WELL JUST OVER 300 MILES AND ALREADY HAD PROBLEMS

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had my 2005 red viper for just under 2 months and have just over 300 miles on it. I just happened to be driving right by the Dodge dealership (at the mall across the street) when I noticed some ticking sounds coming from under the hood and a loss of power. The car died on me. I was able to get it back started and popped the hood and I could hear loud ticking as the engine was vibrating. Knowing next to nothing about cars I decided to to try and make it across the street to the Dodge place, of course the service department isnt open on saturday or sunday so I will have to keep it there until monday in their service bay. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Im assuming the worst of course, like the engine is screwed and has to be replaced. :confused:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I could be damn near anything. From a bad battery to fuel pump failure. Don't worry she will be good as new. Growing pains. P.S. that's what a warranty is for. Maybe they will give you a neon to drive for awhile!!! :D

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it's a few cylinders short with the vibration and is stalling. Should be a minor fix. Just a guess but let us know when it's fixed.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well welcome to Viperdom. The cars (IMO) are beautiful works of art, and when running right are totally awesome, but unfortunately the "Dodge Qality" is still there.

Just be glad its under warranty and enjoy it when its fixed.

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well welcome to Viperdom. The cars (IMO) are beautiful works of art, and when running right are totally awesome, but unfortunately the "Dodge Qality" is still there.

Just be glad its under warranty and enjoy it when its fixed.
Four Vipers and tens of thousands of miles later and NO serious problems, very few minor problems. Very bullet proof car especially with the way it is driven. Back to the vetts for you.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four Vipers and tens of thousands of miles later and NO serious problems, very few minor problems. Very bullet proof car especially with the way it is driven. Back to the vetts for you.
-----------------------------------------------------------
ABADASP

Either you must be one of the lucky ones, based upon the number of problems other SRT-10 posters have reported with their brand new Vipers, or you are a victim of the "love is blind" mentality.

How would define a "minor problem" for a new car? I would define a minor problem as "squeaks, rattles".

Bolts backing out, O2 sensors failing, flickering headlights, clogged-catalytic convertors,pressure-plate fingers failing, etc. to me would constitute major quality isses for any new car,and would be totally outrageous for an 85K car. But, again, I've spent the last 28 years driving Toyotas, not dodges (or fords orchevies for that matter) so maybe I expect a little more out of a new car.

I was perfectly happy with my Viper until it hit 4k miles and started running like a Yugo. Now that it is fixed, I am still happy with the car, but I fully expect to have other failures down the road.

So let's be honest. How many VCA forum members were really surprised at the "WELL JUST OVER 300 MILES AND ALREADY HAD PROBLEMS" thread?

My guess is not many.

Regards.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
redsrt10 is the expert opinion for all of us. He ignores those of us that indicate we have not had problems, and are happy with this and previous Vipers. He represents the vocal minority. So out of the 6 or so thousand SRT-10's that have been sold how many have complained here (not counting those with serious modifications)? Wow that is a high percentage.

I still think his problems were more poor mechanic rather than bad car related.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REDSRT03...I've had my 03 for 2 years and I haven't had any problems. It's a great sports car... but I did have a leaking fuel pump & a broken hand brake on my TOYOTA PICKUP.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had 3 Vipers '95 RT, '96 GTS, '05 SRT, and have had no problems other than a rubber weather strip on my GTS. I polish the heck out of them but I drive hard. I think they are very bullet proof, but now and then I am sure there are some lemons.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yea forgot to mention I had two O2 sensors go out on my '05 Lexus LX470 with 2000 miles.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you happen to see a harmonic balancer rolling down the road ????

Lets see....problems I have had: Balancer came off(left the wife stranded), differential broke, a week later a halfshaft broke, still has a huge wind leak in the top, the doors squeek. But over all it is the quality I would expect out of a $80,000 car ............. NOT !!!!!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got 33,000 miles on my GTS since new. Here is the repairs I had done under warranty.
1. Window trim pieces came off, replaced
2. Tremec T56 tranny shifter wouldn't return to center, replaced
3. Right rear wheel hub went bad, replaced
4. Center console cracked, replaced
5. POS Alpine CD player went out, but out of warranty. SOL.

I'd like to sound dissapointed, but for comparison, my wifes' Lexus with 15,000 miles on it has a clunk in the brake caliper, and wouldn't start twice in 70 degree weather. So much for the faultless Lexus.

Now you wanna hear about a complete piece of crap? 1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille! Had so many frustrating problems with that car since new, too many to list. Absolute junk, total waste of my time. Would definitely NOT buy another chintzy, plastic, poorly built Caddy. Their awful product has convinced me to never buy one again.

People laugh at Fords, but my small fleet of 3 Ford trucks, one Taurus, and one Mustang are doing GREAT! I mean, really great! 130,000 miles on my F150, still oil tight and runs strong. My GMC is ok too, but not old enough to judge yet.

I also had a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that had dozens of problems. Real junk...Only good thing was the straight six engine, which was REAL strong. Too bad it was installed in that POC Jeep.

Have had many other cars over the years, but those are the major lemons worthy of reporting. In contrast, the quality of the Fords was a bit of a surprise to me, I didn't expect them to be so good. Reasonably priced, and dependable.

Overall, I think maybe my Viper has had just a touch more problems than some of my other cars, but after all is said and done, I am satisfied with it.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see the same old mentality still prevails here. The only thing wrong with the viper (I love mine) is that it is made by dodge. All chrysler products are junk. I agree with redsrt.
I would love to get the new 300C srt8, but am afraid to do so
So why did I buy the viper? Because when you look at it and drive it--it is love.

I have owned them all at one time or another. The only thing that stands out is service with cars like the MBZ, lexus, infiniti, porsche. At least one is treated with politeness and a loaner without begging :2tu:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I laugh at posts like this. It is a car. Plain and simple. Try doing the crap we do with our snakes in any other car. Highways would be littered with tranny's.
I have had more problems with supposed high quality cars than anything else. My "touregg". Has not wanted to start numerous times. Been towed to the dealer more times than I could count. Finally I broke down and bought a block heater. Seems to have done the trick. Shift knob cracked, Leather seat tore at the seam, headlights go out for no reason.
Don't let me get started on the Audi. If it was no for my wifes job leasing this vehicle for her I would have sent it through the sales floor window a long time ago.
Now my POS Plymouth breeze. Problems ZERO. 180,000 miles and she starts as if new. Poor girl has never seen a garage. -25 one night. One turn of the key and boom she comes to life. Best car I ever had. Period. Bought new for 10k. original everything. And I am ******* the car to boot.......

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Try doing the crap we do with our snakes in any other car
Exactly. Is it perfect ? What car is. When you buy a Viper, you get speed, performance and looks. It's an expensive toy. I have been asked many questions about my Viper like: How fast will it go ? How does it feel ? How many horses ? But never been asked : How about the quality ?
How comfortable is it ? How is the service ?
When I bought my first Viper, It was risk. No test drive, Just the fact I was lucky enough to get one. When I bought my second Viper, I Knew I'm buying a motor that happen to have a body, No comfort, gets very hot, vibrates, loud, and I simply love it. Drove my 95 for 3 years, never had a problem. My 04 has about 1700 hard and I mean hard miles, with heads and S/C and so far no problems. Do I expect any ? You bet. Will I blame DODGE for it ? NO. We all have free will, and choice, if you don't like the car, don't bash it, simply buy something else.... :2tu: :usa:

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update:

Well the Dodge place took a look and said that a valve spring broke, whatever that is. And now he is waiting to hear from someone (whoever makes these big decisions) about whether or not they are going to repair the current engine or send a brand new one. Before they do anything they want to find out WHY (sounds like they think I did something wrong) this happened. He said he will have an update for me within 1-2 hours. Vipers look great and are fast, I have always loved them and always will, I just wish I was one of the lucky ones who have posted here on how they havent had any issues with theirs.

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was cylinder #9 for the broken valve spring, and they have their "PROCESS" (phone calls etc) set into motion now on figuring out whether or not they will repair or replace the engine.

VENOMUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aaron:

I just went through that process and should be getting my car back this week. There are some big do's and dont's during this process. If you want to discuss what I learned, give me a call. 410-599-8809

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cris,

I never said I was the "expert opinion". I have no idea of the quality of the pre-SRT-10s. I just know what my experience with my brand new Viper has been like, and what I've read on this forum. If anyone wants to do search problems reported by VCA members with their new Vipers, they can judge for themselves about the build quality of the Vipers.

Unlike some on this forum (Cris?), I have no finanical interests with either dodge or Toyota. I'm just relating my opinions based upon what I've experienced and read on this forum.

I really like the looks and performance of the car, and as long as it is under warranty, and doesn't leave me stranded out in the middle of nowhere, I'll probably keep it for a while.

After all is said, the fact that dodge lowered the warranty period on the Vipers from 7/70k to 3/36k seems to indicate to me their own lack of confidence on the car's reliability.

But in the end, if you are really crazy about your car, whether it breaks down or not. THEN ENJOY IT.

Just don't critisize me for truthfully relating my experiences and what I've read on this forum (especially if you are profiting either directly or indirectly by the sales of Vipers and/or dodges).

When posters say they've never had any problems with their Vipers, I always say "Good for You" and I mean it.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red, this is your quote that I was responding to. If I read you right I must be crazy/stupid or lucky. That indicates to me that you believe the preponderance of SR-10's have had major reliability issues. I only say that you are speaking from a very small fraction of owner's experience and extrapolating considerably. Or have you really spoken with all 6000 owners?

From Redsrt03: Either you must be one of the lucky ones, based upon the number of problems other SRT-10 posters have reported with their brand new Vipers, or you are a victim of the "love is blind" mentality.

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they have to replace my engine, that's going to devalue my car big time. Im not sure if rebuilding it will devalue it, but Im sure it will take a really long time to have it sent off, rebuilt and sent back. I shouldnt have to lose thousands in value because of an engine change on a car that has 344 miles on it. I am not sure if I have any options, but I really just want a completely brand new Viper.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they have to replace my engine, that's going to devalue my car big time. Im not sure if rebuilding it will devalue it, but Im sure it will take a really long time to have it sent off, rebuilt and sent back. I shouldnt have to lose thousands in value because of an engine change on a car that has 344 miles on it. I am not sure if I have any options, but I really just want a completely brand new Viper.

Driving it will devalue it. The question is, is how long will it take to fix the car? I would probably tell the dealer that you want another car, and what's it going to take to make that happen, more money? Maybe he will work with you. I would press the matter.
The cars, for the most part, are reliable cars IMO. They are, for the most part, street legal race cars. In my business, I'd rather have a problem come up as soon as possible after the sale. That way it's easier to get a unit replaced by the manufacturer. I hope it works out for you, and I'm very sorry you had a problem with your ride. Just try to keep your cool, because it usually gets a better response.

2vipers2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know but, my 97 GTS, perfect no problems ever. 03 Black SRT, no problems other than headlights going out, fixed at the dealer, no problems since. 04 White Mamba, No problems, perfect in all ways. 00 Prowler, perfect no problems ever, 97 1500 RAM, no problems ever, 157,000 miles on it now. Perhaps I am just lucky,change the oil regularly do the maintenance as scheduled and have fun.

VENOMUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aaron:

I know you tried calling me today so I will put some of what I went through here. If you want to know all the details and why I went the route that I did, you will need to call me.

Dodge is going to fight you tooth and nails not to buy back the car. I could have fought Dodge with my attorney under the Maryland lemon Law and probably forced them to buy back my car. Lots of viper owners on this forum made the same comments to me about having the car bought back after my problems. Unfortunately if you have not gone through the process, it’s easier said then done.

The Maryland Lemon Law is the following and as I understand most states are close to the same.

Applicability of the Lemon Law
The Lemon Law applies to the sale of all new cars, small trucks, and multipurpose vehicles in Maryland. It does not apply to motor homes.

The benefits of the Lemon Law are available not only if the vehicle that was purchased from a dealer was new, but also if it was transferred to another person during the vehicle's warranty period. That warranty period is 15 months after the car was originally delivered by the dealer or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Under the law, a car is considered a lemon if, during the 15-month/15,000 mile warranty period, a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use and market value of the car cannot be repaired after a reasonable number of attempts. A "reasonable number of attempts" means once, in the case of the braking or steering system, and four times in the case of other defects.

Alternatively, the "reasonable number of attempts" requirement is satisfied if the car is out of service for repair of defects for a total of 30 or more days during the warranty period.

A car is not considered a lemon, however, if the defect is the result of abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modifications of the car.

Make sure the dealer has experienced technicians to do any repairs that you need. The first two dealers that I was at never did any real repairs to a Viper and they were trained Viper techs. My car was shipped seven hours away, and Dodge paid for it, to a dealer that has serious experience repairing Vipers.

Don’t bother calling the Dodge 1-800 number and expect any results. I was warned of this and they only pissed me off to the point of going postal. The guy on the other end of the phone refused to get me in touch with a supervisor, refused to give his name, refused to do anything outside the norm, was totally condescending, and eventually hung up on me. As soon as he heard me say Viper his demeanor changed immediately. He was probably driving a busted, primer red Yugo out in the parking lot.

Ask your Dealer who the Dodge Business Center rep is for your area. Make sure you’re in touch with this person ASAP and see what he/she has to say. Maybe you will get lucky but I doubt it. Your Dodge dealer is the one who may push hard for you to get a replacement vehicle, especially if you threaten legal action on the dealer.

Even though your car probably does not meet the terms under the lemon law you should file the documents with your states Attorney General as it can’t hurt.

Dodge will not want to pull the engine and ship it Arrow racing. Arrow is backed up way beyond 30 days to turn and engine around so they will probably push to install a new engine. They don’t want to trigger the lemon Law by going over the 30 day rule. Arrow rebuilt my engine but I had to agree not to sue Dodge under the lemon law for Dodge to allow the engine to be rebuilt.

More info to discuss but that will need to be over the phone. Good Luck!!!! It’s probably not going to be pain free.

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all your info VENOMUS, I really do need to talk to you over the phone maybe tomorrow. I bought the car in Mississippi, registered it in Tennesseee where I live. I would assume the Mississippi Lemon laws would apply for me instead of the Tennesse one. Currently the car is not at the dealership I bought it at, but at a closer one (in Tennessee). The Mississippi Lemon laws states no more than 15 working days (out of service) for the first 12 months (opposed to 30 calendar days in 15 months as in Maryland). This would completely out rule the engine being sent to arrow to be rebuilt as it would be way over the limit of 15 days. In the end I can live with a brand new engine in the current car, but I definitely would prefer a brand new viper or my money back. I will find out more about what they are going to try and do tomorrow, and Im definitely going to bring up the option of getting me a brand new car. I'll post any new updates as they come. Anyone else who has any relevant info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4