What exactly are "Sidewinder" wheels?

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have researched the forum and found lots of threads that have "Sidewinder wheels" in them. I have them on my 2009 ACR. I know they are lightweight and look great. But I want to know more about them.

I know a Sidewinder is a venomous pitviper species (see, I told you I have done my research). I also know that the Dodge Sidewinder was a concept car unveiled in 1997 at the SEMA convention. Now our SoCal group has now started using the term to designate ACR owners, so now I am a Sidewinder (but not poisonous).

How did these wheels get this name? Was it a creative person at CAAP or Dodge? Did we start using this term only because the sticker listed them as such? What is the inside story?

Thanks, just curious.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they first showed up on the Copperhead SRT's and were used here and there from that point on. Obviously you know that they're the same wheels that are on your ACR. I think they just used the name as it had a coalation with snakes and sounded good.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question, John...as we also have them on our VOIX. LOVE that they are lightweight and yes, look great with the silver/black of the car...and they look awesome on ANY ACR for sure. That would be great to get the 'inside story', thanks for asking the question! (And, funny your SoCal group calls you ACR owners 'Sidewinders' :))
~juli

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The wheel debuted as a "Copperhead" wheel, as a Special / Limited Edition. The manufacturer wanted lots more $$ to make a smaller batch of wheels, so MoPar added the wheel as an accessory. In order to protect the "Copperhead' name and exclusivity a bit, and also use the Snake-ology they all love, SIDEWINDER was born.

[Sliding sideways to move forward thru sand is NOT an analogy that I like for an ACR. But it does remind me of Bob Woodhouse's first trip to Pahrumph NV. We called Bob a "sidewinder" after he launched off track, airborne, and planted in the sand. He was attempting to slither the car sideways, trying to get back on course. All to no avail. We had to tow him out. Skip had 'WoodChuck Awards' back then...... we suggested adding a new one: Farthest Aerial Region Travelled award......just for Bob. Photos and full story in VIPER MAGAZINE of the era. ]

Last edited: