that money for a few HP.

nitrous d..

look at all the work and HP gains that i got for under 5k

http://visionsofspeed.net/custpics/04viper/

Dave,

The SRT does not come with headers. It comes with an exhaust manifold.

I plan on adding the Roe supercharger, once it is released, and I want to have good air flow on the back side, to ensure that I get the most out of the blower. If you talk to guys that have already done the exhaust mod they will talk about how condensation drips out of the stock exhaust tip, after start up. While on the Belanger set up, it flies out of the tip. I think that that says something about the improvement in the flow.

I know that you got a lot of extra hp for low $, but nitrous is not a power adder that I am personally interested in.

Skip,

I agree 100% with what you are saying. That is why I was so dissapointed to find out that the stock cross-over was used. I could eliminate the cross-over, but then I would have the set up that is supposedly too loud. I am kind of torn as to what I should do. If the vendor would have just told me about the use of the stock cross over, I would just have gone with the Corsa, and would
not have this problem right now.

IT IS A 321 HEADER CALLED A TRI-Y HEADER MADE OF 321 STAINLESS STEEL REFER TO PAGE 55 OF THE DODGE VIPER SRT10 THE OFFICIAL STORY :shocked:

NITROUS D.

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter
i installed a set of belangers 3" no cross over and the HP. gain was 20hp. not much i was told by Leo belanger that my strip times would better!!! i really wonder, i will try the car in NH. next week. For the 5,000 that i have invested it would have given me a good start on a blower!!!

OP
OP
A

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unclergy,

Dude, thanks a bunch for the feedback! That makes me feel a lot more at ease. Based on your experience, and Skip's input, I'm going to dump the crossover and go straight out the side. I had just read so many comments on how loud the system was that I felt I HAD to go with the crossover.

Skip,

Modding the exhaust in order to get the most bang from my future mods is pretty much the plan. Thanks for the info you've provided.

Dave,

Not interested in a ******* contest. Sorry if I'm wrong on this. I'm in Afghanistan getting @#%$ing shot at! I don't have access to any Viper books, manuals, periodicals, videos or other handy references. When I spoke to the Viper tech that did the install, on a satellite phone last week, he repeatedly referred to the "old exhaust maifold" when he described how the install of the headers went. That's mainly what I'm basing my info on. The bottom line, though, is that I'm here for some constructive help or suggestions (like the rest of the forum members have provided). Don't need "why didn't you do it like I did" kinda "support." That isn't helping me at all. But thanks anyway, I guess.

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Woodhouse install Belanger headers with highflow cats and no crossover Corsa Track exhaust. Love the sound and the marked drop in cabin temperature. Sills are not that warm after a drive. Just my $0.02

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Armorgod, No problem on feedback. Just be patient with it. It will seem like forever. For me, like I said, It took more than 500 miles. But now it is not bad.