We Must All Become Viper Salesmen!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was discussing the softness in the exotics market with a Viper owner who was selling his car and we both concluded that perhaps the biggest problem with Viper was that it is still a "mystery car."

A lot of car purchases are based on having a car that attracts attention.

The lay person usually picks the Corvette for this criteria.

The problem is that people just don't understand, even when you tell them, the amount of attention you get in a Viper.

I think that every Viper owner must be a "missionary" and "sell" Vipers at every opportunity.

If a Viper owner knows anyone who might be a potential buyer that is unaware of this dimension, that Viper owner must make a serious effort to "convert the heathen."

There are perhaps only 5000 GTS's in the US and there should be a demand for them that surpasses Corvette.

The problem is that when you read about Vipers in magazines, they basically treat the Viper as just another car.

The one thing the Viper is NOT, is just another car!

One of the biggest things the Viper owners could do is make a good showing at Bike Week at Daytona because I can tell you from 1st hand experience that Bikers LOVE Vipers and with over 250k bikes in Daytona, seeing a Viper and the attention others give it, will probably push a couple of people to decide to buy a Viper.

Whenever I meet someone who has had Corvettes and/or Ferraris and exhibits an interest in my Viper, I pitch them with facts and enthusiasm that if Pemberton saw me in action, he would give me a job.

And lastly, the more miles we put on our Vipers, the more people will see them and will see how others react to them.

I would bet that the average yearly mileage of a Viper is 4000. If that average was increased to 8000, twice as many sightings would occur and this would keep the Viper in peoples' minds when they consider a car purchase.

There were studies done with transcendental meditation that demonstrated a threshold effect to the following: If 7% of a population practices TM, then there is an overall effect on the psyche of that population. Basically, the population becomes less stressful, less violent, more peaceful and happier.

I think that a threshold effect could occur with the Viper and that we are currently below that threshold.

Kids, adolescents, teenagers, and a lot of the import guys think the Viper is the phattest car around. Perhaps the least appreciative are the muscle car guys which is quite a shame because they usually oogle Cobras pretty good.

Think about it, if each one of us "sells" a friend to get a Viper, we will all make a lot more money on the appreciation of our cars than if we were a salesman at a Viper dealership.

I think it is essential that we are out there "selling" Viper.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
I have been one since the day i got the car.
I asked Bill for a dozen business cards and put them in the trunk.
As people said i want one. I would hand them the car. So far, I sold around 2.

Best wishes
JIM

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"As people said I want one, I hand them the car."

So that's how Pemberton does it. Hey Jim, can I have one
wink.gif
?

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The entire "adult toy" market is soft. Just check how many no reserves there are at the Barrett Jackson Auction. Sorta like when the Harley craze went soft. It'll reverse the pendulum will swing. Of course if you bought your viper for an investment, well it's gonna take some more time, unless you bought a used one like poor ole me.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The local dealer gave me a pretty good deal when I bought my car. Part of the reason for that was they knew I'd be driving it around town.

When I thought about maybe trading it in, part of the outrage that ensued was due to the fact the people who work with me wouldn't see it driving around town. They said there's not a time when a Viper doesn't attract attention driving through traffic. They also think its pretty amusing when I take it to Walmart and park it there.

It's sort of an inspiration.

If you're trying to impress someone and you show up in a Corvette its kind of like "How original" I think the same thing goes for Porsches.

The Viper makes a statement whenever it shows up.

I think its also pretty easy for non Viper owners to get rumors started about a Viper. How many people are really going to know if he's telling the truth or not?

If they ask us they're probably going to think we're going to misrepresent it.

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confident that the value of our snakes will increase as the economy turns around. Unfortunately this may be a while given uncertainty about war, etc.

Everything will be fine--unless you have to get your money out now. In the mean time, let's enjoy ourselves.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I've had mine since Aug 14th and now have 4100 miles
redface.gif
). 4 solo's 1 Willow Springs. These cars need to be run! I drive every where, poeple can't see them in a garage under a car cover
redface.gif
)~

02 GTS YELLOW