What does the battery temp. sensor do?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly how the temp. sensor controls the battery charging? Does it shutdown the charging when it's too high? At what temp. does it do it? I can't find anything in the shop manual about it.
TIA
Bruce

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is a very dumb question. but when you find out the answer can you let me know? joke
:cool:

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Base on the Temperature of the Battery and along with data from a monitered voltage line the PCM with vary the alternators charging rate. High voltage can cause the battery to over heat if the battery gets too hot the pcm will reduce the charging rate.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike got it right. The BTS is also used for some on board diagnosis. Certain fault codes and monitors are also enabled or disabled depending on BTS input. This does not apply to the Gen1 cars. The alternator on Gen1 has an internal regulator.dj

OP
OP
B

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, now does anyone know what temp. this happens at? I ask this because I was running at Willow Springs this weekend and it was hot, not just the battery but everything got hot. My battery had a hard time starting the car by the end of the day (it's a one year old Diehard). The battery could be going south on me but I was wondering if the temp. sensor reduced the charge current thus causing my problem. The alternator seems okay, it keeps the battery at around 13.8 volts when the car is running.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would test the battery/alternator...but, NO MATTER what you find, you MIGHT want to consider changing the battery to a brand that won't leak with track use (such as Optima). I am quite happy using Die Hard Gold's in non track situations for our vipers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala