What can be done about wheel hop?Got my first case of it tonight at the track-01 GTS

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the track tonight and got my first wheel hop in my 2001 GTS.

It felt violent , but I got lucky and nothing broke.

What modifications can be done to prevent this?

I'm pretty new to IRS rearends. Ive fixed this in a solid axle before but things are a lot different.

Is there a such thing as "c-beam plates" for our cars? I use them on my c4 corvette, and it helps limit the car breaking out to the right as easily when traction is lost.

Thanks! ---

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What can be done about wheel hop?Got my first case of it tonight at the track-01

Wheel hop is not good, my first outing at the track resulted in snapping a UJ which then damaged the Diff output coupling and a hafshaft so had to replace that too!

I now have Unitrax Half shafts.

If you plan on tracking the car it would be wise to go through the whole drive line, I now have fitted, Woodhouse Engine and transmission mounts, Ipsco Billet transmission crossmember mount, new spicer UJs and straps throughout the whole drive line. All of this will help, but getting the engine revs and clutch bite right also plays a big part. As you know Drag surfaces are very sticky, so you don't have to give a Viper a lot of gas to get it moving.

Wheel Hopping breaks things fast, so be careful. ;)

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What can be done about wheel hop?Got my first case of it tonight at the track-01

Thanks Fatboy.

I was told on another forum about the Woodhouse Engine/Tranny mounts too.

Then I was told maybe new tires and shocks too?

I appreciate the heads up on the other beefy parts you recommended :) ---

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It could be as simple as bad shocks. Anything sloppy in the driveline and suspension could be the cause, IMHO. In my case, I was seeing it accelerating out of sharp right turns during an HPDE track day. I found that the shocks needed to be rebuilt.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think I may still have the stock shocks actually ... they are the blue Koni (?) and I have Eibach lowering springs which may have helped to wear them out.

It feels great during regular driving.

The car has 23k miles , but 13 years age now! ---

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You need to get under the car and check everything. You could have a broken trans mount, bad motor mounts, bad tires, shocks..... Make certain the rear end mounts are all tight and to spec. As an FYI, my u joints were shot at 15k miles and rear end fluid is usually toast at 10K miles. Always use new u joint straps after you loosen them.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Two simple steps will greatly reduce your wheel hop. Get poly engine and trans mounts, and re-torque every bolt holding your diff and diff mounts to the frame. Mine were all loose and allowed the diff to wiggle around and cause the wheel hop.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine had wheel hop it went away when I put Woodhouse engine and trans mounts in. When I removed the stock mounts one of my motor mounts was busted, so I am not sure it that was the cause or the result of the wheel hope.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Make sure the 1/2 shafts compress in and out. The rear diff carrier assembly rubber also deterioriates over time and creates a loose assembly.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can the transmission and engine mounts be seen easily if the car is on a lift to inspect for cracks?

Ever since I owned the car, I noticed that when in a higher gear keeping the rpm low (under 1500) ... if I lightly press the gas after having my foot totally off the gas , there is a mechanical sound like the clutch is reconnecting or the throw out bearing is making noise for a quick second.

Is that typical of our cars, or is that probably a clue that something is loose/cracked? I had a 96 z28 Camaro that didn't do this (t56), and my 90' ZR-1 doesn't do this (zf).

Thanks everyone! ---

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That noise you are hearing is very likely to be your differential mounts moving under changing loading conditions. Do a search for "JackB". Think he had a thread about changing them out. You could also try Snakeoyl website. I think they offer replacement rubber.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you may be onto something NI-KA ... I am running 3.73 gears , so it may make the situation even more obvious now that I think of it ... if you suggest it is something with differential mounts.

I guess its time to get the car on a lift and start inspecting , thank you all for the leads on where to focus my attention :) ---

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score

alwayscode390- By going to a bigger wheel/tire combo I eliminated wheel hope.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I forgot to mention I am on 20"s all around with 345's on the rear.

Thanks for the idea though Heath :).

I wish I could share my friends vid he took of my run ... you can hear the hopping and screeching LOL ---

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah, I am on 19"s with 345s on the rear for daily driving. At the track, I am on 345/40/17 tires, which are 28" tires. Either way, no wheel hop.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20" wheels with 3.73 gears...
That sounds like an AWESOME drag setup!

Try 800lb springs in the rear and she'll really get off the line :p

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I am not a ******** drag racer or anything LOL. I just go once a year to try and get a personal best and have a little fun.

Im not even competitive. I go with full weight and run it like I am at a stoplight ... I don't even do burnouts. That's just the way I like it though.

I think the guy who owned it before me used to autocross it actually. ---

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried to look up the snake oyl site but it says no longer available. Am I going to the wrong site?

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cant get snakeoylproducts.com to load up , but I noticed when I clicked it ... this came up " http://www.viperpartsusa.com/ " in the address.

That link actually works ... says its a DIVISION of SnakeOyl products ---

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like $730 worth of mounts (tranny, engine, and differential) ---

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten