What makes the Gen5 worth $100K?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of all of the potential owners out there I am really looking forward to your impressions when you get yours since you have never owned a previous Viper before. Given the types of cars you have had and considered, I want to know whether the quality of the Gen V meets your expectations. For most prior Viper owners of course the new interior is going to be incredible because of what they were used to in the prior gens. However, you are the real test so hopefully you get yours relatively soon.

I'll do a full write up. some owners on here have posted some great ones already. Given my history my perspective should be unique as u suggest. tick tock.

palindrome

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hardly call a large African American woman named Shaniqua who was putting the Gen 4 engine together on the mega factories show, a craftsman.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hardly call a large African American woman named Shaniqua who was putting the Gen 4 engine together on the mega factories show, a craftsman.

And I'm sure those who bought GEN IVs that routinely spank cars with engines built by skinny guys wearing jump suits believe Shaniqua is doing a hell of a job. Whatever dude!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In Italy it is practically illegal to fire someone. You think all the people building Ferrari's and Lamborghini's are winners?

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SAVE IT THIS AINT FANTASYLAND.From my buddys who I raced with at McMullen Argus I know for a fact SRT ENGINEERS wanted ALL of the above features in the 5 (including 700 hp )but they simply didn't have platform money As far as racetrack perform being the ultimate determining factor of purchase in the 100k price pointt the GEN 4 Viper absolutely destroyed EVERYTHING out there on the track how well did that car sell.Buyers in this price strata want- expect EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the car to be first rate (tech features ,amenitys,,fit finish, features ,ride dealer servicingect )

The Gen 4 had one out of three key factors for a car at the $100K level - performance. It was heavily lacking in terms of fit-and-finish as well a styling. The Gen 5 has performance, style and finish nailed down and is easily comparable to other cars in the $100K-$200K range. It can be a daily driver and perhaps with nothing more than a tire swap, a top tier race car.

The items you listed as deficiencies are in fact not because SRT found a way to keep costs under control WITHOUT giving up performance.

Please stop with the BS it cheapens the feable argument your trying to make.If you truly believe those features you mentioned are not in there because they are not superior (MONEY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT )despite the fact that ultra high perf platform in the world has them I beg to differ.LOL Ferrarri , Porsche know nothing about selling high perf cars The operative word is SELLING .

You're not making an argument here; you're putting forth a lot of opinion without even trying to back any of it up. For instance you complain that the Gen 5 does not have an all-aluminum frame, but ignore the fact that even with its steel frame it stomps cars that do have all-aluminum frames. Point? If the viper was being built to serve ONE purpose, being track performance, maybe an all-aluminum frame would have made sense for some weight savings...but since the Viper is designed to excel as a street-driven car as much as a track car, the stronger, more rigid steel frame makes sense.

The features YOU mentioned that I responded to are better if you are building a racing-specific vehicle. I explained why a dry sump oiling system can be better, and I also explained why it's not the smartest choice for a car that will see 80% street and 20% track. I also explained why the oiling system that the Viper uses ensures that the engine is receiving proper lubrication whether you're out cruising or racing on a track.

Like I said...you can roll up in a ferrari or porsche and brag about your window sticker bullet points while people who opt for the SRT can brag about how they consistently beat your "superior" car on the track.

Kinda early to draw conclusions about the Gen 5's sales performance...let's wait and see on that one...although I do agree that chrysler should do a better job of separating the SRT brand from Dodge by incentivizing dealers to create dedicated SRT showrooms.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 PeerBlock and PolicyLimits.

Another factor in the grand scheme of things - Why are Gen V buyers really passionate about the Viper? It's not purely a logical argument. It's more about emotion.

I am drawn to this car because it stirs the soul, it calls to my inner child more than any Ferrari or other exotic super car. It has the curves of Halle Berry and the moves of Mohammed Ali. It has a rich history of shattering track records and roots going back to the Cobra. In my mind it therefore does have pedigree, and further strengthens my emotional connection to this made-in-Detroit super car.

Life's short. Carpe diem!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 had one out of three key factors for a car at the $100K level - performance. It was heavily lacking in terms of fit-and-finish as well a styling. The Gen 5 has performance, style and finish nailed down and is easily comparable to other cars in the $100K-$200K range. It can be a daily driver and perhaps with nothing more than a tire swap, a top tier race car.

The items you listed as deficiencies are in fact not because SRT found a way to keep costs under control WITHOUT giving up performance.

You're not making an argument here; you're putting forth a lot of opinion without even trying to back any of it up. For instance you complain that the Gen 5 does not have an all-aluminum frame, but ignore the fact that even with its steel frame it stomps cars that do have all-aluminum frames. Point? If the viper was being built to serve ONE purpose, being track performance, maybe an all-aluminum frame would have made sense for some weight savings...but since the Viper is designed to excel as a street-driven car as much as a track car, the stronger, more rigid steel frame makes sense.

The features YOU mentioned that I responded to are better if you are building a racing-specific vehicle. I explained why a dry sump oiling system can be better, and I also explained why it's not the smartest choice for a car that will see 80% street and 20% track. I also explained why the oiling system that the Viper uses ensures that the engine is receiving proper lubrication whether you're out cruising or racing on a track.

Like I said...you can roll up in a ferrari or porsche and brag about your window sticker bullet points while people who opt for the SRT can brag about how they consistently beat your "superior" car on the track.

Kinda early to draw conclusions about the Gen 5's sales performance...let's wait and see on that one...although I do agree that chrysler should do a better job of separating the SRT brand from Dodge by incentivizing dealers to create dedicated SRT showrooms.
In 2003 I was fortunate enough to be one of the first civilians to drive the Ford GT prototype at Englishtown NJ during some testing Evan Smith was doing on the car John Colettti and I talked for hours about exactly WHAT A BUYER WANTS AND EXPECTS in a 100k plus car .Absolute performance is but a SMALL SINGLE FACTOR (As i pointed out previously the GEN 4 destroyed everything on the track but sold terribly) .In building the FGT Coletti had Ford buy numerious Ferarri 360 to reverse engineer giving as many technological features as he could within budget because FEATURES SELL CARS He Coletti wanted a single platform na motor NIXED BECAUSE OF BUDGET .He Coletti wanted a weight under 3000 lbs NIXED BECAUSE OF BUDGET.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^totally agree^^^^....for the features, performance, hand built aspect of it, the thing is relatively cheap! Most of its competition is at least double the price!! with the 100k I saved by choosing the car I might build a garage extension and more cars lol

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the FGT... It's over $200k now and it's basically a tribute car to the great GT40 the way the Viper is a tribute car the the Shelby Daytona... Two of the highest selling cars at auction ever... Any questions:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the FGT... It's over $200k now and it's basically a tribute car to the great GT40 the way the Viper is a tribute car the the Shelby Daytona... Two of the highest selling cars at auction ever... Any questions:D
The Gulf Blue are.You can buy a white blue stripped car all 4 option (5000 miles )today for 130k .Last year Buhler had a 2006 black silver strip 2200 mile car that sold for 138kWith those cars a lot of it is color choice If you don't drive them ALL the depreciation of OUT of the FGT. Regarding the GEN 5 the banks are putting 3 year residual figures of 50% on them for leases .Do the math

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gulf Blue are.You can buy a white blue stripped car all 4 option (5000 miles )today for 130k .Last year Buhler had a 2006 black silver strip 2200 mile car that sold for 138kWith those cars a lot of it is color choice If you don't drive them ALL the depreciation of OUT of the FGT. Regarding the GEN 5 the banks are putting 3 year residual figures of 50% on them for leases .Do the math

Most 15 years and older Vipers are still around 50% of original price.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On any suv ,car ect over 100k the first buyer gets totally destroyed .Last week I facilitated the deal on a new RANGE ROVER HSE fullsize for my exgirlfriend. For 13 they redeisigned it and right now its the hottest big dollar one out there. Sticker price ranges from 90-175k (all option orientated )Hers came in at 105 the best I could do was 1k off.For as hot as it is now the lease rates are TERRIBLE (48% resid after 3 )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An early GEN 1 or 2 yes the 3s-4s forget it .Buhler has a 1 owner 03(15k ) on the floor now The orig owner paid low 80s for iam fairly certain mid 30s will buy the car all day long.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my Gen 2 I bought it new (Buhler )in 96 for 64k In 2008 I sold it to a buddy of mine who happened to be the pres of the Viper Club of America for around 35 In 96 there was noting remotely out there that could touch a GEN 2 for 64k Todays a dirrerent ballgame many many cars to chose from( .Next year for ezample that Z06 hits at 600 plus hp and 3000 lbs )

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cars aren't investments...even at the exotic car level, they depreciate. Even Ferrari's depreciate now and they never used to. They are rich mens' toys.

There are exceptions and the Ford GT is a great example. I remember a few years back u could get a really nice one for a buck and a half. Now most listings are over 200k as they have skyrocketed in value since they no longer make them.

I'll bet if you put a sesto elemento in a vault for two decades, the value will greatly appreciate but its not street legal and cars weren't meant to sit in vaults. They were meant to be driven and enjoyed. If you wanna look at it, buy a poster. And if you wanna make an investment, there's a lot easier ways to do it.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An early GEN 1 or 2 yes the 3s-4s forget it .Buhler has a 1 owner 03(15k ) on the floor now The orig owner paid low 80s for iam fairly certain mid 30s will buy the car all day long.

Hey... so find me a nice 2010 ACR with clean history for under $60k or even a regualr coupe under $50k. I see 06's on the verge of being 8 model years old still selling mid 50's to $60k

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey... so find me a nice 2010 ACR with clean history for under $60k or even a regualr coupe under $50k. I see 06's on the verge of being 8 model years old still selling mid 50's to $60k
6 Months ago a buddy of mine paid 58 k low mile 08 coupe stripes .(Grap a Manhielm report wholeseale a nice 08 coupe is mid 50s right now) _You got to remember a lot of GEN 4 out there were sold under the coupon fiasco in 0f low 60s titled with o miles The last time I checked Galves on an 06 coupe(high galves =top line car is 40k approx. )When I buy or locate a car for someone Galves is a fantastic reference point because its published bi monthly and is true wholesale .Find out true wholesale and neg from there.Last week I bought a nice 08 Shelby gt500 (4k miles almost new )Galves was 30k considering the mileage I got the car to my friend for 33500 which I though was fair

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cars aren't investments...even at the exotic car level, they depreciate. Even Ferrari's depreciate now and they never used to. They are rich mens' toys.

There are exceptions and the Ford GT is a great example. I remember a few years back u could get a really nice one for a buck and a half. Now most listings are over 200k as they have skyrocketed in value since they no longer make them.

I'll bet if you put a sesto elemento in a vault for two decades, the value will greatly appreciate but its not street legal and cars weren't meant to sit in vaults. They were meant to be driven and enjoyed. If you wanna look at it, buy a poster. And if you wanna make an investment, there's a lot easier ways to do it.
If I had the money the best bang for the buck is the FGT (the guys at Muscle mustang and fast ford and I talk about this all day )If you can live with a white or red one all day long I can buy them in the low-mid 130s and they all rock steady (unless the cars beat you wil never find a FGT UNDER 125 APPROX.) Another great value are the Ferrarri 430 .Iam seeing NICE LOW MILEAGE ones come thru the auction 125s and again the depreciation out of them .(275k car a FEW YEARS AGO )Fom what iam told upkeep is not that bad on them (the 360,355 were a fortune to maintain )

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I shopped the F430 against the Gallardo & the latter won. All of the F1's in the F cars are starting to go. U cant own them without a warranty. huge $$ pit potential. Plus the 458 makes 'em look dated.

On the other hand I only had ONE factory warranty service on the Lamborghini in 3.5 years of ownership. Definitely buying that brand again.

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My good friend and 18 year multiple viper owner surprised us on a Viper outing, brought a Red/Wht FGT. He had enough luggage space for a T shirt and tooth brush under the hood! Was a little faster than my 2000 RT10 but while running with 4 Vipers he was asked Not once but twice that weekend.....is that a kit car? 200K no thanks not for me.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah for 200k you could get a nice McLaren MP4-12C or a brand new Gallardo or a brand new SLS Gullwing all with full original factory warranty. Again, the money pit consideration is always a wise consideration. spend almost 1/4 mill on an 8 year old car...i'll pass too.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not thinking animals; we are feeling animals that also think. Decisions are usually made intuitively and then defended rationally. All my senses respond positively to the Viper, therefore, I've come up with a whole lot of reasons why I have to have one!:headbang:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
totally agree. one of the most exciting new supercars out right now imo. Hoping they build mine this June.....

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2003 I was fortunate enough to be one of the first civilians to drive the Ford GT prototype at Englishtown NJ during some testing Evan Smith was doing on the car John Colettti and I talked for hours about exactly WHAT A BUYER WANTS AND EXPECTS in a 100k plus car .Absolute performance is but a SMALL SINGLE FACTOR (As i pointed out previously the GEN 4 destroyed everything on the track but sold terribly) .In building the FGT Coletti had Ford buy numerious Ferarri 360 to reverse engineer giving as many technological features as he could within budget because FEATURES SELL CARS He Coletti wanted a single platform na motor NIXED BECAUSE OF BUDGET .He Coletti wanted a weight under 3000 lbs NIXED BECAUSE OF BUDGET.

It would be convenient from a sales and advertising perspective to know what a person wants based solely on the car's sale price, but there's a lot more to it. The type of vehicle matters too - you can spend over $100K on a 7 series BMW - don't you think someone buying that 7 series has different expectations than someone looking for a Viper or similar performance vehicle?

Features sell cars that need to be sold. Exclusive, expensive, limited availability cars like the Viper tend to sell themselves. Now when your competition is a sea of dreary family sedans, SUVs and minivans - the only real way to differentiate your product is with features (many arguably unnecessary)...but with something like the Viper the decision process is essentially binary. If they have the money and want it, they'll get it. If they don't want it or don't have the money, no sale.

I'm purchasing my Gen 5 sight unseen, purely based on my love for high performance vehicles and its great styling. I made my decision to get one based on nothing more than a picture I saw in a news report. I knew that the Viper would have class-dominating performance and the new styling is excellent, as well as its finish. Not once did I think to myself "I'm not going to bother with the Viper if it doesn't include at least 5 cup holders, a golden ass warmer, all wheel drive and variable valve timing".

Your profiling would have excluded me as a potential buyer, and when your pool of buyers is in the low thousands, every single one counts...so if sales are your goal then keep an open mind and accept that what's important to you isn't necessarily the same motivating factor for someone else.

We are not thinking animals; we are feeling animals that also think. Decisions are usually made intuitively and then defended rationally. All my senses respond positively to the Viper, therefore, I've come up with a whole lot of reasons why I have to have one!:headbang:

Pretty much this. I don't feel a compulsion to defend my decision to buy an expensive car that I don't need - in fact that's actually why I'm getting a Viper. I don't need it; I want it and I can afford it so might as well have some fun!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be convenient from a sales and advertising perspective to know what a person wants based solely on the car's sale price, but there's a lot more to it. The type of vehicle matters too - you can spend over $100K on a 7 series BMW - don't you think someone buying that 7 series has different expectations than someone looking for a Viper or similar performance vehicle?

Features sell cars that need to be sold. Exclusive, expensive, limited availability cars like the Viper tend to sell themselves. Now when your competition is a sea of dreary family sedans, SUVs and minivans - the only real way to differentiate your product is with features (many arguably unnecessary)...but with something like the Viper the decision process is essentially binary. If they have the money and want it, they'll get it. If they don't want it or don't have the money, no sale.

I'm purchasing my Gen 5 sight unseen, purely based on my love for high performance vehicles and its great styling. I made my decision to get one based on nothing more than a picture I saw in a news report. I knew that the Viper would have class-dominating performance and the new styling is excellent, as well as its finish. Not once did I think to myself "I'm not going to bother with the Viper if it doesn't include at least 5 cup holders, a golden ass warmer, all wheel drive and variable valve timing".

Your profiling would have excluded me as a potential buyer, and when your pool of buyers is in the low thousands, every single one counts...so if sales are your goal then keep an open mind and accept that what's important to you isn't necessarily the same motivating factor for someone else.

Pretty much this. I don't feel a compulsion to defend my decision to buy an expensive car that I don't need - in fact that's actually why I'm getting a Viper. I don't need it; I want it and I can afford it so might as well have some fun!

Amen brother, well stated. Nailed it. Your honor, the defense rests.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll post a given and be willing to make a bet. And that is that 1Badgts cannot come into a thread without mentioning Evan Smith. And the other thing is that he is going to brag about being there or knowing someone who was helping to build such and such car.

What makes the Gen V worth the asking price? Well the fact that you are getting world class performance and an incredible interior. What more could you ask for? Evan Smith's endorsement?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll post a given and be willing to make a bet. And that is that 1Badgts cannot come into a thread without mentioning Evan Smith. And the other thing is that he is going to brag about being there or knowing someone who was helping to build such and such car.

What makes the Gen V worth the asking price? Well the fact that you are getting world class performance and an incredible interior. What more could you ask for? Evan Smith's endorsement?

Actually, incorrect. What makes it worth the price is (apparently) people are willing to pay for it. Economically, cost has nothing to do with price, price is only a function of what the market will pay!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanna see pics of 1BADGTS' garage.............

It doesn't matter. He KNOWS people with cool cars, therefore he also owns cool cars by proxy. We should congratulate him on his recent used 2008 Mustang purchase that he mentioned above. I know I'm jealous!

This guy has been trolling the site for years, adds zero value, and just loves telling all of us about who he knows. I actually know a few of the guys he mentions, and they don't even know who he is.

1BADGTS, who are you? Got a name we can look up to see all your automotive industry influence?