What muffler is good for adding HP/Tq?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now, I have no cats and no muffler along with Borla headers. At times, on decel, it really is too loud with all the popping and backfiring. Can I pick up any HP/Tq by ADDING a muffler compared to being muffler-less now? If so, what would be a good muffler choice to pick up some HP and/or Tq but still keep a "mean" sound to the car?

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how much HP you can pick up by putting a little more restriction in the system, but the TQ should increase for sure. I heard the Moroso Spiral Flows are a good choice...I have the Dynomax Bullets and they are way too loud with out the cats...a little more manageable with HF cats, but not much.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll never pick up HP with less flow, but you can pick up torque. In my opinion, getting high flow cats would dampen the popping and noise. The longer the cat, the quieter, so Random tech is probably quieter than Roe. Taking the cat out of my stealth is what made it pop. Im personally going with a complete Roe setup soon, but I'm sidepipes.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Bellanger headers, Roe cats and Dynomax mufflers. It still pops on deceleration but it's not too loud for me.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know how much HP you can pick up by putting a little more restriction in the system, but the TQ should increase for sure. I heard the Moroso Spiral Flows are a good choice...I have the Dynomax Bullets and they are way too loud with out the cats...a little more manageable with HF cats, but not much.

I'd recogmend the same. I'm going to pull out the rear mufflers I have now and install the Moroso Spiral flows.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad--we also get the 'popping' on decel, and actually LOVE the sound....we have high-flow cats though too, plus B&B stepped headers, Corsa Track exhaust...all VERY BEASTLY sounding!~! Took it out last night, and the popping sounded awesome!!! (doesn't sound like backfiring) Good Luck in what you choose....~juli~

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The popping you guys are referring to is known as afterfiring not backfiring. Just semantics but I'd thought I'd throw that out there as they are in fact different occurances.

And the statement about HP/TQ with back pressure is slightly untrue....HP is calculated from TQ so if TQ goes up so will HP at that given RPM. Now you were most likely referring to peak numbers so in that case you are most likely correct, the peak HP will not go up by adding backpressure to the system. That said Vipers are not peak HP type of cars, it's the HUGE area under the curve that makes these beasts so fun to drive. ;)

So I wouldn't worry about adding some HF cats to your car to help quiet it down. You will probably like the benefits all around.

OK enough ranting, time to go for a drive!

Rob

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Right now, I have no cats and no muffler along with Borla headers. At times, on decel, it really is too loud with all the popping and backfiring. Can I pick up any HP/Tq by ADDING a muffler compared to being muffler-less now? If so, what would be a good muffler choice to pick up some HP and/or Tq but still keep a "mean" sound to the car?

Wus, perhaps its time to buy a corvette :lmao::rolaugh::D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The popping you guys are referring to is known as afterfiring not backfiring. Just semantics but I'd thought I'd throw that out there as they are in fact different occurances.

And the statement about HP/TQ with back pressure is slightly untrue....HP is calculated from TQ so if TQ goes up so will HP at that given RPM. Now you were most likely referring to peak numbers so in that case you are most likely correct, the peak HP will not go up by adding backpressure to the system. That said Vipers are not peak HP type of cars, it's the HUGE area under the curve that makes these beasts so fun to drive. ;)

So I wouldn't worry about adding some HF cats to your car to help quiet it down. You will probably like the benefits all around.

Agree 100%.

I'll add that depending on engine design some exhaust back pressure could result in a power benefit. If the fuel moves through the chamber too quickly it is possible to have a loss in chamber pressure, not to mention a huge waste of unspent fuel, but it all depends on the total design. For example, Top Fuel drag pipes would kill power on a stock motor.

Regardless, I've heard your Viper Chad and I think it would sound much better with some mufflers.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the cat and dam near the hole stock system installed balanger headers and bought a 3" muffler from Stainless steel works ( you can find in Summit ).

I installed the mufflers in the side sills. I have almost no drone great idle rumble a small amount of poppind on decell and great sound at WOT.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put my cats back on after my ROE install. Much better than cat-less. Chad, go with the hi flow cats!!! Trust me.....