wax problems

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My black Viper has the same marks your talking about on it...Zaino treatment would not remove.... I've tried everything and the only thing that will take them out is to have the car Pro. Buffed out.....
You must be registered for see images

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tim:

How are you washing and waxing your car now? What products are you using? Does it get worse with each wash and wax?

It sounds like you might be using a product with some abrasive cleaners in it. Are you using soft terry cloth for all of your steps (and switching to clean ones each time)? Has anyone tried to buff your car before?

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve got a black RT/10. Here’s an easy way to make your car perfect. Buy a dual action (DA) polisher. This is not a rotary buffer. ANYONE can use a DA polisher without damaging the finish. IT WILL NOT BURN THROUGH! Meguiars sells them.
Strip all the wax per Zaino instructions.
Use a good quality glazing/polishing compound with the polisher. Any good automotive paint supply store can provide help. I use Meguiars SHOW CAR GLAZE or HAND POLISH. Apply the compound using the DA polisher per the directions on the glaze or polish. This step is required BEFORE using Zaino. It will remove all swirls and scratches and give you a perfect show car finish. Once it looks the way you want it, protect and deepen the finish with Zaino, starting with Z1. Follow Zaino’s steps EXACTLY as instructed INCLUDING THE TOWELS. With the DA polisher and Zaino products, maintaining a black show car finish is EASY. The RT/10 is my first black car and using this technique I will definitely consider another black car.
Joe Bliss

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black cars look incredible when clean, but are very tough to keep that way. Ditto on the waxing. I have had great luck with the Zaino, including using both #5's (swirl marks and small scratches) and #2 for the shows as a finish gloss. Even body detailers tell me how great it looks - after 11,000 miles. I am just glad that Woodhouse is going to "refresh" my Zaino job while it is sitting there for the next several weeks and I am not dinging them for a rental car - right Bill? ;o)

As for owning a black car, I absolutely would buy another, another, and another. All three of my current cars are black (Viper GTS, Durango GTS, and Yukon XL) and many of my previous cars were as well (Suburban, two Impala SS', two Buick Grand Nationals, Lexus, Navigator, etc.). Tough to keep clean? You bet. Worth the extra effort? Absolutely!

Chris

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have a 94 RT/10 with the same "micro scratches" that you refer to. My best friend has been detailing high end cars for over 10 years and he works wonders with paint. When he got hold of my Viper, under fluorescent lights, he deemed it a detailers nightmare. He tried everything from 3M swirl remover to 3M cutting compound for after wet/dry sanding with 1,500 grit, Liquid Ebony, and a host of different products. I borrowed a Zaino kit from a buddy with a Viper and used that as well. It didn't work either.

What he found worked was multiple coats of paint sealant wax put on with an orbital. He purchases this paint sealant from his distributor of detailing supplies. He applied a few heavy coats and believe it or not, the "micro scratches" became more difficult to see, even under flourescent lights.

Zaino may be some good stuff, but it isn't always the answer. So many people have success with it and that is great, however, I get disgusted when someone posts a thread and you get a million people recommending Zaino, when in fact it may not be the answer, as in my case and in an above post in this thread.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Tim.

Sal's the MAN!!! As you know, we also have a black RT/10. It came with TONS of swirl marks. The key for this car has been to follow Sal's advice EXACTLY. The first step is to buy towels from an UPSCALE dept. store, noting they are expensive. We washed them a couple of times before using them and shake them VERY well before use. We have found that this black Viper takes at least 4-5 coats of #5 to treat it's surface problems. The main thing is STRICT attention to the directions, using only a VERY SMALL amount of the #5 at a time, followed by several more coats of #5 before applying #2. The results have been VERY satisfying!!! The blue, silver, and red Vipers are MUCH easier to handle(at least at our house). Good luck, Happy Holidays, and a SPECIAL THANKS to Sal Zaino for all the HELP!!

Steve and Elaine Fess Ind/Ky VCA