What are "cats"

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have read several postings that refer to replacing the "cats". Is this referring to the catalytic converters? And why do they need replacing?
Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes catalytic converters.

only need replacing if you wanna cool your interior down, add a little power etc...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are also very heavy and are very restrictive. You can choose to eliminate them or replace them with Hi Flow Cats, which as you can tell, flow better (exhaust air flow), are much lighter and smaller. You'll also get a slight increase in exhaust volume and HP.

It's a very common modification that is not apparent from outside the car.

Last edited:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darn! I thought I had this photo posting thing figured out. I was successful posting pictures in the TEST section but this one didn't work. One thing I did different is that I uploaded this picture to the forum members gallery. What am I doing wrong?

Bob

EDIT : I figured it out.

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited by Skybob; Today at 02:38 PM. Reason: I'm not such a dunce after all
Ha ha! That was one of the best replies even if it wasn't one...

As far as cats go, Plum is absolutely correct in that many folks replace them with better flowing units, while some might eliminate them all together (for "off road" use only). For example, I believe that the SRT10 has four catalytic converters, which not only slows down the flow, but can also increase the interior heat of the car. So is replacing them required? Absolutely not. But you can potentially pick up a few horsepower and cool down the side sills on certain Vipers by doing so. Check with many of the folks that advertise on this site to find out more. :2tu:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the other perspective, changing the cats could make it hard to pass emission tests if you have a strict state. Just something to keep in mind if you ever want to change.

Robert

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have anything useful to add about cats, but I do like this video...

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang