Washing Viper

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got the Viper back from a preventative 500-mile, end of break-in oil/filter change and will be washing and detailihg it for the first time. Question: how do people hose down the car with water both for the initial hosing to get off dust etc to the final post-wash rinse? I usually rinse my cars by removing the spray nozzle and just letting the water flow from the hose end to "sheet" the water off the car and minimize the amount of water I have to chamois off the car. I noticed that while there are some channels and ducts below the hood vents to direct water away from the engine compartment, what do folks do to prevent water from geting into the engine area? Should I also just use a gentle, nozzle-off approach when pre-washing the hood? I also noticed that the top edge of the rear window glass on the convertible top actually has a slightly opening (presumably to vent the interior). Same approach for the convertible top?

One poster suggested putting some towels under the vents when washing. Any other tips or ideas?

And yes, I know, I am completely off my rocker . . . . Thanks for humoring me.

/Rich

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked at the top detailing place in Vancouver for last summer. They have contracts with the Ferrari, Lambo, Merc, Aston Martin etc. dealerships. If you have a powerwasher its ok to use on the car at like 200 psi. Use a wide spray nozzle. To get the initial dirt off you should just rinse over the car once, and if you have like a dishsoap its good to soapy coat once over the car. This helps remove any tough dirt and previous wax. We use a sort of acid bath that crystallizes on the car. You can sort of "sheet" the water off at the end, but you'll find that if you've waxed your car previously and you're just doing a quick wash in between waxes, the water will sort of sheet off anyways.

Don't worry about the vents too much. Just avoid spraying water directly into them. Even if you do it's not the end of the world. The back glass doesnt really let much water in, I found. Just dont powerwash right on it for a long time. Hope this helped. If you want any other info, PM me.

Nico

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about the engine vents. However if you removed the wind/water baffle in the air intake on the hood as I did, I would put a towel or chamois directly in the air intake to block the water from entering and getting the filters wet.

As for the engine getting wet, water is not going to hurt it. After washing I simply lift the hood and hand dry. Very simple.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
California Duster for the dust on the car. Even after I wash the Viper, in the garage, if it get dusty I use the california duster as well. The summer months bring all the pollen.

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering, has anybody ever taken there Viper through a car wash?

I know it takes away from the pleasure of washing and waxing such a beautiful automobile, but what happens to you guys when you spend a hard day driving it on the track or just out and about and just want to get it clean.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, when I first purchased it. Not bad. Was one of those special car washes for higher end vehicles. Did a good job, but just did not do it for me after a while. Plus they dry it without care leading to swirl marks. Other than that it was fine.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive owned 2 vipers and have never put water on them. I wax the car, after it gets dusty i use a duster once or twice after driving, Then i will use a detail spray a couple of rides later, then back to waxing after about 10-12 rides. The car is in a heated garage and not driven daily. Eagle

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive owned 2 vipers and have never put water on them. I wax the car, after it gets dusty i use a duster once or twice after driving, Then i will use a detail spray a couple of rides later, then back to waxing after about 10-12 rides. The car is in a heated garage and not driven daily. Eagle

In the summer that is pretty much how I am unless we go on a major run where the car gets filthy. If it does not get that dirty, duster and wax do the trick.

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do you at least take water to the wheels occasionally? I can't imagine how you could keep them clean without rinsing off the brake dust once in a while.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the summer that is pretty much how I am unless we go on a major run where the car gets filthy. If it does not get that dirty, duster and wax do the trick.

That's great! This no washing amazes me! But unfortunately, I'm always needing water to keep clean. For six months of the year I am constantly hydrating/scrubbin bug guts off my front, mirrors, and even the sides. Either you got no bugs where you live, or our driving style (speeds) are entirely different.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's great! This no washing amazes me! But unfortunately, I'm always needing water to keep clean. For six months of the year I am constantly hydrating/scrubbin bug guts off my front, mirrors, and even the sides. Either you got no bugs where you live, or our driving style (speeds) are entirely different.

Those bugs are where the problem is. They are always a nightmare to get off, especially in the summer time.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two items.
Be very careful taking your Viper through a car wash. Most automatic washes have tracks too narrow for our wide rear wheels. Good chance they will scuff up your wheels.

For bug removal consider using a Bounce dryer sheet. When wet it emulsifies the big guts and they can then be rinsed off. Kind of yucky, but effective. Be careful, as the bug carcasses can scratch your finish.

metalfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out crspotless.com there filtering system is great. Does not leave any spots.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a tip and its going to sound crazy but I have tried it and it works great. Before I go on long trips I spray the bumper with, are you ready for this......" PAM " . It works like a charm, when your back take out a rag and just wipe those bugs away........

Also after I wash my car I take it out for a quick boot. The engine temp, will dry any water in the compartment and it the drive leave the car shining clean.

Patrick

NeilS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich I have to tell you that in 1.5 years I have never wash my viper with water. The only area I use water on is the tires ,wheels and wheel wells.I have found that washing and drying caused scrathes in the paint. After driving I use a california duster then use quick detailers with a microfiber towel. I have found this is a better way to keep the surface paint clean and scratch free. If you want to use water you dont have to worry about leaks all the vipers are given a final water test to see if any leaks are present. See the viper magazine winter 05 article on the viper assembly line process. I would also suggest using a leaf blower to dry off the car to get all the water out of unaccesible areas Have fun at least your driving your car I cant wait till spring to wake up my snake!

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The burning smell i had i noticed was definitly from the water going into the engine bay. Although i will try to minimize it next time i wash the car, what do all of you do when it rains? that is if some of you daily drive the car or just happen to get stuck in rain. I know driving not much rain has a chance to get into it since you are moving. But what if you are parked and go out to the car and it is raining? As much as i don't want to get it wet, i am pretty sure they made the car knowing it will get wet from rain or a wash. So its probably ok to be wet.

I also noticed my driver side window is leaking water when i washed the car. Right at the top where the rubber trys to meet the top of the window is not all the way flat allowing a bit of water just to drip threw.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Judging from the tone of this thread, one could think the Viper is going to melt if exposed to water! I have driven my Viper in the pouring rain during the holidays in Northern California, and I have washed it a few times so far with a garden hose, a bucket of car soap and cloth sponge followed with a California blade, blower, and terry towels. It's amazing how the hood vents work; the engine bay stays very clean; just wipe down the radiator towers. Interior didn't leak a drop during the rains. It got a good test going down the freeway in heavy rain with wind. The only part I'm having a hard time with is the rocker area behind the front wheels; must be exhaust byproduct from the cats. It's white so there's some tiny black spots that the car soap can't quite get off. I'll have to try some cleaner/polish.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont buy this "washing with no water" stuff, if you've ever owned a black car you realize how much abrasive dust can settle on a car, even one that is covered and rarely driven.

The water simply rinses most of the abrasion off - w/out it I fear you are just rubbing into the clear coat small particals of dust swirling it up...

With silver you could get away with washing less & washing w/out water since swirls are barely noticable-

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Judging from the tone of this thread, one could think the Viper is going to melt if exposed to water! I have driven my Viper in the pouring rain during the holidays in Northern California, and I have washed it a few times so far with a garden hose, a bucket of car soap and cloth sponge followed with a California blade, blower, and terry towels. It's amazing how the hood vents work; the engine bay stays very clean; just wipe down the radiator towers. Interior didn't leak a drop during the rains. It got a good test going down the freeway in heavy rain with wind. The only part I'm having a hard time with is the rocker area behind the front wheels; must be exhaust byproduct from the cats. It's white so there's some tiny black spots that the car soap can't quite get off. I'll have to try some cleaner/polish.

With time the H2O does a number on screws,engine components,ect. I hate those pessty rust spots. I have never washed mine and like the mint look devoid of any water spots and rust. I use detailer mist and go through one bottle. At 4 to 5 dollars I prefer the results. I would never put the car through a car wash; if you have read the threats you have noticed how sensetive the rims are.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Black cars are more high maintenance.

Bat™

Let alone any dark color. I have come to the conclusion that dark colors, especially black, always make the car look the best but they swirl up too easily. That is why I do not think I will ever buy another black car again. Too much work and looks bad after a few washes no matter how hard to try to not swirl up the car.

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very true, I've washed the car 3 times since getting it last November, and those damn swirl marks keep showing up! I just had my car detailed and the marks are now gone :) . My detailer gave me a bottle of this spray on wax that's supposed to rid the finish of swirls, we'll see.

Bat™

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very true, I've washed the car 3 times since getting it last November, and those damn swirl marks keep showing up! I just had my car detailed and the marks are now gone :) . My detailer gave me a bottle of this spray on wax that's supposed to rid the finish of swirls, we'll see.

Bat™

Sorry, but there are no magic spray on waxes to remove swirls...they only hide them with silicones and oils...sort of like wiping a little oil or wd-40 on a scratched watch lens...it looks clear and shiny..but for a short time

The ONLY way to rid swirls ,spider marks, scratches, etc...is with heat and an abrasive compound. Like PC 7424 and 3M products

Dave

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I should have said was that it hides them ;) .

Bat™

Bat

Black is the toughest color to keep swirl free...I have a good friend who has a 99 RT/10 and he hasn't washed it in 4-5 years....It never sees rain , and after a drive it gets the cali duster treatment then spray zaino or Pinnacle...the latter being the better (carnuba based) He usually "removes" all swirls/etc during the winter months and his finish is perfect.(heat and abrasive) The key to keeping a Viper in near perfect cond. is not to wash it. Washing by itself makes small swirls /etc...and when your car is in the bright sunlight...you will be amazed at how many their are.

Treat the rims as you do the cars paint...and do not rub any brake dust or dirt with any pressure. If you do have to wash the car or rims use 2 buckets.

Wash the rims with a good first rinse, and them lots of suds and pat wash them gently.

One pail for soap and one for a rinse to keep the dirt off the sponge or Micro-fiber towel. Try drying first with a leaf blower or use compressed air to get most of the water off. Less is best on the paint and light pressure with any towels.

PM with any questions.

Best, Dave :2tu:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bat™

Yeah it is a pain.

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I should have said was that it hides them ;) .

Bat™

Bat

Black is the toughest color to keep swirl free...I have a good friend who has a 99 RT/10 and he hasn't washed it in 4-5 years....It never sees rain , and after a drive it gets the cali duster treatment then spray zaino or Pinnacle...the latter being the better (carnuba based) He usually "removes" all swirls/etc during the winter months and his finish is perfect.(heat and abrasive) The key to keeping a Viper in near perfect cond. is not to wash it. Washing by itself makes small swirls /etc...and when your car is in the bright sunlight...you will be amazed at how many their are.

Treat the rims as you do the cars paint...and do not rub any brake dust or dirt with any pressure. If you do have to wash the car or rims use 2 buckets.

Wash the rims with a good first rinse, and them lots of suds and pat wash them gently.

One pail for soap and one for a rinse to keep the dirt off the sponge or Micro-fiber towel. Try drying first with a leaf blower or use compressed air to get most of the water off. Less is best on the paint and light pressure with any towels.

PM with any questions.

Best, Dave :2tu:

Thanks Dave :2tu:

Bat™

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson