what Mods would you put on for $5000

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries, you can run in the 10's at over 130 mph with your r/t for about the 5 grand you are looking to spend with a few simple bolt ons from btrviper.com

Example:

BTR Full Exhaust $ 3795 On Sale Thru Nov from $ 4490
BTR Nitrous Oxide $ 1995
$ 5790 Total Investment

It is simple math. The exhaust will net you at least 50 rwhp and the nitrous will net you 175 rwhp for at total of 225 RWHP.

5790 divided by 225 equals $ 25 bucks per horsepower gained. You can't get any faster for less, period.

Not to mention, you won't encounter ANY C-5 Vettes that will run those times without MAJOR modifications(as i own a
C-5 vette along with my viper and a monumental task awaits me to run as fast as my viper AT ANY PRICE)

Good luck in your search,

tom
btrviper.com

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
... The exhaust will net you at least 50 rwhp...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom,

What kind of performance increase are we talking about at the track--0-60 and 1/4 mile with a 50 rwhp increase?

I'm running a stock 99 GTS.

Thanks,

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh oh, Viper00RT, now you did it! - Mention "street racing" in this forum and chances are you will get a severe scolding
You must be registered for see images
Just kidding, street racing is stupid, but .......- the politically correct description to effect the same intent would be "I'd like to maximize my 1/4 mile potential on street tires, while still retaining the streetability and driveability of the car."

As a follow up to Jon B., Tom and others, is there a drawback to getting headers while still having the stock exhaust? I'm at the point where I can probably shell out for one or the other, and headers seem to add considerably more power than an exhaust system, which by some accounts, merely changes the tone of the car. Thanks.

Reaction score
The best place to spend your first $5000.00 is with Skip Barber and Skip Thomas's "Viper Days" Order a new Viper and when you receive the order# call VCA headquarters and tell them you want to take a Skip Barber Performance Driving school and that will get you 25% off the 2 day school. All other more advanced activities are discounted 10% to VCA members. To many new Vipers do Not make the drive home from the dealership! The massive torque has surprised many owners including me. On the track you can improve you lap times by mucho seconds by learning how to drive in a performance. I have witnessed a great driver in a stock gts run as fast as a highly modified (~600hp) Viper. The best buy for HP is K&N filters, = 10-15hp

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackSnake:

What kind of performance increase are we talking about at the track--0-60 and 1/4 mile with a 50 rwhp increase?

I'm running a stock 99 GTS.

Thanks,

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BlackSnake,
I hate to say it but it depends on your driving ability and track conditions. As you increase power, you will need to use more finesse in launching your car with stock tires to achieve a gain in 60' times. Once you master that you will see approx .5 second faster e.t with average 60' times in the 1.7-1.8 range.

The biggest gain will come in your trap speed. My car and most of my customers have realized actual gains in excess of 5 mph in the 1/4 mile. My own car used to average 118 mph with a best of 120 and now averages 123 with a best of 125.

It is all about getting the power to the ground at the start of the race. To add more power to the existing combination can actually result in slower e.t's with bad track conditions and/or inexperienced drivers.

thanks

tom

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend the money on something you can keep for ever, a high performance driving school!

Many cars with less horsepower, even running bone stock, can keep up with high HP cars. That is as long as the driver has the skill to do so. Stock can be just as enjoyable. If is defiantly the easiest way to go.

Do you homework. Talk to people who have done what you would like to do. This is the best way to make the most educated purchase.

Happy shopping!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets