wax

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any of you guys use 3M wax? or do you guys mostly just stick with zaino and meguiars. if you, please, comment

mahesh ramanadham
2001 sapphire rt/10, connelly interior, MGW gripper, Jesus fish
supergrin.gif

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just tried Maguires cleaner wax to try to get rid of water spots and fine scratchs. I didn't like the results. I guess I'll try Zaino, but if I spend 72.00 for their starter kit and I'm not satisfied I'll be pi$$ed.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you are well versed in the use of a power buffer/air buffer, avoid the use of one. (Air tools can also spray oil) You could cause alot of damage to your paint. And, make a big mess with polish going everywhere. An orbital buffer is a much safer alternative, but with the rounded shape of a viper, I would think that it would be little improvement over hand polishing. I use Zaino, and have found nothing better. Oh yeah, a Griot's Best of Show Wax...a friend of mine used it, and it wore off very, very quickly.

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Riotac:
I use 3M products on my Viper.. i use the 3M scratch followed by the 3M polish.. i don't use the Wax..
my car is black and the scratch remover is great..
At Willow Springs this year another black viper owner asked me how many coats of Zaino i had on it.. i guess that was a complement.. .. that being said.. when im done with the 3M.. im going to buy some Zaino to see what all the hype is about for myself..

Bill
usa-clear-s.gif

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BACKDOC7,
You said you use the 3M scratch (swirl) remover on your car.
How often do you do this, and have you, or are you afraid of going through the clear coat?
I fear cutting through the clear with any brand swirl remover, something I really don't want to do.
Later,

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
Unless you are well versed in the use of a power buffer/air buffer, avoid the use of one. (Air tools can also spray oil) You could cause alot of damage to your paint. And, make a big mess with polish going everywhere. An orbital buffer is a much safer alternative, but with the rounded shape of a viper, I would think that it would be little improvement over hand polishing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you mention that, I was planning on picking up a (eletric/batt) buffer on my way home today (boring weekend ahead I think.)

I have zero experience with a buffer, but I REALLY don't have the time (or the energy) right now to hand buff one, let alone three vehicles. What kind of trouble am I looking at?

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino works great on tired paint as well. Tried it on my RX-7; it saved me a paint job I was planning for it. Wax removal -&gt; clay bar -&gt; Z1 -&gt; 2 coats of Z5 later and paint looks almost new. Incredible.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BackDoc,
Thanks,
Yes, the Zaino Product Z5 is the swirl remover - filler.

ViperJim,
Funny you should ask, I asked Sal Zaino this today the same question as follows, and his reply, and my reply to his reply ....You get the picture.

----- Original Message -----
To: Don Ruckman
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: Product Purchase

Don Ruckman wrote:

Zaino,I Just put in the mail a check and order form for some Zaino products. There must be a better way to order your fine products than via "snail mail". By phone and credit card, or online and credit card, or even online Pay Pal ???I know you have customers all over the country, but I am in Washington State, and who knows when my order will reach you.Thanks in advance for the products.Later,Don Ruckman Email: [email protected]16519 120th Ave SERenton, WA 98058
1996 RT/10

Sorry, as of yet I do not accept credit card orders. I do ship via UPS
within 24 hours upon receipt of your order and check.

Thank You,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800 http://www.zainobros.com

Sal,
I know this is the procedure, and you said:
"Sorry, as of yet I do not accept credit card orders. I do ship via UPS
within 24 hours upon receipt of your order and check."

Does this mean there is hope?? (just kidding)

Thanks again,

Later,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJim,
I'm with you, I HATE writing checks, usually have to have my wife show me how -- well....; and then I had to go to the post office to get some 3 cent stamps to augment the 34 cent stamps, which means we get to pay more for the inefficiency of the PO.
Later,

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been using Zaino for six years, and the procedure has always been the same..."as of yet no credit cards". Oh well it's worth the wait and additional inconvenience! I use the 3M polish one a year to remove the finest scratches, then follow and stay with the Zaino products the rest of the year.

Bobby Likis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to what research I've done (includes Seikens Paint), it's all but impossible to achieve the best shine by hand when compared to a buffer. I've heard that the best buffer available to car owners (I can't speak for industry professionals who work with paint 24/7) is a Porter Cable Orbital buffer. I've ordered one and plan to use it along with Sal Zaino's products. I will say that since Sal added his catalyst (that's the blue stuff in the tiny vial), it reduced my cleaning time tremendously.

After I use the machine, I'll report the results to all.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers...an orbital buffer is your best bet. A regular spin type buffer could burn through the paint...they can spin very fast and only spin on 1 axis. Also a spin buffer slings the material all over the place...making the cleanup almost as bad as the job itself. I have never used a power buffer of any type on my Viper, due to the shape of the car. An orbital wil not get into the corners and along edges, so you wind up doing that part by hand anyhow. The other night I used my orbital on my car trailer..and for that it works great.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers,
Yes, Matt is correct; I bought, some time ago, an inexpensive 10" ORBITAL slow speed (2600 Orbits/min), just to save, if you will, elbow grease.
Use very little pressure, the buffer weight is sufficient for final polish buffing with a fluffy pad or even the new micro fiber pads which work great. A little pressure might be (is) required when using scratch/swirl remover.
Later,

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ruckdr:

i use the swirl remover every time i polish. (about every other month or so).. i really don't think.. at least from what i have herd and read, that it will go through the clear coat.. but rather.. it just fills in the swirls so they are less reflective to the eye and therefore, less noticable.. it does a great job.. im sure it's not doing anything to remove them.. just cover them temporarily..
that being said.. does Zaino have a swirl remover in there product line?
usa-clear-s.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte