What is the maximum safe HP and PSI for TT setup on a forged stock Pistons / Rods.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before and I have used the search button. But there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Sean Roe has said that for superchargers, 8.5 PSI is the recommended limit on 93 octane for GEN2 99' and under, and 10PSI for GEN1. But I've been seeing a few TT GTS's for sale that have caught my eye, but have no built motor. A couple sellers with 98' and 99's claim around 900RWHP with dyno sheets, but no built motors. One was setup by DC and the other, AEM. Is this playing with fire? My thoughts were that the stock forged were reliably good to 800 - 900 brake HP at the crank. What's considered the safe RWHP limit before it's too risky?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What is the maximum safe HP and PSI for TT setup on a forged stock Pistons / Rods

Reliable means so many different things to so many people. To me, I gotta be able to beat the living piss out of it and have the car ask for more! If that was my car I wouldnt run more than 8lbs of boost or 750rwhp on any stock bottom end and expect it to last very long. I'm no rocket scientist but I dont think you can make 900rwhp on 8lbs of boost;) . Heat is the enemy, so if there was a way to run more boost, make more power and have the car run cooler then yeah go ahead and push 900 to the wheels on a stock forged bottom end :2tu:

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: What is the maximum safe HP and PSI for TT setup on a forged stock Pistons / Rods

Reliable means so many different things to so many people. To me, I gotta be able to beat the living piss out of it and have the car ask for more! If that was my car I wouldnt run more than 8lbs of boost or 750rwhp on any stock bottom end and expect it to last very long. I'm no rocket scientist but I dont think you can make 900rwhp on 8lbs of boost;) . Heat is the enemy, so if there was a way to run more boost, make more power and have the car run cooler then yeah go ahead and push 900 to the wheels on a stock forged bottom end :2tu:

I agree. Reliability can be in the eye of the beholder. So 750RWHP of boosted power should be a safe limit then. Ok, I found a 98' TT with Oliver Connecting rods, but no mention of pistons. It's making close to 900RWHP. Are the rods the weakest link or the pistons. By replacing the rods only, is this considered safe for inter-cooled boost to make that kind of power? I'm toying with the idea of buying a reliable supercharged or TT GTS or SRT10 for around $50K since they seem to be popping up all over.

Last edited:

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Oliver rods are arguably the best in the industry. If someone put Olivers in their engine build, it's HIGHLY unlikely that they would use stock pistons. Chances are it will have a nice piston (Ross, CP, Diamond, etc..) to compliment those rods.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Oliver rods are arguably the best in the industry. If someone put Olivers in their engine build, it's HIGHLY unlikely that they would use stock pistons. Chances are it will have a nice piston (Ross, CP, Diamond, etc..) to compliment those rods.

Interesting... I'll have to inquire further on that, it did seam pointless to use stock pistons but there was no mention of aftermarket in the extensive mods list. Oversight maybe.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

agreed on the oliver rods. the problem with going over ~650rwhp is the valve springs, they are a weak link for us. but there has been and still is a bunch of 750-800rwhp stock engine cars out there running 14lbs on paxtons.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hit 17 PSI indicated boost yesterday on my ROE. Other than being sideways as the world was flashing by, it seemed to run OK! The big shot of W/M keeps the intake charge and more importantly the combustion temps in check. And I'm running stock rods on Diamond pistons; amoungst other things.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just got an email back from the seller:
"Thanks for the email. The pistons are stock forged from factory. I unfortunately don't have any of the build sheets ART in Austin built the car you can call Chris who can give you all of the details. The car has corillo rods, it is a 488 ci has not been stroked and is running 12 psi. Car is reliable and dependable. The internals in all 96-98 cars are Forged. "

First he says Oliver, now he says Corillo. 12psi on stock internals?? Sounds high.
Does anyone know the website for ART? Never heard of them.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ran 15# of boost through my stock 94 for roughly 25-30k miles. All i had in the engine was H.S. roller rockers. Took it apart this winter to see what all came apart in my spirited cruises of the last few years and low and behold,,,,,,,,, nothing! Even the detonation I was having tuning the vec at first left no marks or broken parts whatsoever................. kinda pissed I took it apart.
Gen. 1 engines can take a beating! I love my car. (did I say that out loud?):D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First he says Oliver, now he says Corillo. 12psi on stock internals?? Sounds high.
Does anyone know the website for ART? Never heard of them.

No one is stupind enough to put a set of nice rods with stock pistons. At least I would hope not. The guy's story is fishy. ART website:

http://americanracingtech.com/

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ran 15# of boost through my stock 94 for roughly 25-30k miles. All i had in the engine was H.S. roller rockers. Took it apart this winter to see what all came apart in my spirited cruises of the last few years and low and behold,,,,,,,,, nothing! Even the detonation I was having tuning the vec at first left no marks or broken parts whatsoever................. kinda pissed I took it apart.
Gen. 1 engines can take a beating! I love my car. (did I say that out loud?):D

Sean Roe says GEN1's can take the most beating because of lower compression.

No one is stupin enough to put a set of nice rods with stock pistons. At least I would hope not. The guy's story is fishy. ART website:

http://americanracingtech.com/

The seller is actually BJMOTORS. After seeing all the Vipers they sell, it surprises me how he defends saying that the stock pistons are good enough.

Thanks for the website, I'll call and ask them. I remember them now. They built the fastest top speed Viper a while back.