What is the true top speed of a Viper???

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I have seen in Road & Track showing a Viper Gts top speed at 185. I have seen other articles stating speeds of 190 or more. What is the true top speed of a GenII Viper? Is the speed the same between the GTS and RT/10? PROWLER... 96 GTS

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen 140 and the car still had tons
of more power.

someone here on the board had the quote:

"You will run out of road or balls before the viper
will run out of horsepower."

sorry i dont recall the author.

JIM
smile.gif

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 is generally slower on the top end but it is an RT/10 that holds the published 1/4 mile record @ 11.77

The highest published top speed was 192.6 mph for a red/yellow 97 GTS. It was the second high speed shootout for motor trend.

Nightstalker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is that when I was pulled over by the Texas State Troop oo HWY 211, I was clocked at 152. The police officer very pissed to say the least at me. The only reason I didn't get a ticket was i was already pulled over on the shoulder, when he arrived. I was talking to my friend who passed me on his bike like I was standing still. The cop had never seen a Race Yellow Viper before. He liked and let me go with a warning.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a passenger in a 99RT/10 with the top off at about 175 (not trying for top speed), and with the top on at 180 (not trying for top speed). And been in a 97 GTS at 180 and a 96GTS accelerating HARD through 175 with another 96 next to us

Tom

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im not a high speed runner but this past weekend i went to a freinds house in jersey to see his new gts and when i crossed the memorial bridge it was open clear road.i rolled into it and the next thing i knew i was at 150 on the top of the bridge. what a rush.the car had tons more but i wanted to be somewhat safe as i was approaching cars quick.the car was super stable and had tons to go .
however as soon as i hit the brakes at 150 to start slowing ,the car was tough to hold in line.not tough but not as easy as when i was excellerating.
id say a gts with minor mods and a well set up suspension should have no problem hitting 200 plus.i know im going to get ***** for this but my 02 z06 that i had was way more stable at high speeds,but its just not a snake.

Surly 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hit $150+ on the back straight at Road Atlanta last summer as I went by a 993 Turbo! After that it just didn't matter anymore.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
172 in a 95 RT without the top. On an oval track but the poor handling loimited speed in the turns. I believe there was 2-3 mph left to go (very slow acceleration at 172). Did this consistently over several laps.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
162 on a track in our RT with my wife filming the ride from the passenger seat. The camera only had a viewfinder--no little screen. Said she won't do that again. The filming that is--she wanted to go faster. No top or back window. The car had more. I didn't.

Steve

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
280 km/hr, approx 175 here, and still pulling nicely, until the passenger glass popped out!! ouch, remember to lower glass a touch to keep the cabin pressure from getting out of control. HVAC on full blast might help a bit too.

I had miles of pristine, straight road, not a car in sight, the window thing spooked me out or I would have kept on going, next time........

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig 201 MPH:
The RT/10 is generally slower on the top end
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't count on it. I ran with the Texas Ironmen (all GTSs) at 175mph, WITH THE SOFT TOP!!!

Top speed is gonna vary from conditions just like 1/4 times.

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys I feel like a wimp. I havn't reached the 160 mark yet. the car seems to pull well to 150, does it keep pulling as hard to 180+ or does it hit a wall due to aerodynamics??...PROWLER..

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 00prowler:
Well guys I feel like a wimp. I havn't reached the 160 mark yet. the car seems to pull well to 150, does it keep pulling as hard to 180+ or does it hit a wall due to aerodynamics??...PROWLER..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The GTS's pull pretty good to 180, 180-193 or so takes a little longer to wind out. Some guys in Bone stock GTS's have hit 205 going down a hill!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Cooper Red 00 GTS VA:
I know mine will do 200,,,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, with 756 RWHP, your car should pull around 226 MPH! I figured this out on my spreadsheet! I will email you a copy! Paolo

Mark F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor Trend magazine (May 1998, page 48) tested a number of supercars including a stock blue & white stripe Viper GTS. The final results were Viper (192.6 mph), Lotus Espirit V-8 (179.4); Ferrari 355 F1 (177.6), Porsche 911 Carrera (174.8), Corvette (173.9), Aston Martin DB7 (163.5), BMW M Roadster (139.7), and Panoz AIV Roadster (134.0). The Viper lost a coolant hose at 192 so the top speed test for the GTS was halted.

There were a number of other tests as well, and the Viper won most overall, including 1/4 mile ([email protected]), 0-100-0 (13.7 sec), one mile acceleration (30.1 sec @173.3 mph) , 600 ft slalom (72.5 mph). The Lotus came in second most of the tests.

The Viper came in second in the road course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway’s infield (38.9 sec for the Viper vs 38.8 sec for the Ferrari). MT reported the Viper had a pair of mismatched tires otherwise it would have won the road course and would have done better in the braking test.

In the 60-0 braking test, the Viper came in next to last, beating only the Aston Martin (no newsflash there, as sometimes I think my Dodge Ram pickup has a tighter turning circle and may be able to outbrake my 97 Viper blue/white striper).

I recommend you get this issue of the magazine, either as a back issue from MT or used on Ebay.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark F:
Motor Trend magazine (May 1998, page 48) tested a number of supercars including a stock blue & white stripe Viper GTS. The final results were Viper (192.6 mph), Lotus Espirit V-8 (179.4); Ferrari 355 F1 (177.6), Porsche 911 Carrera (174.8), Corvette (173.9), Aston Martin DB7 (163.5), BMW M Roadster (139.7), and Panoz AIV Roadster (134.0). The Viper lost a coolant hose at 192 so the top speed test for the GTS was halted.

There were a number of other tests as well, and the Viper won most overall, including 1/4 mile ([email protected]), 0-100-0 (13.7 sec), one mile acceleration (30.1 sec @173.3 mph) , 600 ft slalom (72.5 mph). The Lotus came in second most of the tests.

The Viper came in second in the road course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway’s infield (38.9 sec for the Viper vs 38.8 sec for the Ferrari). MT reported the Viper had a pair of mismatched tires otherwise it would have won the road course and would have done better in the braking test.

In the 60-0 braking test, the Viper came in next to last, beating only the Aston Martin (no newsflash there, as sometimes I think my Dodge Ram pickup has a tighter turning circle and may be able to outbrake my 97 Viper blue/white striper).

I recommend you get this issue of the magazine, either as a back issue from MT or used on Ebay.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, you are correct about everything except the Viper that went 192.6 was a red one, I remember seeing the video. It is the one that blew a water pump. They replaced it with the Blue/White GTS that had the mismatched tires. Paolo

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Mine will go as fast as I want to go.. I just don't have the ballz

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Gerald, long time no talk, how have you been?
I am glad to see you did not sell your car! Paolo

P.S. How do you like my intercooler on my new avatar picture?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4