What Are My Options For A Multi-Disc CD Changer In The Viper?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I listed a post like this a while back but just wanted to see if I could get more information. I wanted to know what I could do to install a multi-disc changer into the factory Alpine head unit. Is this possible or should I just get a new head unit? If I need a new head unit anyone have any suggestions? Pictures would be great. If I need a new head unit all I want is something simple, I am pretty old fashioned but still young. Is that possible? Kinda sounds like a oxymoron. LOL! Well any help would be great.

Thanks

Keith

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keith, i had, i guess you would call it the "mopar" 6-disc changer installed on delivery, everything works with stock components, the changer itself cost somewhere around 250 or so, i dont know if i got ripped off or not, as i have not done any research on it, but, to answer your question, you do not need any new components to add in a multi-disc changer.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Mahesh:

I was told that this would not work because there is no "outlit" behind the head unit to plug the CD changer into. Where did you get yours done? I have the same Mopar 6 disc changer that I think they said is also used in the Jeep trucks. I paid $250 as well.

Thanks in advance

Keith

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had mine installed at autoland, but i never go there anymore, i just get a bad vibe when i go there to bring in my car. I wish i knew HOW the installed it, i could probably be more help. I dont understand why this isnt working for you, especially since we have the same exact car. Perhaps they spliced it into the radio line, if there is even such a line, im just speculating.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the stock changer but there are many aftermarket ones that are as good or better than stock. Aftermarket Audio equipment usually has a lot more features than stock. The only difference is the OEM units are tested to OEM specs which means they are more durable but when was the last time your radio didn't work? CD changers can be input through your antennae jack and you just tune to a certain frequency to hear your changer. If you want higher fidelity you should upgrade to a new head unit and amp not to mention a sub.

I can give you as much detail as you want. I work in the OEM audio business. Just send me a PM.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSnake:

I am not having a problem with the radio working it is just that I can not get the Changer installed. I was told that this would not work because there is no "outlit" behind the head unit to plug the CD changer into. How would they go about fixing that problem?

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, im sure any audio person can do it, they may not want to tamper with the head unit, but running it through the radio is how you get it done with a stock head unit. If you cant get an audio shop to do it, take it to your dealer, because it definately can be done.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why they cannot install a changer into the stock head unit? There is an antennae input just like every other radio made. All they have to do is splice it in between the antennae and the radio. I'm not sure there is a connector on the stock unit for a direct connection to a changer but you would have to run a control line to the changer in addition to the antennae connection.

My suggestion is just to get an aftermarket set up. The only advantage you have with the stock Alpine unit is the speed sensitive volume control. The Viper Alpine unit is not the same fidelity as the aftermarket ones. It's been cheapened up to meet cost targets.

If you get an aftermarket unit with a CD changer control built in you're halfway home already.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
like GTSnake said, all you have to do is turn the radio on, and tune to the station that your changer is set for. then you just control everything from the changer control unit.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an appointment with Buhler in the next few weeks. You think they could do it?

I wouldn't waste your money at the dealer to install. Any good audio shop can do the job. Car audio is pretty generic as far as installation and Vipers are not much different. The only tricky thing is trying to package subwoofers since there's no room anywhere.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldnt worry about "splicing" the radio line or whatever, ive had the car for two years and never had a single problem with the cd changer. but one more thing, try to get them to mount it in a place that does not interfere with the soft top when it is in the trunk. they mounted mine over the left rear wheel well and everytime i put the top in the trunk, it has to rest on top of the changer, but [******], that is one durable changer.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok Mahesh and GTSnake. I will take the car to Buhler and have them check it out. I already took it to an aftermarket shop that I am frequent at and they told me that it could not be done with the stock unit and the CD changer I had already.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have another suggestion in lieu of a CD changer. Why don't you get a head unit that plays MP3s? One disk can hold hours of music instead of having an extra unit in your limited space of a trunk. You burn your disk at your home PC and carry around a few disks in the cockpit. I have about 4 disks in a visor organizer and it probably has over 400 songs on them.

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSnake, im starting to get into this whole mp3 deal, but instead of getting a head unit, arent there adapters for i-pods that will work with our vipers? i remember reading about it somewhere on this board.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSnake, im starting to get into this whole mp3 deal, but instead of getting a head unit, arent there adapters for i-pods that will work with our vipers? i remember reading about it somewhere on this board.

Yes, there are stand alone units that you can get to hold your MP3 files. But your head unit must have an AUX input. It's actually better than one that runs off a disk since there are no moving parts therefore no skipping. We know our Vipers don't have limousine suspensions ;) But some of the newer head units have time buffers in them where if you go over a bump there's a few seconds of delay between the time the info is sampled and played through the amp so you don't hear a skip.

However, I still prefer the built in head unit since I'd rather not have to deal with wires all over the place and remembering to bring it with me when I leave the car.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a good way to get multi-CD capability for the Viper.

Get one of the new IPOD's ( it holds 500 CD's ) and then order one
of these FM transmitters. http://griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/index.html

The IPOD fits quite nice in the pouch between the seats on a GTS and the
sound is first rate, CD quality.

When you get done driving the Viper you can just take the IPOD into the house
or carry it around or put it into another car. Don't get much better than that. :laugh:

Oh, and they make one for Windows folks now too.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea of the MP3 route!

However, my factory head unit from my 96 RT/10 has specific line outs and a control connector for a CD changer.

Anyone know what Alpine unit (I am assuming ALpine) will plug right in?

The more difficult question is, is there factory wiring from front to rear for this (I assume not)...If not, what is the
preferred routing for the wiring from head unit to trunk for the CD changer?

thanks
Tomer

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This is a great place to mount in a RT10

You must be registered for see images

The CD changer you are talking about does not splice into your antenna cable. It uses one of the fm stations on either the lower end or higher end of the radio stations. It has a little transmitter in the trunk that transmits your cds thru say 92.9fm. You tune your radio to that station & your cds play. There is usually a remote with a cable going to your trunk that controls cd changer. This system sounds good with a stock spkr., stereo setup. If you are ever going to add amps or spkrs, you will want to get a new stereo that "hard wires" into the stereo.

Hope this helps

Andy

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, any hints on how to run wires from head unit back to the trunk? I had thought that the connector from my factory head unit
would actually carry the signal from the CD player to the head unit, back thru the amps and to speakers! I guess I learned something
important!

Tomer

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to keep the cost down, but maybe I am splitting hairs?

Tomer
PS Anyone with info on best way to run wires from front to trunk? Any do's and don'ts?

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
{snip] The only advantage you have with the stock Alpine unit is the speed sensitive volume control. The Viper Alpine unit is not the same fidelity as the aftermarket ones. It's been cheapened up to meet cost targets.
[snip]

If you change to a different head unit, which one do you change to and do you still get the speed sensitive volume feature? I think this is a really nice feature to lose if it does not work with the new head unit.