Whas the best NAVI FOR GEN 3/4 NOT RB1 !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I sold my RB1, because after I got my jeep srt8 with the my gig, I found out how KICK *** new navi technology can be.

So does anyone know if there are any aftermarket, ALL options Navi units out there, that are a direct fit? or close (meaning at least double din)

no blue tooth, no touch screen, means NO rb1 for me.

Thanks!

Jon

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think Eclipse makes the best double din units around. There tuners are top notch and the nav system are remarkable. I have the AVN2454 in my work van When that unit came out about 5 years ago i paid 2000.00 new. I'm still using the same nav disk and I use the unit everyday. The newer units are sirius ready,ipod ready, tv tuner ready, etc etc. and all the aftermarket units (if hooked up correctly) can be used while you are driving. I bought a rb1 for my viper and had it for a week and hated the unit, it was better than the factory unit i had but thats not saying much. I sent it back because the tuner did not work very well at all. Check out the eclipse web site and look at the AVN series of nav units.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ulllose, thanks for the info. Very helpful. But what do you use for a bracket to hold the unit in, since its probably not a drop in fit. What kind of plate do they have to make it rounded ?

Someone else has GOT to have done something different then that damn RB1.. yuck.

Jon

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the RB1 is 1.5 Din, NOT 2.0 Din.

This is one reason why I am swapping out the non-nav OEM head unit in my '08 for RB1 vs. aftermarket. I am also adding an iPod adapter and different door speakers (the Polks everyone added). I did not want cut the carbon fiber console I installed and did not want a single din aftermarket nav unit with a dash kit. Single din would also mechanically fold out which I did not think was a good idea in the high-G load environment.

If you change the head unit you will also likely end up making other changes as it is a "powered system" (I checked this out over the last 10 days and gave up and purchased a new RB1).

Good luck with your choices, and let us know what you end up doing!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the RB1 is 1.5 Din, NOT 2.0 Din.

This is one reason why I am swapping out the non-nav OEM head unit in my '08 for RB1 vs. aftermarket. I am also adding an iPod adapter and different door speakers (the Polks everyone added). I did not want cut the carbon fiber console I installed and did not want a single din aftermarket nav unit with a dash kit. Single din would also mechanically fold out which I did not think was a good idea in the high-G load environment.

If you change the head unit you will also likely end up making other changes as it is a "powered system" (I checked this out over the last 10 days and gave up and purchased a new RB1).

Good luck with your choices, and let us know what you end up doing!

You ae right, single din looks like ****.. I've seen how crappy it looks, I WONT do it. I'd take the rb1 over that anyday. But I am not sure if its a 1.5 din or 2.0... but someone has to offer something other then this rb1 :( maybe Alpine will release something newer and better? I might give them a call today and get the details on the rb1 and see if they have a recommendation for a swap.

Jon

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry this isn't direct fit, but I absolutely love it. Its a KENWOOD KVT-719DVD. You can read all the specs here. I love how it list my iPod songs. Touch screen. Wireless remote, talks to you, can add a bunch of add ons, like bluetooth, iPod, XM, Sirus. Out of the box it Plays plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, Video CDs, JPEG images, and AAC/MP3/WMA discs. I couldn't of been happier with this purchase. Kenwood KVT-719DVD DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it is a single DIN though. I really dont mind though. I love all the options it comes with and how easy it is to add accessories. Dont have to install from direct unit, but from where you mount the External Media Control unit. I will post as soon as I get the pics. Sorry I havent seen the car in person for over 8 months now =( damn Iraq.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
viper gts----- I do not have the eclipse unit in my viper. Yes its a double din and i would have to say that the viper is bigger than a din 1/2 but smaller than a double din. The only thing i would do is just buy a new dash piece and cut it i'm sure you could make it look perfect.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper gts----- I do not have the eclipse unit in my viper. Yes its a double din and i would have to say that the viper is bigger than a din 1/2 but smaller than a double din. The only thing i would do is just buy a new dash piece and cut it i'm sure you could make it look perfect.

I'm not really understanding what your telling me here. Am I missing something?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not really understanding what your telling me here. Am I missing something?

I'm sorry i forgot you came from the short bus.........:drive:

You asked in you first post "if anyone new of a good double din nav unit?"

i answered yes...."eclipse makes a great double din, i have it in my work van......"

then i said...
I'm sure you could put a double din into the viper dash but you would have to modify it a tad, but i'm sure you could make it look perfect"

If you still are alittle confused i could reply back in bigger font...........:dunno:

:):)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. u dork... I'ts that preface of viper gts... if your telling me that you have a viper gts and not a gen 3 like I do, then your insight isnt helpful to me, but probably for gen 2 guys.

din and 1/2 is certinly what a gen 3 is, and I have now confirmed a 2 din will fit in the hole perfectly fine with no modifcation to the hole (no cutting of the cars stereo frame/hole). The only thing that needs to be corrected is the window size of the plastic console cover.

If you want, I can show you where in my signature that it says I sold my gen 2, or even show you that I posted this in the Gen 3 forum.... dont worry, I know its confusing to some.. but I can help you get past it.. ;)

OR I thought, if I had a work/mini van, and lower brain function, how would I think as a person, I then thought you might have been refering to me as 'viper gts' instead of calling me 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR or even Jon (which is actually much shorter), and then it made a little more sense I guess... Dont worry I can still help you undestand stuff that gets complicated for you :D

Last edited:

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well i'm glad you figured it out...........

I would assume a double din would fit in the dash but I know you would have to trim the face plate, thats what i meant when I said "you could probably make it look perfect"

Now to the name thing, I would think that since i was replying about the radio question and only 2 other people posted in the thread you would have figured out the "Viper GTS" meant I was replying to you. So I guess if people call you Jon instead of Jonathan or Jonnie you would have no idea that they were talking to you:dunno:

Also it is not a mini van...........but a full size van......lol:rolaugh:

Post some pics when your done with the install, Mr 2002_VIPER_GTS_ACR:2tu:

notice: I even put the underline in your name so you would know I was reply to you.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol.. just like I ride the short buss, I got the shortened name for those two names Jonathan/Jonnie. Legal name is just Jon. So thats why I was hoping that wouldnt confuse you with me signing my name as Jon, because it is Jon.. but again.. driving a full size mini van probably doesnt compete with my shortbus :)

just havin fun with ya..

I appeciate the clarity in your new message, I am now assured you're talking to me :)

I will do the photos once I get this bad boy completed.

Thanks!

Jon