What exhaust should I buy?

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking to add an exhaust system to my 2004 Mamba. My question is I would like a somewhat louder, meaner sounding car, one that will definately turn heads at a stop light from the sound, but I don't want it so loud I get pulled over driving around town at 2000 RPM's or lower. If I'm reving it a bit more, I don't mind it being loader, but for the most part, it is ran in town at a fairly low RPM. Do I need to go to high flow cats along with new mufflers, or should I leave the stock cats? What pipes sound the best? Mopar, Borla, Corsa or Belanger?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would go with the corsa. also from my experience, i installed the Random tech hiflo cats and since there is no flex pipe my pass cat where the hinge is located cracked and put a hole in my cat. besides rt cats juts add 4hp apparently which youre not going to feel.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa is nice. Belanger will be a deeper rumble. The aluminized steel gives it that low tone. The stainless steel of the Corsa is slightly higher pitched.

viperflex

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm installing the Mopar Race Exhaust later today. The system looks very well built and the tips are polished. I'll let you know how the install goes and the most important thing - How it sounds!!!

The corsa system seems to be messing up the paint around the openings on some cars, as some recent post have said.....

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing the Mopar Race Exhaust later today. The system looks very well built and the tips are polished. I'll let you know how the install goes and the most important thing - How it sounds!!!
The corsa system seems to be messing up the paint around the openings on some cars, as some recent post have said.....

We have the Corsa Track Cat-Back Exhaust (flow-thru cats), and you HAVE HAVE HAVE to have the tips 'tacked' PROPERLY and then there is NO problem with the tips being near the paint/opening. We LOVE the sound of the Corsa exhaust (B&B stepped headers as well)...sounds GREAT! BUT, to each their own, everyone prefers different exhaust systems. ~juli~

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would leave it stock for now and wait until the 08 show up and see what is available then.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance just put the Corsa cat back system on my Gen III last week. It sounds much better than stock, not too loud, but a nice deeper tone. I didn't change out the cats because I was told in a couple of years I would have problems passing smog here in Cali.

My first Gen I was unbelievably loud... It was fun for a while, setting off car alarms everywhere I went. After driving it to Palm Springs, I couldn't hear out of my left ear for several hours :omg: This time around I wanted a nice sound, without loosing my hearing :rolaugh: I think I got it with the Corsa system...

Try meeting up with your local VCA chapter, you can hear a lot of different systems, you'll know the right one for you when you hear it...

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had installed the RT Cats 3" and the Corsa..... Way to loud.... I took the Cats off and went back to stock I like it now. Major loss of torque with the cats and Corsa had problems even spinning the wheels... (weird) but I think the factory pretty much has it down when they designed the car with the proper backflow to provide the torque. The Corsa need to be installed with room for expansion allow as much as you can at least 3/4" when cold. make sure you tack it to the cats also to keep it from rolling downward. I just went on a 500 mile run with no problems....

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 3" B&B system for sale. It sounds aggressive and clean.

I also have a 3" Corsa Track System for sale. It barks louder than the B&B, sounds ********** when you're at WOT. Some say it sounds like a UPS truck when coasting down.

The Random Techs are prone to cracking at the forward mounting bracket area...some people leave the forward mount out all together. I feel there is more than a 4 hp gain by going to a 3" high flow cat.

At a minimun, I would definatly remove the seconday cat.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had installed the RT Cats 3" and the Corsa..... Way to loud.... I took the Cats off and went back to stock I like it now. Major loss of torque with the cats and Corsa had problems even spinning the wheels... (weird) but I think the factory pretty much has it down when they designed the car with the proper backflow to provide the torque. ....

Thats funny, :rolleyes: I have NO cats and corsa. I dyno'd ALOT more torque and the tires spin 1st thru 2nd if I want them too. The factories never have a perfect system. They have noise restrictions and smog restrictions, therfore you have power restrictions. There is always room for improvement with the aftermarket stuff.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Random Techs are prone to cracking at the forward mounting bracket area...some people leave the forward mount out all together. quote]

The Random Techs are prone to cracking at the forward mounting bracket area...some people leave the forward mount out all together.

I had the same problem with both left and right side brackets ripping out of the RT Cat's Pipes. We found that the problem was being caused by the engine moving on it's mounts to much under hard acceleration. We welded up the holes left behind where the mounts ripped out of the cats and installed the competition motor mounts and transmission mount which limits the amount of engine and transmission movement and also left off the front cat mounts. No problems in 5,000 miles with the cats. The viper shifts more positively now with these mounts and this setup has also eliminated all wheel hop. These is a little more vibration from the engine that is felt below 1500 RPM's that might bother some people but we look at the viper as a race car and not a GT car like the Corvette.

Robbie