Weights of Various 13" Front Brake Rotors

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weights of Various 13\" Front Brake Rotors

As you may we aware we run our 2 '96 GTS's in Super Stock class in Viper Days. In staying in Super Stock we are very limited in the mods that we can make. One of the restrictions that we face is that we have to use stock calipers and stock diameter rotors. So I have spent some time researching and trying out various alternatives for 13" diamater front rotors.

Staying with 13" rotors puts an extra premium on cooling the front rotors. There are a lot of different approaches to this involving a lot of different variables. So while I would like to quantify the cooling performance of some of the alternatives I have not yet been able to do so.

One area that I can quantify is the weight difference between various alternatives. Since weight is the enemy when you are trying to go fast, particularly unsprung weight and even more particularly rotational inertia, lighter brake rotors offer a performance advantage. So I offer up the following comparison information:

Stock Dodge OEM 1 piece 13" front rotors - 48.5 lbs per pair

StopTech 1 piece replacement Aerorotors - 39 lbs per pair

Sean Roe 2 piece 13" Coleman rotors with custom aluminum hats (including all hardware) - 36 lbs per pair

StopTech 2 piece 13" Aerorotors with aluminum hats (including all hardware) - 35 lbs per pair

So quite aside from the additional brake cooling that these alternatives offer you can take as much as 13.5 lbs of some extremely critical weight off of your car compared to stock. And while I can't quantify the rotational inertia change is should be appreciable as well.....

I hope that this helps!!! Feel free to contact me with any questions on these alternatives....