What do I get for $850????

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know about the VOI9 website and I read everthing in it, but I still don't understand why this costs so much?
Can anyone give me any more detailed info on what happens at VOI?
I have never been.
Why does the event costs sooo much? $1700 for wife and I? Wife doesn't even like cars! ;)
How much actual track time is there? or class room instruction?
What EXACTLY are we going to be doing at the track?
How many actual track hours will we get?

I am trying to decide whether I should go to VOI or Viperdays at Reno.

I am more of a trackday kinda guy. So I am leaning towards Viperdays. But if someone can tell me why VOI is so much fun, I may choose VOI.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will let others chime in for the heavy lifting here but I will start it out by telling you that ALL meals are provided. And the food is great, sit down formal banquet each night, even at the track food is provided. AND it's OPEN bar every night. So just to start, how much would food and booze cost for two for a week in Vegas?

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention Jay Leno was our entertainment at the last Vegas event....
But it is all about the people who you meet as well....there is nothing like attending a VOI. You may think the price is steep but with having the track for 3 days, all of the banquet rooms for 3 days, meals, entertainment, and the goodie bags, it is well worth the money. If you have never been to one you owe it to yourself!!

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to several VOI's (including the last one in Vegas) and a couple of Viper Days.

If you are a track guy, hands-down, Viper Days is the place to go.

Lot's of good stuff at VOI, but you'll be disappointed at the track time on the "scheduled" day (Tuesday or Wednesday). 6, maybe 9 luke-warm laps, 12 tops - likely in groups of 3 or 4. A couple of passes at the drag strip and a couple of runs through the Autocross. They're not trying to be cheap, just trying to make sure everyone gets a shot at it. That's tough with ~300-400 cars per day with - FOR THE MOST PART - novice drivers. "Get away day", Thursday will undoubtedly be better, but still not the quality track time you'll get at Viper Days.

You might get some useful guidance from the Skip Barber ride-along guys (on Tue/Wed, there will be somebody riding along... probably not on Thursday), but nothing like the classroom sessions at Viper Days.

I've enjoyed both and felt either were pretty good fun for the cost. Just depends how you like to spend your money.

Just one opinion.

Reaction score
Sadly, if you have limited funds, it is a hard sell (as stated in another thread, it takes $$$$$), but not impossible.

If it were within a days drive, you shouldn't miss it no matter what. But factor in all the $$$ you need for lodging, "other" food, goodies, GAS....and you're climbing fast.

If you are not within a days drive....say the VOI is in Las Vegas and you live in, say, Vermont, your kid will have to put off college for a year IF you want to enjoy the trip. You can save money by not taking your Viper (might as well go on your honeymoon without your new bride). You can have the car transported....I am not sure if someone has weighed the cost of shipping against the cost of gas/driving (but one would also have to figure into that drive all the extra time off from work). There is a way to economize....of that I am sure, but you have to trade off things you might not want to.

I live in Va. I try to go as far as Tator's (8.5 hours) and closer....though lately I have choosen to spend time with my wife instead, but that will change when we live together again.

Edit: The post in the other thread was by Fred Kinder:

These events are NOT for those with empty pockets!

'nuff said.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1700 for me and the Father in Law

$1,000 for gambling.

$800 for the hotel.

$275 for gas.

$500 for the strippers.

Wife paying for everthing and not going.

PRICELESS

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You'll have to tell us how your arranged that Newport?

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's track time you want come to Viper Days, you can't get more track time and classroom time for the money anywhere. That being said this will be my second VOI and I will not miss it. I will be driving from Viper Days at Halett to Vegas and leaving the rig there for a week before returning on Wednesday before VOI to make sales calls then do VOI then off to Reno for Viper Days, but I have been told my many that I am out of my F***ing mind so who cares. Come to Viper Days and have a ball learning how to drive faster and safer than they could ever teach at VOI.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a freakin' blast. **** it up and attend!

I'm leaving the car at home this time. Usually too hungover to enjoy the track stuff much anyway. I prefer track fixes at Viper Days and similar venues. VOI, though, is a great party. It'll be my 4th one.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a special bonus in past years, Dodge provided several new Vipers that they allowed those who attended without their own cars, to drive on the track.

Anyplace else the ability to drive a factory Viper at speed at a Nascar oval and road course for two days would run well over $850.

You get the rest of the VOI for FREE!

As a extra bonus, this year Dodge will be providing the lineup of SRT vehicles, along with a track, instructors, fuel, insurance etc for members spouses/GF.
They will be able to drive the fleet of SRT's and learn what performance driving is all about, while you are on the big track. This thoughtfull bonus will keep them entertained and learning while you gun around the Oval, and dive into the infield track.

Yes, it an expensive event, but those who have attended it in the past tend to look forward to the next ones.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You'll have to tell us how your arranged that Newport?

I'm good. 15 years of sales.... ;)

GOOD? Dude - you're my hero! Although I did do a pretty good sell job myself to be able to attend my very 1st one this year! Not only had to sell the wife, but also had to sell the boss as it is the last week of the quarter p and we have an unwritten rule in place about no vactions that week!

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD? Dude - you're my hero! Although I did do a pretty good sell job myself to be able to attend my very 1st one this year! Not only had to sell the wife, but also had to sell the boss as it is the last week of the quarter p and we have an unwritten rule in place about no vactions that week!

[/QUOTE]
Your "pink slip" will be waiting for you when you get back :nana:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Your "pink slip" will be waiting for you when you get back :nana:

[/QUOTE]

Yea, I wouldn't say a word about before, after or EVER AGAIN at work.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $850, I'd want smoked BBQ brisket, potato salad, red beans and someone from the local club to show me around.

If you've never been to a VOI - it is DEFINITELY worth the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21