Warning!!! Don't do this

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warning!!! Don\'t do this

When I bought my RT/10 the top was in perfect condition. I have only had it on the car three time. I keep (or shall I say kept) it in my trunk in case of an emergency.

Went for a cruise this weekend and it was very cool on our drive home so I decided to put the top on.

Took it out, assembled it and noticed a wear hole in the top. This must have happened while it was stored in the trunk :( :(

So learn from my mistake-Do NOT keep you convertible top in the trunk. Expensive lesson to say the least. Anyone have an estimate on what it will cost to get redone?

Bill

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Warning!!! Don\'t do this

That is why you should always keep it in the bag. I Personally don't keep the top in the truck, just stick it in the corner of the garage. I try not to drive it if rain is possible. For a new canvas cover try here and if you just want to patch it, most interior shops can do it for less that $30 :2tu:

OP
OP
W

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was in the bag and I towels around where the metal latches were. I thought I had done all that I should but sometimes sh*t happens.

Hmmmmm...I'll look into patching it-the holes is still very small.

Thanks for the link, I'll keep them in mind if it has to be replaced.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had mine redone and it looks like it came from the factory. I never even had it on the car but am thinking about selling it for $1,400. Storage bag included.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a well know problem with this type of fabric. It can wear easily just being in the trunk.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From someone who would like to park an RT10 next to the GTS some day, what makes this happen? I mean, it just rides around in the trunk, in the bag, not in the bag? What's the difference? How to prevent?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wonder if you could fix in a bind like the couple that springs a leak in their boat. She pulls something out of her purse and "plugs" it. It could be a cheap fix and you would have a hole box of spares if you get more leaks.

Cudaman :usa:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I always packed the top with small towels around each of the hard points to prevent hard contact. It just looked like it would wear through if just put away. Never had a problem for the 1st 4 or 5 years. After that I seldom kept the roof in the trunk. Same thing with the windows and the metal tabs.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lee- Just the weight of the Soft Top on a bumpy ride can wear a hole through the fabric. I put microfiber cloth at the 4 stress points. Two at the handles, two at the back fingers. Everytime you store the top in the trunk your taking a chance on damaging it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can't prevent it. Mine is getting worn, but I'm not worried much about it. The ONLY time I use it is in emergency situations and as leaky as they are brand new, another hole or two isn't going to drown me.

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I glued (hot iron) black patches on the interior side to cover the two wear points. Barely visible and they don't seem to wear as much as the cloth top.

--------------------
Michel
<font color="red">I love the way she takes her top off</font>
<font color="#666666">
My Viper Page
</font>

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Assuming you store your top inside, should you store it closed (folded up) or open? Does it matter?

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same thing happened to mine. It had been used 2 or 3 times at the most.
A member from this site sent me his top a few years back. The fabric is perfect, but the hardware is a mess. Some day I will make one good top out of the 2, and still have some spare parts to help another owner out.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

Just put the hardtop on for the winter and guess what ?? Slight hole in corner of ragtop, oh well, as another said it is just in case of the extreme emergency, I have used once in 3 years. Not going to loose any sleep over this one.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score

same happen to me when i first got my car and dealer replaced it under warranty. gave me a brand new top. now i just dont place it in the trunk no more. i keep in in the garage unfolded on a blanked.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Assuming you store your top inside, should you store it closed (folded up) or open? Does it matter?

DO NOT store is "put together" it will bow the side rails. The good news is when your side rails do bow. Send them to Doug Levin, he has a special jig he built to straighten them back out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62