What are the best ideas for the initial mods?

Rossssi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper soon come, what would you advise as a really good list of the first(best) enhancements?

also, what does an 02 gts run stock in the 1/4?

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best starting mods IMO-
exhaust - find a sound you like, listen to other Vipers aftermarket exhaust systems. See if you want everything from headers, cats, etc, or just cat-back.

shifter - I think stock is too tall (at least for me). I love the look and feel of the MGW gripper. MGW also has some nice interior mods like knobs and center console storage covers (with snake emblem).

K&N air filters and smooth tubes (if you went with the tubes, you have to get the drop in filters)

Check out MGW's website: www.mgwltd.com
and also Snake-Oyl's: www.snakeoylproducts.com/
Both have great products for starting out.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc, I asked the same ? about a year ago and here is what I was told.

I have done the tubes/filters, Roe oval cats, muffler delete, MGW shift knob and license plate, magnecor wires, aluminum pedals, 18' drag radials.

Mopar roller rockers ordered today if all goes well.

ps - doesn't matter how fast you go if you don't look good doing it. First things first. Quit reading this and go outside and polish her. :cool:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&Ns and smooth tube are a must-have, first mod.

And if you are getting a cat-back exhaust (I have a Corsa), you should also install high fow cats (I have Sean Roe ovals).

And as strange as it may sound at first: Driving school. Because the Viper will perform better if the driver performs better. It is a car that rewards skill more than most.

-Dean.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My views on my top 5 are pretty reflective on what I put here for the basics.

If I had a Viper (still dreaming):
1. Smooth tubes/ K&N filters
2. Snake-Oyl or Corsa cat-back exhaust
3. MGW shift knob with short shift kit
4. either "Porsche for breakfast, Ferraris for lunch" or
"I'd rather be...oh wait I am" lic plate frame
5. minor cosmetic mods- painted hood pad, painted
letters on hood and rear, clear side markers, painted
cowl, interior knobs (Snake-Oyl), stripes if it's
not on there.

That's my top 5, but I'd also like to get wheels and tires, supercharger, possible paint job depending on the color of the Viper I land on, and maybe brakes (rotors and pads) depending on if I'd track it.

Reaction score
Why do you want to modify the car? What is the Application(Type of racing or bragging rights)?

Very First mod is an Operational Software upgrade for the go-steer-turn management control. Suggest Skip Barber. (2 day upgrade discounted 25% to VCA members)

Drivers new to massive torque can get into trouble in turns. Common issues application(excessive or abrupt) of power that exceeds tire grip with the road. Result quick over-steer. Going fast in turns can get a little scary and lifting will transfer weight to the front wheels and reduce weight on the rear wheels. Result quick over-steer.
Brake in a straight(all wheels pointed in the same direction) line and add power in a straight line.

And K&N filters

1.0 Drag Racing?
1.1 Half Shaft
1.2 Scatter shield
1.3 Blower or Funny gas
1.4 Headers
1.5 Port-Polish heads, T&D RR's
1.6 Cam grind change to meet application

2.0 Road Racing, open track-Viper Days? (Advanced Operational Software Upgrade by Skip Barber)
1.1 Change Brake fluid to Motul
1.2 Add Porsche deflectors
1.3 StopTech Big brake kit, 4 corners, racing pads
1.4 Halon Fire system, Engine/Driver/Passenger ports
1.5 Roll Bar
1.6 Suspension work, Shocks, Mono-ball, lower 1"
1.7 Headers
1.8 Port-Polish heads, T&D RR's
1.9 Cam grind change to meet application
1.9.1 Half Shaft up grade

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice above. I would also add to start small (tubes filters, exhaust) before going with the other major modifications.

Do a search of the vendors before ordering, some are better than others. Recommendations -> Roe Racing, BTR Performance, Parts Rack, these are just some I've ordered from there are many other good venders as well.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
driving school
driving school
driving school
driving school
driving school
By the way did I mention driving school?

Lets get some facts in order, 3400 lbs car, 450hp, 190+- mph top speed, low 12's quater mile. Sounds like a Busch Grand national stock car, no?
Unfortunately, performance driving is like sex, Everyone is an expert and thinks they cannot possibly learn anything new. How many guys on this board spank the highly modded cars @ the strip & road courses with stock cars? A lot. Why, because they spent the $$ on the mod that has the most return on investment..YOU! And make sure the school is using full bodied fast cars like skip barber,panoz, that Justin guy who used to have vipers... Enjoy.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I stick by the ones I posted in the above thread:

General Use/Lower Expense:
1. Tubes & Filters (funny how those 2 become 1 on the list)
2. Exhaust & Hi-Flow cats (hmm, a trend of 2 for 1...)
3. Locking gas cap
4. EBC Green brake pads
5. Floormats

Clearly 4&5 are relevant for street use.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nitrous. best bang for the buck mod. just so happens i have my kit for sale. will blow away any other mod. i did the intake- rockers-headers-exhaust, those mods did nothing for performance but took alot out of my wallet. once i did the nitrous the car was untouchable by almost anything on the road or track(street car).

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tough question as everyone is slightly different in tastes and the application of their viper (what itll be used for)

for someone like me; daily driver, car shows, and with any kind of racing as pasttime

complete exhaust upgrade
tubes/filters
eiboch lowering or comparable item
gear swap to 3:55
custom stereo upgrade

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first mod was the adding the pretty lady in the passenger seat!!! :) j/k

Dyno it first.

I did smooth tubes and filters and then cat-back exhaust.
Of course, driving school.
Then go nuts as you please.