What do you guys want to see in 08?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would I want to see in 08?

I want the 08 Viper to shock the automotive world in styling and performance in the same manner the original Viper showcar did back in 89. It's a tall order, but that what I want.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruise Control
Trunk a little bigger
Make sport bars functional (make it steel welded to chassis)
Improve ride to be a little less jiggly without giving up suspension control
Stickier tires
Cut a hundred pounds
Improve interior insulation to reduce noise and engine heat
Make 5th and 6th gears a little less tall
Find a way to make oversteer management a little more forgiving without computer overmanagement
Can the brake and clutch pedals stay shiny?
Improve overall fit (body panel fit)and add another door detent
Improve quality of stereo sound
Power - improve overall drivability (just like what Cragin's computer reflash does) and yet add some more horsepower. Personally I think the car has plenty with 500 but I think the Viper persona is to dominate anything coming out of a bona fide factory.
Gas mileage - if you can after satisfying all of the above add a few mpg.
Price point - maintain the current pricing structure. If a few thousand more is needed to accomplish all this, so be it (a 90K Dodge?!-only because it's a Viper). DC has plenty of good hot rods for much less to satisfy that market (Firepower, Challengers, other SRTs).

This isn't a diehard's list but I think these would help sell more Vipers. There's too many diehards on this website who want to go back to the Gen I/II persona which I think would cause Viper sales to go down even more in reality. I, for one, would not buy one. I admired the heck out of them but wouldn't pull out the wallet. I'm happy with my Gen III; my main ***** is the lack of cruise control and second, the engine heat to interior.

I forgot to mention reliability - it's been excellent so far so don't do anything to hurt the car's reliability- it's why I fired the Vette.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Cruise Control
Trunk a little bigger
Stickier tires
Cut a hundred pounds
Find a way to make oversteer management a little more forgiving without computer overmanagement
Power - improve overall drivability (just like what Cragin's computer reflash does) and yet add some more horsepower. Personally I think the car has plenty with 500 but I think the Viper persona is to dominate anything coming out of a bona fide factory.
Price point - maintain the current pricing structure. If a few thousand more is needed to accomplish all this, so be it (a 90K Dodge?!-only because it's a Viper). DC has plenty of good hot rods for much less to satisfy that market (Firepower, Challengers, other SRTs).

This isn't a diehard's list but I think these would help sell more Vipers. There's too many diehards on this website who want to go back to the Gen I/II persona which I think would cause Viper sales to go down even more in reality. I, for one, would not buy one. I admired the heck out of them but wouldn't pull out the wallet. I'm happy with my Gen III; my main ***** is the lack of cruise control and second, the engine heat to interior.

I forgot to mention reliability - it's been excellent so far so don't do anything to hurt the car's reliability- it's why I fired the Vette.

Finally a guy that knows what a Viper is all about. :rolleyes:

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
-I definitely would not want C. Control..
-I like the cupholder, it is my "cellphone holder"
-I prefer rear exhaust. That way it can be loud and not make me deaf.
-REAL LEATHER... please!!!
-of course, more H.P....
-DOHC? Smaller egine? (I am getting killed for saying this!!) would make it so much lighter!
-Better stereo and sound insulation

my $0.02

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[

I'll second that, and how bout a 72 degree V, instead of the lumpy-bumpy-V8-carry-over tooling 90 degree V that it has now? Variable intake and variable valve timing could help them get smog certified and still give us 700hp.

How about some forged pistons, so we can add boost later without so much fear of detonation?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vic, I wonder if a 72 degree V would pose a hood clearence issue? The 90 degree V now bareley clears the windshield in my RT/10 and they have to have seperate wiper motors already to accomodate the big V10. Variable valve timing would mean more unneccesary complexity. If you want better smog characteristics, then develope the cats and exhaust system. Improved tech in exhaust is why side pipes returned on the Gen III.

As for the forged pistons, Amen to that.

I will add that there should never be throttle by wire. Cruise control, NO.

I do not think that a supercharger is a good idea. Leave it to the very capable aftermarket since factory superchargers are the first thing upgraded by a tuner on everything in the past anyway. 600-650 NA hp from a Viper V10 is much more impressive than the same from a supercharged V8. Also will be more reliable and durable without supercharger.

DC has got the message about less weight with the carbon fibre concept vehicle so I am not worried there.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vic, I wonder if a 72 degree V would pose a hood clearence issue? The 90 degree V now bareley clears the windshield in my RT/10 and they have to have seperate wiper motors already to accomodate the big V10.
Hey, now thats a thought, it would stand the engine up more, which ain't good. To lower its c.g., you'd need a dry sump, and thats more money.

Variable valve timing would mean more unneccesary complexity.
Yep, its more complex, and thats not a Viper hallmark. Theres' something to be said for a big, simple pushrod engine, with a single cam down in the V. Durability. And compactness, because OHC engines get really big on the top end.

What about a variable intake, a 'la the old ZR1, (mechanically complex, using dual runners, one big, one smaller, and separate butterflys for each, depending on throttle position) and the current 4.6L Mustang motor? (Ford's is very simple and cheap) This helps spread the torque over a wider rpm range, and with modern high temp plastics, it doesn't have to be expensive. The gains on a 8.3 liter engine might be worth it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More power.
More cubic inches.
Hemi would be cool.
Lose the cupholder.
Lose the ABS.
Lose any other tech-nanny aids.
More radical styling.
Say "NO" to cruise control.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's wrong with cruise control? It comes in real handy when taking long trips (2hrs+) down the freeway and it adds to comfort being able to move around a little. It doesn't weigh anything.

Heated seats? Quite a useless option to me - just sit in the seat for a couple of minutes and it's heated! On the other hand, cooled seats would be useful.

I do know what Vipers are about but more to the point I know what I want or would like to see. Nothing wrong with getting as much as you can for your money. I don't think any of what I mentioned above takes away from the Viper driving experience and definitely would enhance the ownership experience. I feel the new Z06 Vettes are commanding a premium above the MSRP (although I wouldn't pay it) because they deliver something to the effect that "I can have it all" for the consumer. Killer performance and refinement. Refinement sells although in some markets (such as this one) it can be taken too far.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's wrong with cruise control?

Cruise control is not "Viper." If you want it, by all means buy it on the aftermarket and have it installed. I wouldn't blame you if you did.

MPG? You're kidding right?
Shiney pedals? You're kidding again right?
Stereo sound? Now I know you're joking.

If I am incorrect about your sense of humor and you really did mean all those things then please BUY A VETTE. But don't change my Viper.

The "Viper persona" is not just to dominate, but to do in an image that screams pure performance, no b-s, no frills, no nanny aids. Corvette has those bells n' whistles covered, buy one and enjoy.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruise Control
Trunk a little bigger
Stickier tires
Cut a hundred pounds

Please Dodge, don't listen to this guy, a bigger trunk, cruise control, and better mileage!?

600+, a little lighter, who cares about anything else?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have been reading, a higher RPM limit without sacrificing low end grunt. this would certainly help in the war with the Z06. I am sure that would require major internal changes...

IWishIHadaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys want everything to remain the same (no traction controls, no upgraded stereo, no upgraded interior...blah blah blah). Yet you don't want to be second to the Vette. I'm not sure that you can have it both ways. If you want to jump out in front again you're going to have to be open to changes. Chevy was and look what happened.

O.K......I've got my shield up...fire away....

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, the price can't go up much. With that in mind, you must quickly realize that there cannot be much weight savings. Instead we can only expect minimal incremental benefits in that area.

Increased power is the main focus, with a larger engine as necessary. Restoring styling by returning to more **** curves, rather than angles and edges, would be a secondary focus.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Vanity Mirrors!!!

j/k :)

-What's wrong with ABS?? I drive on torrential downpours in Miami, it is very much welcome!!
-I'd hate to see cruise control, and I bet you my left nut that the viper will never have it.
-Trunk is big enough as it is, thank you very much.
-I'd sacrifice a little torque for more H.P. and RPM.
-Definitely DRY SUMP oiling.

Guys, we are MOVING ON... we can't stay in Gen I 1993 forever...

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hemi would be cool.

Having only half an engine would not be cool ;)

(Paraphrasing on people saying "OS/2 is half an operating system". Hemi means half).

On the other hand, it might be fun. Then I can say I drive a car with half an engine and use half an operating system for my daily tasks... :D

Peter

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemi would be cool.

Having only half an engine would not be cool ;)

(Paraphrasing on people saying "OS/2 is half an operating system". Hemi means half).

On the other hand, it might be fun. Then I can say I drive a car with half an engine and use half an operating system for my daily tasks... :D

Peter

You're still using os/2? :bonker:

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
#1 Lighter. Comp Coupe or less weight.

#2 Optional Roll bar, harness, race seats, Forgeline wheels and fire bottle. Semi-Comp Coupe or VD Option package.

#3 Dry sump, lowered engine

#4 Did I mention lighter?

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It would seem to me that DC could utilize the 1-4 shift lockout solenoid creativly to reduce the probability of an accidental 3-2 instead of 3-4 upshift, same as 4-3 downshift not accidentally becoming 4-1. The system could use vehicle speed (used by the ABS) and preclude the 1-2 shift gate whenever vehicle speed would dictate.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood to open the other way....Its too easy to work on with it opening straight up...i need a challenge for those keep hood on jobs.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

#2 Optional Roll bar, harness, race seats, Forgeline wheels and fire bottle. Semi-Comp Coupe or VD Option package.

Excellent suggestions Carl.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys want everything to remain the same (no traction controls, no upgraded stereo, no upgraded interior...blah blah blah). Yet you don't want to be second to the Vette. I'm not sure that you can have it both ways. If you want to jump out in front again you're going to have to be open to changes. Chevy was and look what happened.

O.K......I've got my shield up...fire away....

We are open to changes. More power, less weight, dry sump, lower motor, less gadgets, more pure performance. You think nanny aids are needed to kick a Vette's butt? Ha! I've yet to see the new Z06 lapping any Vipers, but I did see one sitting quietly in the grass on turn 6 at Sebring a few months ago.

Don't buy the hype folks. The Viper is still king. Scotty and Cindi are whoopin' up in T1.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. LIGHTER! (it would be great if it could weigh less than the new Z06)

2. Better all around handling (suspension, tires, etc). It would be nice to be able to balance the car at the limit without sweating bullets.

3. The Viper is bare bones, no frills, and unpractical race car for the road. NO TRACTION CONTROL, NO CRUISE CONTROL, NO HEATED SEATS, etc. Don't take away the Vipers niche, heritage, and what makes the viper great.

4. More HP

5. Make sure the exhaust doesn't burn the occupants.

6. Dry sump

OP
OP
F

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Excellent suggestions Carl.

Some of the best suggestions.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Lets get Viper back to its roots, which is the 60s Cobra.

Make it a roadster, no door handles, leaky top, no sound deadening, and to give it that manly appeal, remove most of the seat cushioning. Make it as unlike a Vette as possible, so there's no confusion between the two.

It will be more masculine, more real this way. None of this ***** quiet riding, rainworthy, cool feet stuff for me, no sirree, gimme heat in the footwells, gimme road noise, and gimme bump steer, 'cause thats fun, like riding a bull, which as Hemmingway says, is one of the only real sports. :)

[/satire]

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would seem to me that DC could utilize the 1-4 shift lockout solenoid creativly to reduce the probability of an accidental 3-2 instead of 3-4 upshift, same as 4-3 downshift not accidentally becoming 4-1. The system could use vehicle speed (used by the ABS) and preclude the 1-2 shift gate whenever vehicle speed would dictate.
I agree 100%. After a near disaster in my 03, I never trusted the linkage again. Maybe it was just poorly adjusted-- I had nothing to compare it with. The 06 seems better, but a lockout would be great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187