What is the fastest You have driven?

Reaction score
Good post! What happens if you hit the brakes too hard while at the extremely high speeds while the front end is light? I'm asking a serious safety question that I do not know the answer to. I think the answer might be important to those like myself that aren't experienced extreme drivers.

Thanks...

If the brakes are applied to quickly with the front end still light the wheel with the least weight will get into the ABS sooner and the car will change directions quickly. If you are not accustom to this the urge to react and counter steer could possibly start something you cannot control. This is also greatly dependent on the surface also, if there is significant crowning the car will tram line very bad as all cars will in this situation.

I am not complaining at all about the Viper, I love it and it is SUPER capable no doubt. It is just that these speeds are not to be taken for granted. Just because it will doesn't mean you can... or should.

I care about all of you and just hope you all stay safe. We read all the time about wrecked vipers and others that die doing this, just remember the saying "it's not if but when".

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just shifted from 4th into 5th gear and looked at the speedometer which read 150 and I shut her down.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the brakes are applied to quickly with the front end still light the wheel with the least weight will get into the ABS sooner and the car will change directions quickly. If you are not accustom to this the urge to react and counter steer could possibly start something you cannot control. This is also greatly dependent on the surface also, if there is significant crowning the car will tram line very bad as all cars will in this situation.

I am not complaining at all about the Viper, I love it and it is SUPER capable no doubt. It is just that these speeds are not to be taken for granted. Just because it will doesn't mean you can... or should.

I care about all of you and just hope you all stay safe. We read all the time about wrecked vipers and others that die doing this, just remember the saying "it's not if but when".
Thanks, I appreciate thatand it is important that we be safe. My opinion is that the Viper was meant and built to be driven hard and fast. Some "sports cars" like the SL 550, or the Audi S6, can go fast, but are not really built for that purpose. The Viper is. There is an inherent danger in driving fast in all situations, comes with the territory. The Viper is not comfortable plodding around town at 45 mph, the car can barely stand that as its torquey power band will constantly remind you. But the Viper is at home when she is accelerating hard and blazing at triple digit speeds:drive:. Snakes, especially poisonous ones like Vipers are inherently dangerous.....

But isnt danger also part of the thrill?:D

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aero pcs of ACR are tuned to work together and adding downforce to the front end with a splitter and the dive planes without anything to the rear is probably not a good idea, unless you want the rear end to get very light. You also may want to look into the Aero package for the non-ACR cars.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, they must be engineered as a package. and using just the front stuff WILL make the rear end loose

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt say anything about a public road. And life is a risk in general. If you drive a Viper...trust me...you are definitely taking a risk. Many guys in here have driven the Poconos track, a high speed road course, and there are some very fast tracks out west...post your speeds and describe your experiences!

What private road do you own? Were you in your home state of CT? Be careful at those speeds, expecially when its cold. We don't want to be reading your O-bit.

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 150 doesn't seem like much now!! 150 in the Gallardo on a closed course.

Probably 125ish in the Viper

Viper GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well i did it once or 3 times and that's it !!Never to do again !

It was in my 1997 GTS :headbang:

I was going 185 MPH in 5th gear and i think that's the car's limit with the miled modes on it,

It was so so so scary i thought the car will take off and fly or some thing :D

I bet the undertaker was siting beside me :D

It was very very not stable at all !

This is a video me passing by you can hear the car's sound from a mile away

YouTube - Dodge Viper GTS pass by full throttle "part 2"

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know why....but I had the balls to drive my car all out tonight as the road would allow...I saw the speedometer get to 180 mph

Hmmmm. A private road in Ct long enough to reach 180. :rolleyes: Love to visit you sometime to test my ride. You must be very wealthy. Otherwise, I hope you don't drive like that anytime my family is on the road...my wife and 5 yr old can care less how fast your car likes to be driven.:nono:

Be safe. Don't kill anyone.

~Craig

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know why....but I had the balls to drive my car all out tonight as the road would allow...I saw the speedometer get to 180 mph

Hmmmm. A private road in Ct long enough to reach 180. :rolleyes: Love to visit you sometime to test my ride. You must be very wealthy. Otherwise, I hope you don't drive like that anytime my family is on the road...my wife and 5 yr old can care less how fast your car likes to be driven.:nono:

Be safe. Don't kill anyone.

~Craig

I don't think that you read his whole post because he said nothing about driving on a public road.....

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that you read his whole post because he said nothing about driving on a public road.....

With respect, I fully read the post....and considering in another post he admitted to 140mph on a public road, I call bs on the "private road" and I don't know any tracks that are open at night.

Sorry, but as we've said in thread after thread...save it for the track. I look at enough dead people investigating car crashes for a living. End of rant. Sorry.

~Craig

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No closed courses open at night hunh? hmmmm...you need to do a little more research. I know for a fact that the Poconos has road races at night. And I guess you have always obeyed the speed limits in your Viper? More people are killed in car crashes at 75 mph and below than high speeds...but anyway, I am not going to get into a debate like that. That is not what this post is about...it is about the high speed handling capabilities of the Viper and others experiences to share knowledge at high speeds.

Excellent point on the ACR package...that it was not meant to be added partially, but as a complete system. That rules it out for me then, the rear wing (ahem, air brake) that robs almost 30 mph from the top end is a deal killer for me. But I simply dont get it...my Viper was very stable and stayed glued to the ground at these high speeds. Is it b/c I have PS 2's? She was not light in the rear at all...I wonder does keeping the car totally stock externally come into play here. I know when Motor Trend tested the Benz SLR in a top speed shoot out the testers also complained that the car was unstable and unable to hit the advertised top speed.
They attributed this to aftermarket wheels and tires....what say you guys?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i guess your saying that you rented the Poconos Track for one of your late nite driving events? What are the dates of the Poconos night races? I'd like to come up for some practice. How long did it take for you to bring your tire temps up? What were the conditions during your spirited driving? I would like to duplicate so i can feel the rush of high speed viper driving... In a safe environment of course.....

D

DAMN YANKEE

206 mph .... during the last leg of the New York/Ct "Burma Death Race" trip...That was the day we had to pay the ransom on Tator and get the heck out of town...We are going back in June for Rob...

chute.jpg

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i guess your saying that you rented the Poconos Track for one of your late nite driving events? What are the dates of the Poconos night races? I'd like to come up for some practice. How long did it take for you to bring your tire temps up? What were the conditions during your spirited driving? I would like to duplicate so i can feel the rush of high speed viper driving... In a safe environment of course.....

Forget it Frank, we're talking to a stone wall. In another thread he wrote, "...and I only do spirited driving in straight-aways...black ice and all."

...and no black mamba, I've never driven my car at almost three times the national speed limit. My bad. :rolleyes:

Look, you seem like a good enough guy. We'd just like to keep you around for a while. Just be safe and don't kill my family.:2tu:

~Craig

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just thinking of the few safer roads around here where you can take it up to speed and wondering where folks from the NY/CT region are "rolling the dice."

For me, it was I-91 north between 14 and 15. Late at night, maybe 4ish on my way back from my girlfriend's. I was already doing 155 (used to drive like a speed demon in those days... quite often... less so lately) and decided as I crested a hill that the long downhill in front of me was a nice assist and that the three lanes of movement and the long stretch heading off to Meriden would make a great chance to slow down and have a lot of space to move. Not to mention the road moves left.... and at top speed it is a bit more pronounced.

I'd done run-ups to the 170s on prior occasions, but held it down and moved the needle into redline. I did the math afterwards and discovered that I had literally run out of gear or close. With the gearing, stock rear, and tire height the Corvette at 6000 rpm came out to 188mph. I was slipping just past it towards the 6100 factory programmed fuel or spark cut-off (never played with the PCM) and that was as fast as I wanted to push it. I probably was close to the turn, too, so I didn't want to find out what destabilizing effect might happen to the car if the PCM decided to play with the fuel/spark.

So anyway..... where in this and the surrounding areas might potentially make other good locations to make a run presuming: no traffic, no houses or intersections on the side, long wide stretches and a lack of nearby judicial branch enforcement units.

Last edited:

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was simply amazed at how hard the Viper continues to accelerate from 140 thru 180...she pulls like a freakin Ninja! And it happens quickly. These things are built for this kind of stuff...the faster she goes, the more she sticks, the lower she squats.

I cannot imagine what kind of acceleration the Paxton and TT guys are seeing. Those guys GOTTA have titanium balls to withstand that kind of acceleration and power.

I have to agree 100%!

The real amazing things with these cars happen once you get OVER 100mph. It is insane how hard the car pulls from 100-150mph and still keeps on going.

I recently took the car on the ultimate road trip - TX->CA and we made record time. I can't count the number of times we'd be doing 100mph and I'd downshift and just floor it and in a matter of second it would be at 150+

In fact many times there was open road and then we'd come up upon a pocket of cars and we'd have to slow down, and after a a while I said something like "How annoying, all these people going so slow and getting in our way"

My friend turned to me and said "Well, they're going like 100mph".

Then it occured to me how ridiculous the Viper is, and how going 120-130 is like 60-70 in any other car.

To answer the thread, about 170mph is the max I've had it at thus far. Felt totally fine.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget it Frank, we're talking to a stone wall. In another thread he wrote, "...and I only do spirited driving in straight-aways...black ice and all."

...and no black mamba, I've never driven my car at almost three times the national speed limit. My bad. :rolleyes:

Look, you seem like a good enough guy. We'd just like to keep you around for a while. Just be safe and don't kill my family.:2tu:

~Craig
I appreciate that guys...I will admit I am no angel. Now, I actually had a cop tell me that if I ever wanted to stretch her out to take it out onto CT 40. HE TOLD ME that that is where they tell their friends to go that have sports cars. He said they never monitor that stretch of highway and it has very little traffic on it.

I wont insult anyones intelligence and say that I rented a track the other night...but once in a while I do get the urge to punch it. And only during conditions as close as one can get to the Autobahn as possible...meaning very late at night and only when there is no other traffic. Vipers can get up to 180-190 very quickly, doesnt take much time or much room...in a mile or mile and a half, you are there. So if there is 3-5 miles of open highway and say its around 2 am.....:eater:I might just see redline in 4th and 5th!

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
205.2 mph in the standing mile. Six runs in 2 days, ranging from 186mph to 205.2mph. FYI, the speedo on my Viper is far from accurate...as I had the speedo above 220mph a couple of times. :omg::headbang:

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
192 according to the heads up display in my C5. 170ish in my viper. 150mph feels smooth as silk, above that it feels a little "floaty" imo.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
210 MPH in a school zone in reverse with the top down.
I would call u an assh*le, but I have two offices in Ft. Lauderdale area and my wife and I will be buying a house down there soon. I will probably buy it from you...and we will probably be cruising together...so you get a pass on this one!:headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude