WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT, SRT &/C NEED TO GO ON DIET!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMHO ALL - all i read in most post (not all) is dodge please more HP. if the SRT group
would just shed some pounds from the SRT & SRT/C, the difference in performance would
be huge.

so my plea to SRT is - PLEASE PUT THE VIPER ON A DIET!!!!!!!!!!!!

400lbs would be a good goal to shot for :2tu: anybody else feel the same and
if so where should they start.

IT CANT BE THAT HARD, CAN IT ?

tom

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Carbon concept was only a couple of hundred lbs. lighter and the CompCoupe is approx. 400 lbs lighter if that give you some idea of what would have to be removed from the car get to that low of weight. like i said above this car at under 3000lbs would really be fun, of course with more horsepower also.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what are ways we can reduce the SRT weight easily (and maintain reasonable driving)?

Wheels?
Tires?
Cats?
Crossover?
What else is there to remove/reduce?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wheels and non run flats approx --40 lbs
cross over ------------------------10-15 lbs
someone make a carbon fibre hood 10-15 lbs
different seats racing style 8-10 lbs
brake rotors(2 pc.) 8-20 lbs
remove spare tire 0 lbs

ok i can remove my spare tire and save 30 lbs

I don't think the carbon concept maintained the usable soft top(CF hardtop only). I think anything much beyond these things are going to cost really big bucks to gain anything more substantial. i would love to see this car below the 3000 lb weight

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could add "diet" to that and lose 15 to 20 lbs (for me).

My point is that beyond those things there is no straight forward reductions available that I am aware of.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you want to really go nuts CF shell seat-
remove lots of interior sound insulation----
remove carpet-------------------------------
remove folding top(true roadster)-----------
if above may as well take out elect windows-
_______
maybe another 100lbs

i don"t know if i could go this far and i still need A/C and a radio

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ceramic brakes are expensive, but would reduce weight further still.

How 'bout an aluminum frame? Cost too much? maybe, but that other manufacturer did it, and they aren't asking an arm and a leg for it.

Carbon fiber body panels wherever possible.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love the idea of an alum frame that could save a bunch i would guess 80-150+ lbs, usig hydro-forming may even save some more or the piece together kind like a prowler or panoz eperante. i am sure well get some frame experts chiming in anytime(i hope)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carbon fibre is getting more common and has to be getting cheaper.
Would an aluminum frame handle the weight and tourque of the V10 as good as a steel frame? Would the frame twist on hard accceleration and flex in corners? Would the amount of aluminum needed compared to steel make it impractical?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what are ways we can reduce the SRT weight easily (and maintain reasonable driving)?

Wheels?
Tires?
Cats?
Crossover?
What else is there to remove/reduce?

Wheels DONE
Tires DONE
Cats DONE
Crossover DONE
Lose the gut for a 6 pac (reduction 20 lbs) - IN PROGRESS :smirk:

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are missing out on the simple stuff, but little things that make it all cushy and [******] that everyone ****** and moans over.

Take a look at the GT3 porsche and 360CS, or more so what they don't have.

Seats: Stock seats are nice but weight a ton. Get something more race orientated and you can drop 40lbs easy

Carpet: Or lack there of, you would be amazed how much that carpet and sound deadening crap weighs.

Cats have to stay on from the factory, but you can always cut them off.

Ditch the 19's and run flats. CCW or Kinesis 18's all around will drop a considerable amount of weight.

Wanna drop more weight, lexan windows all around are a good start but leaning towards track only setup.

Then onto little things. Remove the spring hood and trunk/hatch hinges in favor of simple billet pieces.

A/C if you gut the dash, heat exchanger, condenser, compressor, etc. thats a good 50lbs.

You can drop 400lbs from an SRT coupe pretty easily but will be giving up some of the cushy stuff. 200lbs comes easy with little negative side effects.

What would be even better, learn how to drive the flippin car and don't cry so much about little chit. Did you ever see PMUM (rip) ******** about the viper being heavy, underpowered, this and that when racing against FACTORY TEAMS! Nope, and he layed a good smack down on them as well. That should tell you something.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radio? Speakers? Amplifier? Windshield wipers, motors, and bolts. Washer fluid reservoir? Foglights? Airbags? CDs, spare change, cigarette lighters, polishing buffs, towels, cleaners?

Driveshaft cover plate?

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are ways to make the glass thinner instead of using Lexan. C5 Z06 did this.

As mentioned before

Aluminum Frame
CF Fenders and Hood
New Wheels and Tires
Lose crossover.
Titanium in the engine whenver possible.
On the new Coupe the entire new roof section should be CF like on the new M6 or Auminum.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
There are ways to make the glass thinner instead of using Lexan. C5 Z06 did this.

As mentioned before

Aluminum Frame
CF Fenders and Hood
New Wheels and Tires
Lose crossover.
Titanium in the engine whenver possible.
On the new Coupe the entire new roof section should be CF like on the new M6 or Auminum.

"Auminum"? Oh, yeah, I know that stuff. Its made of unobtainium.