What is this thing?

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of these things on the front and back of my car. Anybody know what they are? I'm assuming they aren't stock?

You must be registered for see images attach

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a lazer jammer. Should be two up front and one on or near your rear license plate. May also have a control on or under you dash.

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one in the front and one in the back. They're wired directly into the fuse box/battery.

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess denniskgb is on to something here then;)

But really, it does look allot like the laser jammer sensors I had installed on my coupe.
Do you have a picture of the rear one?

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. I never hear any noises or see any lights so I'm guessing they don't, but I'm not certain. Any ideas on how I could test it out (aside from speeding down the highway :lmao:)?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to look under the dash, around the steering column, etc and find a toggle switch.
It's gotta be there.

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never hear any noises or see any lights so I'm guessing they don't, but I'm not certain.

I think that means that they actually work :) From what I've read they should be used in combination with your radar detector. If you are the first car to get hit with a laser, your detecor will go off just to tell you that you'll be getting a ticket. With a jammer (if you are the first car to be hit) the cop will get a malfunction reading once, at which time your radar detector will tell you to slow down. When the cop hits you again, his device will work, but you'd have hopefully slowed down enough to avoid being pulled over.

One way to find out if it works would be to somehow get ahold of a laser device and have a friend check whether the first reading is thrown off (no speeding necessary).

OP
OP
D

dcvickers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked everywhere and can't find anything. The wiring for the back one goes straight to the battery and ends. The one in the front has wiring that goes into the fuse box and ends.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of these things operate with Blue Tooth. Power them up and they connect to your detector via Blue Tooth. I have one (K40 I think) that would do this if I had their brand of radar detector. I don't I have a V1. It does trigger a small LED on the dash if it sees laser though.

StyVip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it appears based on your description and pictures they are sleaz..bay signal emmiters aka Shields. They were popular years ago but now they are just plain usless due to the expansive signal variance various agencies use. I would remove them especcially if you drive into Canada as they are illegal here without a frequency license under the electronic signals legislation authorizing the singnal emmission noise it creates.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang