What might this '08 be worth?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
73k is cheap thats 20k under a new one ,viper owners that want to sell need to keep a certain price and not go down so much and keep the value up,its zr1 performance half the cost.the viper needs to keep its value its an amazing car .thats why im on my 5th one

I agree - it's a perfectly fair price. It's just that the marketplace is really unfair right now. I think that's a short-term situation, though - a year from now prices will be right back up again. A lot of the regulars on this board are a bit jaded (and spoiled) as far as what's a good price, but there are other buyers out there who aren't expecting to get a $95k car, virtually new, for $55k...

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree - it's a perfectly fair price. It's just that the marketplace is really unfair right now. I think that's a short-term situation, though - a year from now prices will be right back up again. A lot of the regulars on this board are a bit jaded (and spoiled) as far as what's a good price, but there are other buyers out there who aren't expecting to get a $95k car, virtually new, for $55k...

I agree:D..Its good ole Dodges fault though for setting up their fire sale pricing and killing the value on ALL Vipers.:mad:

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was talking to the owner of a speciality Corvette used car dealership yesterday, and he mentioned that an as-new '08 Viper (not sure if coupe or vert or color) crossed the line at Manheim and sold for $58k. Can anyone confirm or deny that price?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last month i sold my 08 Venom Red Roadster for 57000.00 The car was like NEW with only 1800 miles.I tried for almost 6 months to sell it (advertising it everywhere).Finally Darren Buhler was kind enough to put it on E-Bay for me.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking to the owner of a speciality Corvette used car dealership yesterday, and he mentioned that an as-new '08 Viper (not sure if coupe or vert or color) crossed the line at Manheim and sold for $58k. Can anyone confirm or deny that price?
The above happens all the time.I have seen them go for even LOWER at the auctions.Get the Mahheim report all the sales should be listed there for the past few months.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree:D..Its good ole Dodges fault though for setting up their fire sale pricing and killing the value on ALL Vipers.:mad:
Thats exactly what happened.In January the 30 grand off employee certificate totally screwed up the market .Even though TECHNICALLY they were for Chrysler employees (and that employee was not supposed to sell the car for 6 months )MANY a cash strapped dealer said the hell with the rules.The next thing you know used 08 Vipers (10 miles on them )are hitting the marketplace for low 60s.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First of all, I very much appreciate all of the information, PM's ,etc... that this thread has given me as I head down this path. Thanks to everyone for that!

I do have a few more comments / questions though. I gave the car a more thorough look today and haven't found anything major to kill the deal just yet. We've gotten the price to a point I feel a little more comfortable with which definitely helps. A closer look revealed a paint chip here and there, but nothing inconsistent with a 13K mile car. I pulled up the rear hatch mat per the advice of a reputable VCA member and all looks clean and untouched underneath. The air compressor is still present (which the dealer reported not always being the case with some Z06's they've seen come in). And I know this isn't the best way to judge a car, but the CARFAX report only shows one original owner with factory service records at regular intervals over the course of the 13K miles. And the last 3 digits of the VIN seem to exclude it from likely being an SRT test car or anything of that sort. Bottom line: the story from the dealer seems to be continually matching the information that I am gathering.

However, when I look at the black stripes it appears to me that they look like vinyl as opposed to paint. Is this possible with a SSG car? I can't understand why a one-owner, LEASED car would have aftermarket vinyl stripes? Stranger things have happened I am certain, but they sure don't "look" aftermarket to me. When I see other '08 striped cars, the $3000 stripe option refers to "painted" factory stripes. I don't have access to the original window sticker, but will the door paint code (or something else) give insight so that I could be sure. Likewise, is there any way to access or reproduce the original window sticker?

And finally in response to the last few posts, around here the lowest I've seen an '09 list for is, $77,000 with E.P. and low rate financing offers. The numbers you guys have reported may very well be true though...I just don't keep up on the auction sales like some others. My opinion: Anyone who is obtaining a good condition '08 SRT-10 in ANY color for mid to upper 50's is getting an exceptional deal! I expect values to come back up when you can no longer get a new '09 in the 70's!

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last month i sold my 08 Venom Red Roadster for 57000.00 The car was like NEW with only 1800 miles.I tried for almost 6 months to sell it (advertising it everywhere).Finally Darren Buhler was kind enough to put it on E-Bay for me.
you gave that car away:(

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can give the vin # to any dodge dealership and they can tell you if it came with stripes from the factory.

Custom Builder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who is obtaining a good condition '08 SRT-10 in ANY color for mid to upper 50's is getting an exceptional deal! I expect values to come back up when you can no longer get a new '09 in the 70's!

If you think used Vipers, as well as most all other used car prices, are going to do anything but continue to fall off of a cliff for another year you are living a dream. There are people in this very thread reporting to have sold 1K mile Gen IV Vipers in the mid 50k range. Dodge was giving 30K off, you can thank them for killing the resale. By far the best car around for mid 50K though.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you gave that car away:(
Believe me i didnt want to but i tried every avenue to move it for months without a buyer.The Chrysler employee coupon in Jan sealed it for me .I had numerious calls same topic.Why should i pay you low 60s when i can go to so and so dealer and get the same car with 15 miles for slightly less money.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think used Vipers, as well as most all other used car prices, are going to do anything but continue to fall off of a cliff for another year you are living a dream. There are people in this very thread reporting to have sold 1K mile Gen IV Vipers in the mid 50k range. Dodge was giving 30K off, you can thank them for killing the resale. By far the best car around for mid 50K though.
So true.I still can not believe Dodge did not realise alot of cash strapped dealers would simply flip the cars before 6 months.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
73k is cheap thats 20k under a new one ,viper owners that want to sell need to keep a certain price and not go down so much and keep the value up,its zr1 performance half the cost.the viper needs to keep its value its an amazing car .thats why im on my 5th one

Sorry but 73k is not cheap when there is one listed in the classifieds with 1k less miles for 8 grand less and thats before bargining...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no way that $73K is cheap. I can spew of a list of cars that have just sold for a lot less but I can't or else it is a violation. I will just say that they were not SSG but I do not think SSG commands a $10K or $15K premium over cars in regular colors (red, black, orange) with A LOT Less miles (1000ish)!

