What car scares the crap out of you?

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The two scariest cars I have ever been in was a Morris Minor sedan on the Waldo Grade north of the Golden Gate Bridge. This was the predecessor to the Mini's which I had several "S" versions of which were some of the most fun and least scarey vehicles. I finally got out of my last Mini when there was more rust than metal left and the last plastic sunroof handle for it on the planet cracked and I could no longer close the sunroof.

The second scariest car was a 60's Fiat 500 that I never got running and was scarey to just sit in at a standstill. Unlike the Mini Cooper, the Fiat felt like being in a goldfish bowl. Let's hope the new version of these Fiats, that will be sharing the show-rooms with our Vipers will be infinitely better than their ancestors.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was/is my GTS. It was my first high HP car. It was already supercharged with 8 pounds of boost when I bought it. Getting behind the wheel and opening it up the first few times (in the November cold) was a little scary. :omg:

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Jeep CJ5, 304 bored 60 over, 40" Ground Hawgs. Stock suspension could barely handle the cartoon tires. Shook like it had epilepsy over 40 MPH, and I regularly took it up to 70 on the highway. Could smoke all 4 tires from a standstill. Roll cage was bolted to the fiberglass body. Looked cool, but would have snapped off in a second during a rollover.

Surprised I didn't kill myself in that thing. However, I got more boob flashes in that beast than any other vehicle I've ever driven, including the Viper, which is my second scariest vehicle to drive.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Shaky chassis, too much horsepower, and horrific sight lines"? You are kidding, right, Mr. Hardigree? No? OK, let's take this point-by-point, shall we? First, You're confusing "shaky" with rigid (as in rigid enough for you to feel everything the car is trying to tell you). You want it to flex more, and tell you less? Get a Vette; they do that. You want to feel "shaky" in a chassis? Try an original AC Cobra; should you survive THAT, you will find it gives new meaning to the term. Second, "too much horsepower" is a relative term. You HAVE been to a proper racing school, haven't you? If not, why do you consider yourself qualified to review what is essentially a racing car in street trim? Let me guess; by "too much horsepower", what you really mean is " I stabbed the gas, and got the rear loose in a straight line", right? Well, the answer to that problem is located between the seat and the steering wheel, i.e., it's not the car, it's YOU! Third, what "horrific sight lines"? Try a Lambo (any of several models), Lotus Exige, or Ford GT. Even better, try the new Camaro; after you have completed this exercise, you can discuss more intelligently what you can or cannot see out of the cockpit of a Viper.

Last but not least, while I am no doubt considerably older (and presumably less agile) than you, I have been driving Vipers for five years, and I have yet to burn my leg (or any other body part) on the side sills of a Viper. Yes, I know they are hot; but it is not that difficult to avoid contact with them in getting in or out of the car; then again, I haven't had the experience of having to hurry my exit so that what I just left in my drawers did not leak through to the seat!:D

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I started my driving in the early 60's. I was blessed to be able to have the cars of the 60's and 70's with 348,409,427,454 and some 383's - 455's thrown in. I went through a lot of tires,transmissions, short blocks and even pressure plates. Back then none had all the nanny controls just limited slip differentials which required the ability of your senses and reactions to keep the cars going where they were supposed to go.

Now at an advanced age I added a gen 3 Viper I know what to expect but I have much more wisdom to manage the beast. I control it not the other way around.

In spite of my early stupid years, I have logged 1.7 million miles without an accident. That includes 17 years driving a squad car.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say my ACR but it doesn't actually scare me, I just have a lot of more respect for it over my ZR1 which has all the traction control stuff on board.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used to own a chevy chevette. scared the **** out of me. the thing was so small and flimsy, i always felt like a guy on a speeding mountain bike crashing into me could kill me.

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my 05 scares the crap out of me only when I am going 140, but on the other hand I would more scared in any thing other than a Viper going that fast. Even with all that I am still looking for more power. I guess I haven't scared enough yet.

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am scared that I might have to drive a smart car on the interstate rather than the golf club paths it was designed for. GTS Bruce

Actually the Smart may not be that bad. A couple of years ago I saw one on the I-10 in SoCal around Riverside in the middle to fast lane and it was keeping up with traffic quite nicley. It had Mexican plates (from Jalisco maybe).

I briefly toyed with the idea of getting one for the streets of frisco when I read that it is so short that you can park it pulling head in to the curb; it's shorter than the Mini's I used to have.

I changed my mind after reading that they are subsceptible to winds due to being so high. Since my commute takes me around the three bridges here in the Bay Area, I thought better of it--they are also too geeky for my tastes. So, I bought a Lotus Elise SC to commute in instead.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those "Smart", Twofor cars are a joke. Apparently, in Europe they're not allowed on the highways? Followed one down the highway here in Canada last year. Watched him go from inside to outside of lane everytime a Semi went by. I was scared that after he got sucked into a head-on collision after a Semi went by my GTS was gonna get sprayed with schrapnel from the teeny POS getting slammed into debris.

Very scary. I couodn't care less what safety rating they get from the Gov. you'll never **** me into riding in one of those things. Golf carts is actually a fair comparison. Here's Joe Christianson's GTS parked between 2 of the little diseases ...

You must be registered for see images

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960