What is the best method for lowering a Gen-III?

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at your Vipers, I like the lowered stance many of you have achieved.:2tu: Now I’m interested in lowering my “2006” ½ to ¾ of an inch with out impacting handling, vehicle damage or safety. The spring and Cap’s lowering method is discussed as successful and an economical option. :headbang: However, if you had a few extra $$$$’s lying around what would be an alternative option to springs and Caps? I realize by saying “alternative option” I have queried all of you for a subjective or bias response to my question! But I have to be honest, you all know your stuff and your responses will be delivered from real world knowledge!!!
I don’t track the car and lowering for better racing results is not my intent. Again, I just like the look many of you have achieved. So please help me spend my $$$$’s right the 1st time. I’m looking forward to hearing your replies…. Thx

Reaction score
The coil over kit that Vipair sells is probably right up your alley then if the look is what you desire. The Moton route is more expensive and if you don't want the ride and track ability it may not be worth the time or money for you.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coil over kit that Vipair sells is probably right up your alley then if the look is what you desire. The Moton route is more expensive and if you don't want the ride and track ability it may not be worth the time or money for you.

'What he said....^^^^^^^^^^^

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do a search this topic has be beaten to death. Eibachs alone are probably your best choice. Around $330 for the whole set. There are others as Mark said.

:usa:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you do a search this topic has be beaten to death. Eibachs alone are probably your best choice. Around $330 for the whole set. :usa:

hundreds of tested, tried and true:

.7" spring caps $149, very little labor, instant cosmetics.

Eibachs can be added to caps..... Under $350, but lots more labor....

KWs fully adjust, LESS labor than eibachs!! Well Under $3100

MoTons + 3 sets of springs + intense labor install and +$1400 cost vs KW

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful and test (or have tested) the car after lowering.
Whatever route you'll go.

We had a guy from Switzerland in his VCA edition SRT-10 (lowered!) this July during the drivers training.
He lost control everytime he had to brake hard (100 mph) and steer around an obstacle.

Other VIPERS had no problem with this ...the setup has to be tested!!!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Motons period. Ride quality, adjustability and looks.

OP
OP
A

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx everyone for your input. Spending the $$$’s wisely the 1st time is really what I’m trying to do. Paramount to me is safety and stability after the modification is complete. I don’t want to “loop” the car when breaking aggressively. I know many of you “Enthusiasts”, (OCD Types, including myself) agonize over second rate products when you could have purchased more prudent items the 1st time. Thank you again...

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
You say ".7" spring caps $149, very little labor, instant cosmetics." This sounds perfect. Can you expand on the "very little labor" bit? Is this a Saturday morning driveway job with no special tools, what's involved?
Regards
Tony

Reaction score
Anytime you change the ride height you "should" recheck the alignment. The toe could be affected in a negative way. Camber may not cause much trouble but I would still get it checked before real driving.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
You say ".7" spring caps $149, very little labor, instant cosmetics." This sounds perfect. Can you expand on the "very little labor" bit? Is this a Saturday morning driveway job with no special tools, what's involved?
Regards
Tony

You will need a spring compressor to swap the caps out. This is still easier when removing the entire shock, since it is a PITA to get a compressor in the spring while it is still on the car.

I use a hydraulic compressor like this one: Sealey Hydraulic Coil Spring Compressor - VS7011

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go with Motons. You will have more flexibility in adjusting height. You may be able to see the lowered look on my pic.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to the "How To" section on the main VCA page. There is a section on "Eibachs: A How To" which explains the process. Whether you go with caps, the coil overs, or both I still think this is the easiest way to go about lowering. Pretty cost effective and I haven't heard or read a negative story yet about them.

:usa:

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the same apply to Gen 3? Do you really need to remove the coil overs just to replace the caps only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32