What does 94 engine temp sensor do??

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes I think that if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck............I've spent all week trying to remove the original temperature lamp sensor that activates the ENGINE light in the dash. It is the single wire one that screws into the front of the cylinder head just below the valve cover at the front of the motor. As recommended, I originally tried to remove a bolt/plug in the cylinder head on the opposite of the motor so I could install a new sensor there and just leave the old one in place (everyone told me they break when you try to remove them). Well, the bolt/plug has apparently welded itself into the cylinder head since all I was able to do was round the points off it with my sockets. I soaked it with BD Blaster, tried a little heat- it will not budge. So I then tried to remove the original sensor and it broke off even with the cylinder head surface before I even put much pressure to it. I've again tried BD Blaster, heat and an easy out- it too won't budge. All the easy-out does is cut into the inside wall of what is still stuck in the cylinder head. I'm afraid if I try any more, I'll cut through the wall of the sensor and into the threads of the cylinder head hole. Since the end of the sensor is sealed, I don't think it will leak if I just left it as is. Question is: would not having this particular sensor hooked up effect anything other than maybe having the ENGINE light on all the time?? It is a warning light for high coolant temp and/or low oil pressure but in addition to this light, there is also a temp gauge and an oil pressure gauge in the dash. Suggestions??? Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave