What!!!...A 4,501-lb Benz quicker than a Viper???

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mercedes-Benz SL600:
Power (SAE net): 493 bhp @ 5000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 590 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm :eek:

-Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
-Zero to 100 mph: .8.6 sec
-Zero to 120 mph: .11.9 sec
-Street start, 5-60 mph: 4.5 sec
-Standing 1/4-mile: 11.9 sec @ 120 mph
-Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph
-Braking, 70-0 mph: 178 ft
-Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g
-EPA fuel economy, city driving: 13 mpg

Read more here

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ***!!!... A 4,501-lb Benz quicker than a Viper???

OK...OK... For $136,000, it's Viper quick. I'll guarantee you that it does not have the fun factor of a Viper, even though the numbers are great. It's the Viper's raw edges that makes the car a hoot to drive.

Wait for the planned SL 65 on the way. Even better #'s.

The Viper corners at over 1G. That tells the story.

PS. Watch language please.

OP
OP
M

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ***!!!... A 4,501-lb Benz quicker than a Viper???

I'll guarantee you that it does not have the fun factor of a Viper, even though the numbers are great. It's the Viper's raw edges that makes the car a hoot to drive.

Yep, I agree.

PS. Watch language please.
Opps :D sorry about that. Fixed.

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, so now we know a good luxury car to add to the collection.....a AMG powered twin turbo Benz, nice ride

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sweet acceleration numbers for a luxury car.

I bet that the Viper would be the better track car, however. Would be nice to see the two cars go head to head on a road course.

There are a lot of cars out there that are competitive with the Viper. I just haven't seen any for under $100,000.

I love it that performance is making a comeback at so many car companies. We are truly living in an amazing time. I don't think that there has ever been a time when there were so many wonderful performance cars being made by so many marques. It's a real sports car renaissance. We should be rejoicing.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like the numbers are wrong

Yeah, I suspect either that MB quietly slapped on some drag radials, or they had a really well prepped dragstrip.
Because 0-60 in 3.6 seconds on street tires is unreal for a 4500 lb car!

And as mentioned, the SL65 will have even MORE power still!

But you have got to wonder what they are thinking to have the SL600 and SL65 both quicker than the $450,000 flagship SLR!

-Dean.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe those numbers posted in that test report by Car and Driver are incorrect. I have just recently driven the SL600 and do not believe it can give that kind of performance. MB lists the 0-60 time as 4.5 sec same as the SL55 with the Supercharged AMG V8. Yes the 600 had much more torque but I just think those numbers were wrong. Other tests on this car I believe gave times somewhere in the low 4's. I do not know about quarter mile. Problem is it is hard to find test reports on the Sl600 with this engine. Does anyone know where I can find another test report on this car other than the Car and Driver test?

S

sachin

From what I have read is that the SL600 is very underrated when compared to the SL55. These numbers honestly do not suprise me at all, just gotta remember to watch out for these new benzes!

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wife just bought a 2004 SL600 a few weeks ago. It is very fast but the numbers that Car and Driver posted seem to be to good. This car is just as traction limited (once you turn of the electronic nanny) if not more so than the SRT10 Viper. It handles very good but not as razor sharp as the Viper. The brakes are every bit as good as the Viper. The only problem is that she will not let me drive it without her!

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the numbers....the SL 600 is not an AMG car...the SL 55 is the performance version and the 600 doesn't have the edge the 55 does.
I just bought a CL55 and while it is blindingly fast I have not yet confused it with my SRT. It handles great and stops almost as well as the Viper but I took it to Willow Springs last week and I felt every one of the 4100 #'s. It pushes quite a bit and you can feel the bulk. Then again...that's not why I bought the car.Going out for dinner in the CL is an unforgettable experience. The CL 65 will be even quicker but will still not be a Viper competitor....It's not meant to be.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think of the MB SL600 as a Viper with breeding.

So what you're saying is that the MBZ is kinda like Catherine Zeta Jones, swift and stylish. And the SRT is more like Courtney Love, fast and kinda trashy?

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"the SRT is more like Courtney Love, fast and kinda trashy?"

Courtney is just to nasty, how about Pam Anderson?

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, numbers are wrong. I raced an SL600 last week in my 02 GT2. The SL being automatic there wasn't much driver error possible and I slayed it from a stop and from rolling start. The 3rd time I let him take off before I did and still beat him. I might have some problems with the SL65 soon to be out with 625hp.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For reference, my 4600lb S600 has run 0-60 in 3.3 and 0-100 in 8.5, on its way to an 11.58 @ 120 1/4 mile. I have this online for those interested :) This was accomplished with drag radials and an ECU reflash. I would expect the stock SL600 will be traction limited but nearly as quick as my tweaked car, especially if they tested it with 100 octane in the tank.