What is the history of warranty claims due to hard use?

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious as to the normal treatment or standard for which DC treats the Viper for warranty claims from breakage that could be related to hard use of the car.

Such as, Broken engines, rear ends, transmissions, brake rotors etc. I know some will say Vipers don't break :D . Seriously though what seams to be the norm?

Thanks,

Dan

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am curious as to the normal treatment or standard for which DC treats the Viper for warranty claims from breakage that could be related to hard use of the car.

Such as, Broken engines, rear ends, transmissions, brake rotors etc. I know some will say Vipers don't break :D . Seriously though what seams to be the norm?

Thanks,

Dan

They replaced a cooling fan unit and gave me a new trans with no

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks,

Dan

Sorry... accidentally hit send before i finished the post. They replaced my fan unit and trans with no questions asked. The fan broke at Pocono. Not sure how. The trans had made strage noises ever since i got it, but it got worse after a couple track days. So far, very pleased with warrantee claims.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please don't flame me for what I am about to say but a few years ago DC was taking note of the people who were racing their vipers and then sending them notices saying their warranty was voided. I have 3 friends with vipers who are local that this happened to and I saw the letters. As far as I am concerned this is a scapegoat to not pay warranty claims as DC knows we are going to race their vipers. It seems that this practice has quited down somewhat but if I was you and had a problem after racing your viper I would flatbed the car to your dealer and tell them it broke down on the road as now the burden of proof is on DC to proove you were racing the car. below is a ling having to do with aftermarket racing parts and their use in raing. take note of the picture from the DC warranty book.

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat...uf6bdaac7l75s53

OP
OP
O

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please don't flame me for what I am about to say but a few years ago DC was taking note of the people who were racing their vipers and then sending them notices saying their warranty was voided. I have 3 friends with vipers who are local that this happened to and I saw the letters. As far as I am concerned this is a scapegoat to not pay warranty claims as DC knows we are going to race their vipers. It seems that this practice has quited down somewhat but if I was you and had a problem after racing your viper I would flatbed the car to your dealer and tell them it broke down on the road as now the burden of proof is on DC to proove you were racing the car. below is a ling having to do with aftermarket racing parts and their use in raing. take note of the picture from the DC warranty book.

Thanks,
So basically a lot will depend on your dealers attitude. Pretty much is the same with Chevy. :(

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,
So basically a lot will depend on your dealers attitude. Pretty much is the same with Chevy. :(

Not what I was wanting to hear either. :curse:

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard of insurance carriers dropping your insurance or denying claims saying you were racing. They've gone to the track and taken pictures of license plates. Me personally, I remove license plates when at the track just to play it safe.

OP
OP
O

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard of insurance carriers dropping your insurance or denying claims saying you were racing. They've gone to the track and taken pictures of license plates. Me personally, I remove license plates when at the track just to play it safe.

Probably a good idea. I thought of at least taping the plate over.I don't see where the insurance companies should really care. Most have exclusions in the policy. But then again they still have the liability factor which could be more costly.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I wont quote Robbie, because its going to honest to god look like I am trolling that guy. I really have no problem with him as a person, but some of this CRAP he says is INSANE.. So believe Robbie if you like, but I have bought 3 vipers, have had them ALL worked on under warranty, and have never had a problem. Here is what I have busted, and replaced FREE under warranty, after MANY agressive driving activities:

1. engine (complete rebuild by Arrow racing)
2. Transmission (new replacement)
2.5 Motor Mount (both sides)
3. all four corner shocks (ACR shocks, replaced sometimes more then once)
4. Seat (drivers seat showed cracks)
5. Water pump
5.5 Tie Rods
6. Power steering hoses
7. Alternator
8. half shafts (4 different times)
9. Wheel hubs (2)
10. Radio
11. Center console bezel
12. Foot Rest (srt-10 convert)
13. Speaker (srt-10 convert)
13.5 Tire Pressure Monitoring system computer (srt-10 convert)
14. Gas cap (srt-1o coupe)
15. Wheel (srt-10 convert)
16. Screws (srt-10 coupe)

17-1,000,000 all the other little sheet I cant remember that they covered under warranty. And as an added bonus, they let me have a NEON every time as a ******, until my car was ready :)

(BTW, I have never heard of rotors being covered per the original posters question, so you wear them down, along with the clutch, and its just part of normal maintenance that you own)

Dodge Rocks, when it comes to supporting these cars. ITs NOTHING like the crap the borvette or rustang guys have to deal with, which I have seen 1st hand while dropping friends off with those cars at their respective dealerships, just to be told certain items that Dodge covered for me, they would not be covering for them on their cars.

I dont believe robbies crap about people getting warranties voided on the vipers for putting them on the track. Dodge builds them for us to run them !!

End of story.

PROUDLY have bought 3 vipers new from dodge, and dont see my love afair ending any time soon !!

Jon

OP
OP
O

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I wont quote Robbie, because its going to honest to god look like I am trolling that guy. I really have no problem with him as a person, but some of this CRAP he says is INSANE.. So believe Robbie if you like, but I have bought 3 vipers, have had them ALL worked on under warranty, and have never had a problem. Here is what I have busted, and replaced FREE under warranty, after MANY agressive driving activities:

1. engine (complete rebuild by Arrow racing)
2. Transmission (new replacement)
2.5 Motor Mount (both sides)
3. all four corner shocks (ACR shocks, replaced sometimes more then once)
4. Seat (drivers seat showed cracks)
5. Water pump
5.5 Tie Rods
6. Power steering hoses
7. Alternator
8. half shafts (4 different times)
9. Wheel hubs (2)
10. Radio
11. Center console bezel
12. Foot Rest (srt-10 convert)
13. Speaker (srt-10 convert)
13.5 Tire Pressure Monitoring system computer (srt-10 convert)
14. Gas cap (srt-1o coupe)
15. Wheel (srt-10 convert)
16. Screws (srt-10 coupe)

17-1,000,000 all the other little sheet I cant remember that they covered under warranty. And as an added bonus, they let me have a NEON every time as a ******, until my car was ready :)

(BTW, I have never heard of rotors being covered per the original posters question, so you wear them down, along with the clutch, and its just part of normal maintenance that you own)

Dodge Rocks, when it comes to supporting these cars. ITs NOTHING like the crap the borvette or rustang guys have to deal with, which I have seen 1st hand while dropping friends off with those cars at their respective dealerships, just to be told certain items that Dodge covered for me, they would not be covering for them on their cars.

I dont believe robbies crap about people getting warranties voided on the vipers for putting them on the track. Dodge builds them for us to run them !!

End of story.

PROUDLY have bought 3 vipers new from dodge, and dont see my love afair ending any time soon !!

Jon

Wow! Sorry to hear all the stuff. But glad you were treated so well. Do you think that the particular dealer you deal with is the reason you have had such a good success rate? As you may know I have a borvette :rolleyes: also. Many others have great dealer warranty experiences and many have horrible experiences.

That is the route of my original question. I have heard that Dodge usually has a don't ask policy. Chevy seems to not be that way. So I was interested to see if what I heard about Dodge was true.

Thanks for your reply. :2tu:

Dan

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to hear all the stuff. But glad you were treated so well. Do you think that the particular dealer you deal with is the reason you have had such a good success rate? As you may know I have a borvette :rolleyes: also. Many others have great dealer warranty experiences and many have horrible experiences.

That is the route of my original question. I have heard that Dodge usually has a don't ask policy. Chevy seems to not be that way. So I was interested to see if what I heard about Dodge was true.

Dan

Dan,

Couple of things:

No reason to be sorry about my broke parts lists, I racked up almost 60,000 miles on the ACR that got all those free parts. I couldnt have been happier. They mostly failed due to my aggressiveness with the car.

Borvette and Rustang are my play on the cars, no reason to roll your eyes, I like both cars, but this is a Viper forum, I like poking at the competition :)

I think You are right about the dont ask, just fix deal with Dodge and the Vipers. And I love 'em for it.

3 different dealerships (maybe 4) did these fixes, and never was anything questioned. So its not cuz they love me, and with my personality how could anyone possibly ;-)

Finally, my fellow Viper brothren has told me of similar accomodations from their dealerships, one of the best people to get "stuff" covered was AB. Boy can he tell some stories of some freebies (if he wants to, probably doesnt.. lol)

Thats my rant.

Jon

OP
OP
O

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan

Dan,

Couple of things:

No reason to be sorry about my broke parts lists, I racked up almost 60,000 miles on the ACR that got all those free parts. I couldnt have been happier. They mostly failed due to my aggressiveness with the car.

Borvette and Rustang are my play on the cars, no reason to roll your eyes, I like both cars, but this is a Viper forum, I like poking at the competition :)

I think You are right about the dont ask, just fix deal with Dodge and the Vipers. And I love 'em for it.

3 different dealerships (maybe 4) did these fixes, and never was anything questioned. So its not cuz they love me, and with my personality how could anyone possibly ;-)

Finally, my fellow Viper brothren has told me of similar accomodations from their dealerships, one of the best people to get "stuff" covered was AB. Boy can he tell some stories of some freebies (if he wants to, probably doesnt.. lol)

Thats my rant.

Jon

Thanks again Jon.
I know you're just funnin with the nicknames. I was just funnin back.I think I am known as the b%tch because I own both. :D It can't get much better. :2tu:

I am glad to hear that Dodge has stood up to the task. I think they all should when they build a high performance car, advertise it that way and then sell it to you knowing full well many are going run them hard.

Cheers,
Dan

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where were these "note takers" at all the VOI's, zone rendezvous etc?? I have always found Dodge to promote the use of the cars on the track.
I find the letters to your friends hard to believe - can you please post the letter here?

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friend and I were on the track at Thunderhill recently when his transmission broke. Pretty serious failure, as the case was ruptured and it dumped oil all over the place. The car was taken to a dealer on a flatbed, and the Tranny was replaced under warranty, no problems. Also the dealer WAS aware the tranny broke on the track, but indicated this was not a problem.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently blew my engine under hard driving conditions. DC sent a flatbed, they picked up the car and ended up sending the entire engine to Arrow for a full rebuild.

Never was a question asked, they just replaced the engine.

This made me realize that 1) I do not want to own this car without a warranty and 2) that I will never own a true exotic as their warranties are crap.

My warranty is up in 2011 and Bill P. already knows to have a black 2011 Viper ready for me.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was mention on the VCA board about DC copying VIN #s quite a while ago. I think with the suggestion to cover your VIN #s and remove your license plate.

It's been brought up before. Truth or fiction..I don't know.

:bonker:

OP
OP
O

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

Dan

Sorry... accidentally hit send before i finished the post. They replaced my fan unit and trans with no questions asked. The fan broke at Pocono. Not sure how. The trans had made strage noises ever since i got it, but it got worse after a couple track days. So far, very pleased with warrantee claims.

So did they ever say what was wrong with the tranny? Did it over heat because of the fan failure?

Did the car run hotter? I noticed when a ran Shenandoah at summit point on a 90 plus deg. day the car ran surprisingly cool.

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your reply. Are you going to Pocono again in the spring?

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I stated above if you race theviper and dc catches you the warranty is void. It is stated in the warranty manual. That is why you always play stupic and say the car broke down on the street and have it flatbeded to the dealer. I have had my car fixed under warranty at Branhaven Dodge in Branford, CT and they have had no issues with all the mods that have been done to the car.

As far as saying" I really have no problem with him as a person, but some of this CRAP he says is INSANE.." You need to learn some control and stop the name callig and insults on this forum. This forum is here to help everyone, and if you disagree with something one says, you do not have to get personal about it with the insults.
:2tu:
Robbie

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks,

Dan

So did they ever say what was wrong with the tranny? Did it over heat because of the fan failure?

Did the car run hotter? I noticed when a ran Shenandoah at summit point on a 90 plus deg. day the car ran surprisingly cool.

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your reply. Are you going to Pocono again in the spring?

Dan

The dealer was unable to determine what was causing the noise in the trans, so they decided to just replace it. It definitely had nothing to do with the fan since the trans noise was there long before the fan broke. Besides, the fan still worked, it just vibrated pretty bad and I was affraid it would desintigrate. Whatever the trans problem was, it didn't seem to really effect how the car ran, although I figured it would eventually. The noise was only present at low speeds. There was a slight vibration, but it was barely noticeable. The new trans is quiet and a tad smoother on the shifting.

With the fan broken, the car ran about 10 degrees hotter when sitting in traffic, but no hotter than normal when moving over 40 mph. I have the DC computer upgrade with the 180 thermostat. This works really well and keeps the engine cool even on the hottest days, no matter how hard I run it.

I will definitely be at Pocono again in the Spring. Just put SSR comp wheels with Sport Cups on and the car feels so much faster! Dieing to see how it does on the track with this set-up. Hoping to have Motons installed by then too, but the cash-flow is a bit tight right now. Maybe after Christmas.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I have the DC computer upgrade with the 180 thermostat. This works really well and keeps the engine cool even on the hottest days, no matter how hard I run it."

This mods really works at making the car run cooler and giving you cooler A/C.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang