What is the re-sale value on Comp Coupes?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the depreciation on Comp Coupes. I'm sure it would depend on wear and tear and mileage but could someone give me a ball park?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, wasnt there a Comp Coupe that was just listed on ebay for $100K that did not get a bid? If so, what do these babies sell for? $150K? That's a big bite in the butt for a car that can only be driven at the track.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$150,000 give or take about $10,000 for options like paint.

Now for depreciation, I would have to agree. There was one on eBay with no reserve at $100K and no bids. The car if I was not mistaken was barely used. Problem is that the car is so concentrated in it's possible use and many people are not qualified to purchase the car let alone afford it. This is true with almost all "FACTORY" race cars. Look at Ferrari challenge cars. They sell, just like the Viper at about 33% less if they were even touched.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard used CCs go for between 100K and 120K.

I knew of one with only a few hours on it that could have been had for 95K.

eBay isn't a good yardstick for CCs.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys I bought my car from run two Comp Coupes. They bought theirs for $129K each back in the day. That was in grey gelcoat no headlights etc. Then you get it painted, and some extras, go track it a few times, get SMOKED, then start buying upgrades.

That's when the beast takes a bite out of your budget. If you want to run competitively you will prob spend an additional $30-60K on the car.

Then when it's all over and you want to sell it, what is it actually worth ? Good question. Probably under the original $129K unless you get a buyer who understands that he would have had to buy all of those upgrades also.

I'm surprised you don't see them being sold for around $80-90K because they have been beat to death for years. I wonder what the last raffle winner would have sold his for if he had not kept it. BTW - They look & sound really cool !

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you bought a used one for about $100K. is it dropping to $70k in two years or $90K?

I'm playing with the thought of owning a CC for a few years just for track events. Probably not racing, just for fun and to give my GTS a break.
I wouldn’t mind a $10K hit when I sell it, but $30K would bother me.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew- the bigger question is are you prepared to face the operating costs of the CC verses your GTS

I have a full race setup GTS and it costs me $1,000 a weekend and I manage that by using 'scrubs' at $90 each instead of stickers at $375 each. (I'm not including the occasional transmission at $3,500 or a motor rebuild every 60-70 hours

CC guys are spending $4,000 a weekend through the course of a year - the biggest part of that is tires.

further - a showroom stock CC is only a second or two a lap quicker than a well setup GTS race car.

In my humble opinion anyone running a street GTS on the trtack needs to be thinking about a roll cage and fire supression. Your stock GTS is one fast car on the track.

I ran my 96 GTS at Viper Days etc until one day woke up and realized I was running lap times right up there with guys in fire suits, roll cages etc.
If you stay on street tires I think the danger level is even greater. A race car on slicks in trouble, stops a lot quicker than the same car on street tires.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Gavin, $4,000 a weekend I wouldn't want to spend.
I have about $20,000 into my GTS street car on brakes, Quaife, half shafts, 5 point harnesses etc. No roll cage and I haven't touched the engine, but I run street tires to keep myself at what I feel are OEM safe speeds. The Comp Coupe was just to have a race car to track for fun, with race tires and the works. I enjoy club racing my car at the track very much, but not $2,000 a day much. Thanks for the insight.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, if you want a dedicated track car you might be able to pick up a VRL GTS in the 50K range. Not bad for what you want to use it for.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting these over inflated operating costs of a Comp Coupe? The Viper Days Teams? Yes some of those teams do spend 4K in tires a weekend. Me, I'm buying used tires, And driving my tires until i see a risk. Buy the CC you will have so much fun. Who's getting smoked? Are you now talking about World Challange Teams? Last race i competed in I was up against 2 World Challange Porsche Teams. My times were 5 Seconds a lap slower. Not bad for a small 1 man operation in a back yard garage

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True Frank. Andrew is talking about running it in our Florida-based SAFE Motorsports club. Entry fee $250, a couple hundred miles travel, one night hotel. He can probably get away with $1,000 to $1,500 total per weekend.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comp Coupe resale depends largely on maintenance and exposure. The one car that I know of that went REALLY cheap, was wrecked and repaired (and a top flight job was done) but the car wasn't then put back on track so it was an unknown.

The car needs to be sold to another like minded person and the best way to find that person is at the track.

A winning car, well maintained WILL hold it's value. I can't see CC's dipping anywhere near $70K as long as they are in one piece.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True Frank. Andrew is talking about running it in our Florida-based SAFE Motorsports club. Entry fee $250, a couple hundred miles travel, one night hotel. He can probably get away with $1,000 to $1,500 total per weekend.

That’s exactly what I was thinking Chuck. It would see 20-30 driving school events each year and probability and few Viper Days. Maybe spit the car with Jerry to save $$. Not to embarrass myself to the real CC racers, but I'll probably spend as much time washing and waxing the car as I will driving it:) I’m sure the $4,000 per weekend would have include travel and help. I would do everything myself, except for the serious mechanic work.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of getting a Comp Coupe, you could get a salvage title GTS, do a ton of mods, and still be cheaper than a Comp Coupe.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GTS Anaconda, and I don't want something to wrench on every weekend because one mod is not playinf nice with another mod.

Been there, doing that:-(

I don't want to say money is not an object, but if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right and with a Viper:)

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether you look at a Comp Coupe or a GTS, buy one that has already been set up and used on the track. Trying to ad mods yourself will cost you a ton of money unless you already do it professionally. It takes a long time and lots of cash to properly sort out a car and make it both fast and safe.

Your primary concern should be to get a car that has a good cage and all the safety equipment. Once that criteria has been met, make sure that the car has a history of good performance.

The most obvious place to make inquiries is with any of the competitors at Viperdays, they've been there, done that...

**** luck

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The inside back cover of the latest viper magazine has a dodge ad advertising the comp coupe starting at 129,000$
(wonder if they will be giving employee discounts?)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an FYI - we're pretty much known as Team Cheap and if you want to be competitive and do any travel- count on $4K per weekend.

Once you get used to decent tires (aka new tire crack) you don't go back to hard as rocks slicks - besides they are dangerous. If you get a decent amount of track time and you want to drive competitively - figure one set per weekend.

Maintenance is costly if you do it right. Fluids, alignments, etc. and we do this all ourselves.

Brake pads are pretty reasonable- but it's a set $400 - every other event or every 1.5 events.

Being able to run 93 octane is nice- but even that is getting up there.

Travel, hotel, safety equipment if you don't already have it - things like driving suit, HANS device, cool suit, radios, etc. all, IMO, necessary for ANY competitive racing.

Buying a car already sorted out - like Sonny said - is THE BEST way to go.

Whatever you have done in a street car - you have NO IDEA how different it is in a race car - (if you are planning to RACE and not do HPDEs) Yu can do it yourself - but it's a huge investment in equipment, and moreso, in time.

I don't think you'd be sorry buying a well sorted out Comp Coupe. They are really great cars, parts are "reasonable" and there is a ton of support out there from folks like Archer Racing, etc. And - they are not "fussy" - they are great car to start racing - Dodge did a great job of making a car that you can get in and get to 85% very quickly.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Janni,
I didn't know or think about making sure the car was already set up for the track. I'm not majorly worried about being overly competitive. I'm only racing myself. I don't have the time or inkling to start swapping paint with some scca champ in turn 17.
Questions, Tires one set per weekend? if I'm driving with safe motorsports or ViperDays the track is pretty much open all day, but most other clubs I may only get 2-3hr. on the track that day, and I'm pretty confident with the corners but I'm not shredding tires like Chuck Babel. So I wouldn't think I would go through tires TOO fast. But I appreciate the insight very much.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ack Janni, I better not let Christa see your expense schedule. She will never let me out of the Challenge Series :confused: .