What Is The Protocol? For The Public.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past month I have had many people approach me. Asking for photos of the car. Asking to sit in the car. Asking for a ride.

So far I have allowed the photo sessions, and I have offered the kids a seat.

But I do not see myself giving anyone I do not know a ride in the car.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

-Jeff

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean. Too many Jerry Springer types out there for my taste. But you HAVE to hear this story:

I am taking my new 00 GTS back to the dealer for a little warranty work, and I pull into a gas station to get a root beer.

This girl pulls in front of me and gets out of her car and say, "I just had to ask you if you would give me a ride in your car?"

Now you have to imagine what this girl looked like: About 25, 5'4" 110 lbs and very cute. Honestly, I thought she might actually be a dancer/stripper.

So I contemplated what to do and told her I would drive her around the parking lot.

I did this, she loved it, and I said, "too bad I didn't have my camera with me, I could take a picture of you in the Viper."

She then says,"It's probably better that you didn't have it ... I'd probably have to get up on the hood..."
bounce.gif

Well folks, you be the judge.

I told a friend of mine that has a couple of taxi businesses and his first comment was,"I wonder if it was a set up....."

All this hesitation reveals one's age I suppose!

Of course, the world was a lot different 25 years ago!

Boy, she was a dish though.....

(Hey Wayne, I'll bet I was being a wuss, wasn't I?)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my wife and I take the car North to the mountains. Last night we go to this italian resteraunt for dinner. We eat, very nice meal. My wife wants to look around in a shop next door. I say good I will take the top and the windows off and move the car.

So I drive by the resteraunt and park out in front of the shop. Two waitresses come out of the resteraunt with big grins. Oh we just wanted to see your car. It sure is fine. How about a ride?

I say listen, my wife is in the store. If she comes out and I am taking you around the block for a ride. That could get ugly, real fast.

And I won't have this car anymore, if you know what I mean.

-Man.

But when I told my wife she got a big kick out of it and treated me to a nice round of....golf? ;-) No not golf.

-Jeff

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1-Photos OK if they have a camera.
2-Sit in out of the question except kids.
3-Ride ONLY with a DNA match!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess everybody has their own protocol. I always encourage anybody that shows interest to get in and take a look. It actually surprises me that some are too nervous to get in. I've given a lot of rides to total strangers--most of the time I ask if they want a ride around the block. I've always felt like I was good at reading people--so I don't worry about the negative side of doing this. People don't typically mess with me anyway.

I remember one time I was at a self-serve spray wash and the local street racers were hanging around. Of course, I quickly drew a lot of attention and they were very respectful of my car. I asked one of the guys if he wanted a ride, which he accepted after getting over the shock. After probably the wildest ride of his life, he got out of the car with the biggest smile I've seen. I figure stuff like that is good karma and always pays off. YMMV

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found most people to be very suprised if you offer a seat to them and floored if they get a ride!! Not everyone gets a ride, but it is very hard to turn down a child who dream car is the Viper
smile.gif

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think our southern brethren have a saying that should cover any doubts you may have, "As*, gas, or grass - no one rides for free."

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never refuse a photo request, even allowing someone to be photographed behind the wheel. I also carry several laminated color photos of my car on the track (my avitar) which I give to youngsters that have that special twinkle in their eye. I was asked to sign one that I gave to a little girl yesterday. I simply noted the place, date, year and model Viper. Very rewarding both ways.

As far as giving rides, discretion is very much in order.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys get questions answered and taking them for a drive is out of the question.

If the women let the puppies breathe, they get a ride around the block or until the shirt comes back on...

G

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACR Joe:

As far as giving rides, discretion is very much in order.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. If they aren't a ********* forget it!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR Joe,
I like your idea of giving out pictures. When we Drag Raced Professionaly in the 1970's, we had pictures of the car and handed them out. I just took a couple of pictures of my Viper, put them onto a single 8 1/2" X 11" paper size, changed them to black and white (not as elaborate as your color), and also put some Viper specs on the bottom of the page. Print, then copied using office copier (black and white). These can be carried all the time, and the kids will love them.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Exactly. If they aren't a ********* forget it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the most insensitive thing I have ever heard. A broad can't help it if she doesn't meat your standards.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
That is the most insensitive thing I have ever heard. A broad can't help it if she doesn't meat your standards.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoken from a person with no standards...

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One night I was filling up the Snake and a guy with a huge truck pulled up beside me. He said, "Hey man, my sister wants to go for a ride". It was late and I really did not want to give a ride to anyone .... until I saw his sister. Wow. As she ran up to me I quickly analyzed the situation and did the only thing a red blooded American male would do .... I said, "would you like to go for a ride?". She was just too cute to turn down.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Guys get questions answered and taking them for a drive is out of the question.

If the women let the puppies breathe, they get a ride around the block or until the shirt comes back on...

G

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Masking your real sexuality with typical "guy" humor. Nice try Gerald.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree guys get answers and photos no rides!!!
hot chicks get rides if they ask... !
question:
how do you handle a 4 year old kid who is looking at your car like it is Santa and the reindeer with frosty thrown in for good measure and wants to ride? you give him a ride right? but dad wants to have him sit on his lap ( he is only 4yrs old) in the passenger seat????? turn off the airbag belt them and go around the block? or say no dice the kid alone? what do ya do??

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last question first: If the 4-year-old wants to ride, you explain to dad that it is a casual ride around the block. No double up lap rides in the interest of safety. If you don't have a car seat for the little kids or a switchable passenger airbag, forget it. Even a nice ride around the block doesn't account for grandma when she pulls out in front of you and your airbag injures (or worse) the joy rider. As with ANY rider, realize that you are liable if they are injured.

As to rides, I have given a few to those that truly seem like they will appreciate it. The last guy had a shaved head, pierced nose, and could recite any Mopar fact that he was asked. Dreams of Vipers but never saw one up close. Pretty obvious that he was a Mopar nut and just seeing a Viper was making his day. I offered a ride and thought he would faint. Even took off his chains around his belt so he wouldn't screw up the interior. I didn't hesitate and he grinned so much I almost started laughing. Guarantee it was a ride he will never forget.

On the flip side, I was at the Kansas Speedway yesterday with 19 other Vipers. Went out to the car to get something and noticed a family milling around and snapping tons of pictures. I offered to let them sit in mine as long as I was out there. I took digital pictures of them in the car and e-mailed them. Later on, I went into the media center to talk to the guys from Richard Petty. Lo and behold, I hear "Chris! Chris!" It is the dad from the earlier encounter. He then introduced me to the other family they came with and told me that they were really upset that they missed the chance to sit in a Viper. Of course, I offered to let them come out and give it a try. They said they only had one picture left on their camera and I offered to shoot a digital shot or two and e-mail them.

The problem was this: They had a teenage exchange student who was, at the risk of sounding like a dirty old man, one of the most attractive and buxom young ladies I have ever seen in my life. She was very excited and showed it. Unfortunately, my beautiful bride and many of the other Viper owners were gathered at this point. I knew this going out, but had no idea that one of the people accompanying me would be a worthy candidate for the best pin up calendars out there. My wife gave me the evil eye in a BIG way and when this young lady climbed into the car I was pretty sure I was dead meat. One of my friends in the club unwittingly sealed my fate when he leaned over to my wife and said, "He sure is lucky to have a wife that is so understanding." She said it was one of the most humiliating times in her life and cried most of the way home. The Viper almost ended up for sale last night.

So, long story short (whew!), pick your rides carefully, but choose those that you feel will really enjoy it the most. For those that say in a monotone voice, "Gee, I always wanted to ride in a Viper", forget it. It always helps if you leave from a crowd on the very, very off chance you picked a lunatic (never heard of one yet). As to photos, I do two things:

1. Carry a Polaroid camera by the spare tire so you can pass out pictures to the kids of them in the car and
2. Carry a digital camera on trips and for events (car shows, cruises, etc.) so that you can e-mail adults their pictures (cheaper and better quality).

Just be sure that if your significant other is there that you do NOT let any pretty girls (or guys) near your car and ignore them if they get friendly. I tried to balance out the cute European with the Hells Angel that I gave the ride to, but my wife wouldn't hear of it. I had embarrassed her in front of a bunch of people and I am still in the dog house. Thanks Matthew!
tongue.gif

Chris

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
matthew,
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

Wife even asked if i go out alone cruising for chicks in the car?? I will be 33 in Sept; with her 13 years; 2 children !!
i don't get it?? What does she think young buxom ladies just jump viper owners at signal lights???
i have reassured her i just love to drive.... but i too have been in the doghouse many nights and she cant wait till winter when my snake has to go hibernation ....

JIM

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when does Chuck 98 have standards...LOL

Chuck....what type of "meat" did you mean in your first post....LOL

I agree with Gerald, photo is OK, but no rides.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few months ago, I went to gas up the beast on a Saturday night. It so happens that the gas station I use isn't too far from a Super KMart parking lot. Being Saturday, there was a "car show" happening.

About twenty people walked to the gas station to see the car. It was a little unnerving to be honest. Anyway, all these guys belonged to one car club and had 1000 questions.

I remembered being their age (I'm 30) and envying the Viper so I offered anyone who wanted one, a ride. Low and behold, every guy lined up for one. I lost track of the number of rides I gave that night.

It looked like an amusement park. They even had a nicely formed single file line.

Too bad I was breaking in the car at the time. I didn't have the opp to really show them how a torque monster eats road.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang