What oil in gen 1

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At work and I am about to order a filter and oil for the car and cant rememeber what oil to get for it. Could someone help me out? I did a search and came up with nothin. Thanks

dan87951

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a simply search on fram on the internet and you will get lots of sites regarding there bad quality control and build quality. I don't even use frams on my DD.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chrysler recommends Mobile 1 10-30w and it's the 1st car to come from the factory with synthetic oil.

Only 2 companies make REAL Synthetic oil are Mobile 1 and amsoil!
due to a US law suit against Cstrol Oil all companies are allowed to advertise the new Group 3 oils as Synthetic. basically the court decided that since the Group 3 oils( oils that undergo an extra refining process) since they perform about the same as synthetics.

Ted

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BZZZT!! Several chemical companies, including a division of ExxonMobil, make PAO, esters, etc, which are different types of synthetics used in engine oils. Many of these producers don't have a branded product (such as Henkel), so the consumer has not heard of them.

In fact, AMSOIL is not a producer, only a purchaser and marketer of finished synthetic oils.

The marketing divisions of those companies may or may not use "original" synthetics, and to make in confusing, some marketing companies do both; use PAO based and Group III based materials. It is near impossible to analyze a single sample of an oil and tell which base oil is used.

Mobil and Castrol challenged each other in front of the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau, a self-regulating system between companies that have national advertising. No money is ever exchanged; if the two parties cannot come to an agreement with this mediation system, only then is the matter referred to the FTC or court system.

The fact that Mobil, a manufacturer of synthetically derived chemicals, could not differentiate their fluids from hydrotreated mineral oils when they had so much at stake, should be a strong signal that there really isn't a difference - except in cost. Group III base oil is roughly 2/3 the cost. If there is one "sin" it is that marketers using Group III don't pass on the savings to the consumer.

Reaction score
NAPA Gold..

I had a total engine rebuild under warranty by Arrow Racing Engines. Since then it consistently has from 70-80 P.S.I. oil pressure.

I worried at first about exploding oil filters but it's been 4 years now and I've had no problems.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BZZZT!! Several chemical companies, including a division of ExxonMobil, make PAO, esters, etc, which are different types of synthetics used in engine oils. Many of these producers don't have a branded product (such as Henkel), so the consumer has not heard of them.

In fact, AMSOIL is not a producer, only a purchaser and marketer of finished synthetic oils.

The marketing divisions of those companies may or may not use "original" synthetics, and to make in confusing, some marketing companies do both; use PAO based and Group III based materials. It is near impossible to analyze a single sample of an oil and tell which base oil is used.

Mobil and Castrol challenged each other in front of the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau, a self-regulating system between companies that have national advertising. No money is ever exchanged; if the two parties cannot come to an agreement with this mediation system, only then is the matter referred to the FTC or court system.

The fact that Mobil, a manufacturer of synthetically derived chemicals, could not differentiate their fluids from hydrotreated mineral oils when they had so much at stake, should be a strong signal that there really isn't a difference - except in cost. Group III base oil is roughly 2/3 the cost. If there is one "sin" it is that marketers using Group III don't pass on the savings to the consumer.

I'm not going to thrust and pary with Tom on oil formulation (plus I'm traveling and not plugged in all the time), but the Amsoil comment above is somewhat misleading

Amsoil does not purchase finished product from another mfg and just label / sell them as AMSOIL They purchase base oils from many different sources. AMSOIL is a blender, which means that they utilize many different synthetic base oil types and viscosities and blend them with quality additives for use in specific types of applications (motor oil gear oil etc). Is Caterpillar a mfg? They get their hydraulic system from another company, the tires from another company etc., yet when they build the equipment their finished product is mfg'ed by Caterpillar. Mobil makes their own base oils and some of their own additives, but they also purchase some additives from other companies but that does not make them any less of a mfg.

I'm told AMSOIL just purchased a 375,000 sq ft new blending plant which will be in production in January 08. It is 4 times larger than the old plant. It will be one of the most modern blending plants in the world. Maybe you could get a tour Tom? :)

Steve

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is near impossible to analyze a single sample of an oil and tell which base oil is used.

For some reason I envision Tom pouring it into a glass.. holding the glass up to a light, looking to see if the oil is couldy or clear, taking a whiff of the aroma, swirling it around observing the legs running down the side of the glass, take a swig and swish it around, breathing through your teeth to inhale the aroma, tasting the mixture and swishing the oil through your teeth determining viscosity..

Just kidding.. always enjoy reading the oil stuff. :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This is absolutely correct. Since the "judgment" almost every American lubricant company has moved to Group III for engine oils and ATFs. ( exceptions being Mobil, and small players like Amsoil). Most gear oils remain "traditional" PAO and/or Diester. We don't have access to high enough Group III to make the higher gear oil viscosity grades. That is also why some companies may use Group III in some engine oil grades, but PAO, etc. in others. I don't know that this current situation "confuses" the typical consumer, as they know diddly squat about engine oils. The fact remains that Group III performance, in engine oils, is as good, or better, than "traditional" synthetics and I guess that's the question at hand.

-from my expert.

Ted

viperpilot99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought k&n oil filter. When they tested all the filters and yes fram being junk and the OEM supplier for Mopar was fram and the test showing that. Mobile one and k&n were one of the top pics.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not going to thrust and pary with Tom on oil formulation (plus I'm traveling and not plugged in all the time), but the Amsoil comment above is somewhat misleading

Amsoil does not purchase finished product from another mfg and just label / sell them as AMSOIL They purchase base oils from many different sources. AMSOIL is a blender, which means that they utilize many different synthetic base oil types and viscosities and blend them with quality additives for use in specific types of applications (motor oil gear oil etc). Is Caterpillar a mfg? They get their hydraulic system from another company, the tires from another company etc., yet when they build the equipment their finished product is mfg'ed by Caterpillar. Mobil makes their own base oils and some of their own additives, but they also purchase some additives from other companies but that does not make them any less of a mfg.

I'm told AMSOIL just purchased a 375,000 sq ft new blending plant which will be in production in January 08. It is 4 times larger than the old plant. It will be one of the most modern blending plants in the world. Maybe you could get a tour Tom? :)

Steve

I'm sorry, I see that how I said it can be taken two ways.

Steve, is correct. I meant to say that Amsoil is a purchaser of the many components that go into an oil, they blend it to their specifications, and then market it under their brand. That there are few synthetic base oil producers was what I was trying to convey.

My bad for hurrying the answer.

Thanks, Steve, I actually thought about the tech director position they had open for a while, but it sounds too cold there.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is absolutely correct. Since the "judgment" almost every American lubricant company has moved to Group III for engine oils and ATFs. ( exceptions being Mobil, and small players like Amsoil). Most gear oils remain "traditional" PAO and/or Diester. We don't have access to high enough Group III to make the higher gear oil viscosity grades. That is also why some companies may use Group III in some engine oil grades, but PAO, etc. in others. I don't know that this current situation "confuses" the typical consumer, as they know diddly squat about engine oils. The fact remains that Group III performance, in engine oils, is as good, or better, than "traditional" synthetics and I guess that's the question at hand.

-from my expert.

Ted

It is not just American lubricant companies. SK in Korea has one of the worlds largest Group III base oil plants. BP in Europe has Group III.

We should take the lead from Europe - they emphasize "synthetic" far less and the performance specs far more. You can buy a range of performance levels (good, better, best) oil while here in the US the OEMs basically push the one new API category.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perhaps you guys (being more in the know than I) could post a thread about the SAE ratings and inform the members about the advantages of the new SL & SM blends? Also the disadvantages of the these new formulated oils for out Classic cars now that they've taken out so much of the XP additives?

I'd like to write an article for publication in Hot rot magazines, but it seems that I need some help.

I looked though Walmart a while ago and couldn't find any SG oil for my 440 Duster (no roller cam). Although the "big 3" say the new oil supercedes ALL others, Caterpillar and Cummins don't agree, I understand.

Ted

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve, I actually thought about the tech direc tor position they had open for a while, but it sounds too cold there.

It's definitely cold there, and a fair amount of lake effect snow. We are on the same parallel...250 miles east. Had you decided to pursue the position, I'm sure your knowledge, expertise, and experience would have been a valuable asset.

Steve