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2008 SSG w/ black stripes with navigation, 5-spoke wheels, good paint and interior with 13,*** miles. It was turned in from a lease apparently, but who ever had it sure put some miles on it in a year. It doesn't need to be exact, but I'm a GTS guy so looking for a ballpark value from the SRT-10 crowd. Thanks in advance!

All I can say is, regardless of your purchase price- if it is maintenanced, it is hard to kill this motor! Also, go over it completely for any repairs, etc. Used ones are listing on ebay for about 69-72k, but with lower miles. How anyone could worry about 13k miles on a car built like a tank is beyond me, but to each their own. I love my 08 GTS blue, bought it with 5300 on it, but already have nearly 7 - it is a DAILY DREIVER, so figure out mileage on that one. This car WILL see 100k I'm happy to say.:drive::drive::drive:

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I very much appreciate all of the information, PM's ,etc... that this thread has given me as I head down this path. Thanks to everyone for that!

I do have a few more comments / questions though. I gave the car a more thorough look today and haven't found anything major to kill the deal just yet. We've gotten the price to a point I feel a little more comfortable with which definitely helps. A closer look revealed a paint chip here and there, but nothing inconsistent with a 13K mile car. I pulled up the rear hatch mat per the advice of a reputable VCA member and all looks clean and untouched underneath. The air compressor is still present (which the dealer reported not always being the case with some Z06's they've seen come in). And I know this isn't the best way to judge a car, but the CARFAX report only shows one original owner with factory service records at regular intervals over the course of the 13K miles. And the last 3 digits of the VIN seem to exclude it from likely being an SRT test car or anything of that sort. Bottom line: the story from the dealer seems to be continually matching the information that I am gathering.

However, when I look at the black stripes it appears to me that they look like vinyl as opposed to paint. Is this possible with a SSG car? I can't understand why a one-owner, LEASED car would have aftermarket vinyl stripes? Stranger things have happened I am certain, but they sure don't "look" aftermarket to me. When I see other '08 striped cars, the $3000 stripe option refers to "painted" factory stripes. I don't have access to the original window sticker, but will the door paint code (or something else) give insight so that I could be sure. Likewise, is there any way to access or reproduce the original window sticker?

And finally in response to the last few posts, around here the lowest I've seen an '09 list for is, $77,000 with E.P. and low rate financing offers. The numbers you guys have reported may very well be true though...I just don't keep up on the auction sales like some others. My opinion: Anyone who is obtaining a good condition '08 SRT-10 in ANY color for mid to upper 50's is getting an exceptional deal! I expect values to come back up when you can no longer get a new '09 in the 70's!

as to the stripes - they paint them on after the fact, and do not wet sand to bring the level down before clear coating the whole deal- they do almost look like vinyl in that they are raised, particularly the black ones, as are mine. However, they really are paint! You however (as another post states) find out from a Dodge dealer by vin # as to the actual options on viper- will say if stripes were option.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
as to the stripes - they paint them on after the fact, and do not wet sand to bring the level down before clear coating the whole deal- they do almost look like vinyl in that they are raised, particularly the black ones, as are mine. However, they really are paint! You however (as another post states) find out from a Dodge dealer by vin # as to the actual options on viper- will say if stripes were option.

This is just the information that I needed to know! The stripes appear EXACTLY as you described, but I will be checking with Dodge tomorrow just to be certain. Can (or will) Dodge provide a copy of the original window sticker upon request?

Anyway, I'll know more tomorrow if this deal is going to be a go or not. I've been trying to distract myself today by detailing my '97 GTS, but I'm not sure it's helping the anticipation any. :) Thanks again everyone!

J ACR2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jackie jones dodge, hayesville n.c. has a 08 convert ssg 70k ithink it is new 93k list ask for ken stephens [my nephew]

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the deal has been negotiated and the SSG SRT-10 came home with me last night!!!! I'll post more photos later....just had to share my excitement! What an awesome car!!!

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats bud enjoy in good health,you got the best color imo.have fun with the car it looks even better when the sun hits it.

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my ssg--I beleive I stole it, but would have paid whatever I had to to get the car---you want to talk about a head turner!--people break there necks turning to look.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How well did you do if you did not mind me asking?

I don't want to give exact numbers here and I don't know that I did all that "well", but "more than 60 and less than 70" to answer your question. The more I look at it though, the more it appears to be in near mint condition with very minimal wear and tear. I don't know that I "stole it" at the price I paid, but I'm happy with how things turned out. It's an extremely eye catching car!

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2008 SSG w/ black stripes with navigation, 5-spoke wheels, good paint and interior with 13,*** miles. It was turned in from a lease apparently, but who ever had it sure put some miles on it in a year. It doesn't need to be exact, but I'm a GTS guy so looking for a ballpark value from the SRT-10 crowd. Thanks in advance!

I'd bet around 65K???

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope, I didn't pay asking price and yes it is a wonderful addition to the garage...even my wife thinks so (which is good for EVERYONE!) I couldn't get it to 65 but the final price was in the mid to upper 60s. Not sure if that was a good deal or not, but the car is immaculate for 13K miles so I am happy regardless. Thanks again to everyone who helped as I navigated through the process. I'm loving it thus far!