What are Paxton Vipers running in the 1/4?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just curious as to what you guys with the basic kit with cat backs or stock and a Paxton are running. Also the guys that are highly modded with the Paxton turned way up. Any supercharged Vipers running 9s? What mile an hour are you running? 125 to 130 plus?

Thanks

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try the search function. There's many hp numbers and different times for Paxtons.

Their output is usually between 550-900rwhp. Since a Paxton is a centrifugal supercharger it makes boost according to the rpms and pulley sizes. Paxton is similar to a smaller TT setup and a lot cheaper. Hp is dictated by a lot more factors than just the sc.

The Roe sc is a Positive Displacement sc and makes the engine work like it's 1000cubic inches because the boost comes immediately after idle. My Roe went 10.5@139mph on stock street tires. That would be the times expected from a 8-900rwhp Paxton or TT.

The advantage/disadvantage, depending on how you look at it is that the Paxton and TT's drive completely normal until you rev them up, then they go crazy.

When running 10# of boost a small 100hp Nitrous kit has a tendency to build 159rwhp because of the cooling advantage adding to the extra hp injected.

Ted

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good info never thought the roe would pull harder than a paxton system

It dosent...

Take a bone stock 400 rwhp gen2 pulling 116-118 trapps. add a 6 pound roe and dyno 540-560 rwhp. Take her back to the same drag strip and run a 128-130 trapp....

Take a bone stock 440 rwhp SRT10 to the strip and pull a 118-120 trap. Add a 6 pound paxton and dyno 600-620 rwhp. Take her back to the same strip and run a 128-130 mph trapp....

Simply put. The ROE makes a lot more grunt in the lower rpm's than the paxton. The paxton makes more power in the higher rpm's..

BUT..a 1/4 mile is a short distance, and the Gen2ROE gets to use a lot more of it's strengths in the 1/4 mile than the paxtoned SRT10..So even with a 50 PLUS rwhp advantage for the paxton. They both still trapp around 130 mph in the 1/4 mile..

But what if this was a 1 mile event? or spirited blast between two friends going from 70-150 PLUS mph?

Then the extra 50 plus rwhp of the paxton over the ROE would show it's face through 4th and 5th gear...

As well the Roe seems pretty limited to 10 psi with methanol injection and 600ish rwhp...With the paxton 600 rwhp is just the beginning and there are 900 rwhp paxtoned Vipers out there...

Some 750 PLUS rwhp ROE/****/NOS gen2's out they're but that not really an apples to apples comparison....

Theyre are people trapping 140's with just a paxton and supporting bolt ons....Then theyre are guys who trapp high 120's with just the paxton on they're run flats at less than great stripps. Just depends on how you look at it. But average seems to be high 120's to low 130's..

About the same as the ROE

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in BC there are a few Paxtons, 6 I know. Only Roe I know of is mine. There are a few 505-595rwhp Paxtons and maybe one of two 650-680rwhp Paxtons. My ROE is 720rwhp.

The Roe is a race style supercharger and the Paxton is a Turbo type supercharger. With a Roe I won't let anyone else drive my car. With new PS2's it's a handful to drive under 70mph as there is a serious traction problem. I've been building and driving 9-11 sec. cars all my life. My 10# Roe may only be a high 9 sec car (without Nitrous) but I can't imagine driving a street car with any more power than mine has. With the bottom end of my engine I can race a new Z06 in 4th gear from 50mph and it's a tie. Starting in second it's like he forgot to step on the gas.

I agree that 'in some instances' the Paxton could keep up with the Roe, because it has a lot less traction problem, not because it's faster. With the Roe and street tires you have to feather the throttle and soft shift to go fast, otherwise you'll do a big smokeshow.

The Paxton wins on the dyno, but try to drive it down the highway in high gear at 1200rpm like I do with my Roe. The Paxton is easier to drive as it makes about stock torque and hp until after 3,000rpm.

My stock 98 GTS (air filters and cat back) made 598rwhp and 644rwtq - the torque peaked at 2,000rpm and stayed nearly flat past 5,000rpm. The Roe was a 8# pulley with water/**** on a completely stock engine. It unfortunately had runcraps and would light up the tires at any speed up to 90mph in 4th gear. If you've got runcraps I would recommend the Paxton. Although it was "only" a 600hp car I had a FEW experiences that scared the sh-t out of me and will never run those tires again! I only drove that car for 2 months before I wrote it off. Ever gone completely sideways (90 degrees) when you short shifted into 3rd before 90mph?

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car went 10.5@139mph on stock tires without the water/**** I have now. The car came with a 100hp Nitrous kit that hasn't had the bottle installed yet. The 100hp kits make about 150rwhp on a 10# boost application.

I bought my car for highway driving (9,000mi. in 2.5 months), but if I do hook-up the Nitrous and instal a roll bar, I may take my car to the nearest drag strip - it's only 450mi away. I've got a set of BFG drag radials that still have some rubber left on them.

Yah, racing the Z06 wasn't any contest, even giving him 2 lengths and only racing from 50-100mph.

My wife hates it, but I love that I can light up the tires at any time. I'm trying to get used to half throttle for racing.

Ted

Ted

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It dosent...

Take a bone stock 400 rwhp gen2 pulling 116-118 trapps. add a 6 pound roe and dyno 540-560 rwhp. Take her back to the same drag strip and run a 128-130 trapp....

As well the Roe seems pretty limited to 10 psi with methanol injection and 600ish rwhp...With the paxton 600 rwhp is just the beginning and there are 900 rwhp paxtoned Vipers out there...

Some 750 PLUS rwhp ROE/****/NOS gen2's out they're but that not really an apples to apples comparison....
My Roe car makes 635/671 with an 8# pulley, w/m and stock fuel pump. Are the 540 rwhp 6# Roes that you mentioned not dyno tuned? Seems like they should make alot more than that. :dunno:

And a Roe with 10#, water **** and a better fuel pump will make alot more than 600 rwhp IMO.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn..If all you have is the ROE and bolt ons then Im impressed..My friend barely made 600 rwhp with 10 psi and he has full bolt ons...

Guess it just depends on the set up. I know that a "cream puff" with 6 psi is lucky to make 550 rwhp...

But they're are so many variances..

Some people with paxtoned SRT'***** 610 rwhp...Some get close to 700 rwhp...

Just all about the set up I suppose...But REDSNAKE..I absolutely love your color combo. Your pics are the ones that inspired me to do black stripes on my red SRT10

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could be his engine. My 98 was all stock (air filter and catback) and dyno'd 598rwhp with only 8# and water/****. I would have expected 660minimium with a 10# pulley.

Perhaps he is leaking boost pressure? Instal a guage and check. Perhaps he needs a better tune?

A 6# cream puff making about 550rwhp sounds correct. From 420rwhp to 550 is a 130hp increase. But, with a different pulley, water/**** and a smart card the hp can jump another 100hp easy.

Ted

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn..If all you have is the ROE and bolt ons then Im impressed..My friend barely made 600 rwhp with 10 psi and he has full bolt ons...

Guess it just depends on the set up. I know that a "cream puff" with 6 psi is lucky to make 550 rwhp...

But they're are so many variances..

Some people with paxtoned SRT'***** 610 rwhp...Some get close to 700 rwhp...

Just all about the set up I suppose...But REDSNAKE..I absolutely love your color combo. Your pics are the ones that inspired me to do black stripes on my red SRT10
Thanks!!!The stripes look even better in person. :headbang:

My engine is stock as far as I know. I know it still has the stock rockers. With the 8# pulley it made 625 rwhp before the w/m with tuning from Joe Donovan. Other mods are 70mm TBs, Belangers and Corsa catback.

Joe said that my car only picked up another 10 rwhp (635) with the water **** because the OEM fuel pump is maxed out. I would think that a 10# car with rockers and a better fuel pump should make over 650 rwhp.:dunno:

As mentioned, maybe your friend had some belt slip? Could be in his tune? Or maybe his fuel pump is maxed at 600 rwhp?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!!!The stripes look even better in person. :headbang:

My engine is stock as far as I know. I know it still has the stock rockers. With the 8# pulley it made 625 rwhp before the w/m with tuning from Joe Donovan. Other mods are 70mm TBs, Belangers and Corsa catback.

Joe said that my car only picked up another 10 rwhp (635) with the water **** because the OEM fuel pump is maxed out. I would think that a 10# car with rockers and a better fuel pump should make over 650 rwhp.:dunno:

As mentioned, maybe your friend had some belt slip? Could be in his tune? Or maybe his fuel pump is maxed at 600 rwhp?

I wouldnt worry too much about him..His car went 9.9 at 140 mph with Roe/****/Nos..

He dosent care much for dyno numbers

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop..If he reads this then his head will get a lil bigger..I as well as family and other friends fear that there may one day be a cranial explosion

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run 10.40 on 19 Pirellis and high 9's on drag(Kumho) radials. Kenric I believe I have the same package that Doug built for you. I drive the car several times a week and currently have over 26,000 miles on this bulletproof DLM set-up.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So is a mid 10 second possible with stock paxton but full headers and exhaust?

If you can drive good, then yes, it can be done on street tires too. Otherwise you might need a set of drag radials like others have used.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the alley I read that an 850+ TT on drag radials went a whooping 10.5@ 140mph, compared to my 10.5@139mph Roe (with only 720rwhp) on stock tires.

So a "stock Paxton" (making between 540 and 600rwhp?) can go 10.4 on street tires? Wow!

Dynos show peak power, not "average hp". They show hp produced in milliseconds, not power required to go through the quarter mile. Roes and Paxtons are not equal. Since the Paxton's and Turbo's only make significant hp at high rpms they obviously need to make MORE power to be equal to a Roe which makes power all the way throughout the rpm range.

Ted

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted Maybe your car makes more power under the curve. It is not about peak power it is about power under the curve. i would love to race you in my GT or my turbo:headbang::eater:

Snorman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the alley I read that an 850+ TT on drag radials went a whooping 10.5@ 140mph, compared to my 10.5@139mph Roe (with only 720rwhp) on stock tires.
And I believe that was at a 2100' track on lower boost than what the car dyno'd.
That's Alternative's car you're referring to.
There will be a few 900+ rwhp Paxton Vipers running at Atco in April, we'll see how they compare to your Roe car.
S.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I believe that was at a 2100' track on lower boost than what the car dyno'd.
That's Alternative's car you're referring to.
There will be a few 900+ rwhp Paxton Vipers running at Atco in April, we'll see how they compare to your Roe car.
S.

Most likely, he is referring to my car. And, you're correct, about 2100' elevation, and DA around 3500'. Also, it was on 10-11 psi which makes about 750 rwhp.

RTTTTed - tell everyone if you were behind the wheel of that 10.5 at 139mph pass? If I remember correctly, you sent me a PM on the alley and said it was the previous owner's accomplishment. If that was the case, have you duplicated that time? Or, you just like to brag what "your" car can do, or did?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, it's all about what's been proved, right? What my car did, not what it can do? It's not slower than it used to be, it's faster.

I have this "make it perfect" urge. I've got the Roe fascia and 14" front brakes in my garage. I'll be ordering a top end gasket kit and porting the heads this winter. After the previous owner's run the car got water/**** inj. and a vac crank sump (extra hp) so if I wanted to put out the money and effort to get booted off the track, just to get a number, I'd go the 550mi. to Mission Raceway and race (50' below sea level). Once I've ported the heads I may take the car to a dyno (550mi. away), if I can't get the tune correct with my laptop and Sean's help.

So, yah, it's not about how much faster my car is now - or even how much faster it'll be next summer. It's not about installing my Nitrous bottle and seeing how fast the car will go with an extra 150rwhp(or change the jets to 200rwhp) it's about what's already been done, and proven.

I feel that it's obvious that my car should go 9's with just the addittion of DR. Low 9's with Nitrous. But that's a much higher level than the 10.5 we're speaking about -

I also bought this car for me. Bench racing is fine - that's what we're doing. I'm trying to point out that for me and a few others, a 1200rwhp TT is useless for highway driving. I'm trying to point out that when driving down the highway you may not want to have to drop 2 gears to pass. I'm also trying to point out that if a newbie goes out and buys a $8,000 Paxton - it won't make 900hp or go 10.5 at the track. I'm saying that a Roe sc is for driving #1 and racing can be done with much lower numbers than the huge numbers needed for a Paxton and TT to go fast.

Most of the big numbers I saw had better drivers than the owners running the cars so I don't see the relevance of if it was me or the previous owner that was driving the car. As I said, the car is much faster now than it was before, and it'll keep getting faster.

As far as my drag racing experience, I've placed in 3 National events. I've run dow the quarter thousands of times. I've raced at half a dozen tracks, and used to live close to race tracks. I've built a couple dozen race cars and an old one that I built now goes in the 6's at Mission Raceway. What have you accomplished again?

You must be registered for see images

Oh yah, this car is still all glass and steel.

Ted

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RTTTTed - I don't need to prove anything to you or to anyone. If you're really happy with your Roe set up, why go around and try to prove or justify something? To make it worse, you're doing it from your warm bench, instead of your own personal experience.

You might as well tell the newbies that a $7000 Roe set up won't make 900 rwhp either. So, to compare it to a Paxton or TT set up, it comes down to personal preference and budget.

Don't get me wrong, Roe is a great set up, as I have considered it many times. But, it has limitations lower than a Paxton or TT set up. I'm sure you know that, as many have "proven" it. Best of luck "perfecting" your set up. Let us know how it feels (in case you don't dyno it), or what it does at the track (even if you will not be the one driving it). Basically, your preferred way of bragging, "shoulda, coulda, woulda"...

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RTTTTed, Your running 6's in the 1/4 in that short wheel base Arrow? What is it maybe 80". Dear god, how do you keep it on the track? Besides the wheelbase, how do you keep traction when there is 6" of air under the car at 200MPH? Must be a heck of ride!!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock ROE is 540-600 rwhp on a gen 2

stock paxton is 610-650 on a gen 3

The roe gen2 at 600 rwhp will run dead even with the 650 rwhp gen 3 paxton through the 1/4 mile...

The 650 rwhp gen3 paxton will walk away from the 600 rwhp gen2 roe in a 70-150 plus mph roll race...

Any more questions?????

jeeze ..their both supercharged Vipers that are both gonna trapp 130 mph PLUS with just the basic kits at a sea level track....

My personal opinion is that it seems like evryone has a Roe gen2 ( can ya blame them)...But Ive never seen a paxtoned SRT10..So atleaste to me the paxton just seems a lil higher up on the food chain..Kinda in between a Roe and TT if you will

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte