What people thought the FIRST time you drove by in the Viper...

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time you guys drove through town...
Tell me what it felt like at the wheel of your snake... Where kids pointing and wives smiling?
Please share your fist reptilian driving experience!!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy $hit, the guys on the forum weren't kidding. This car really does get as many or more looks than they said. Driving a spaceship, on fire, is an understatement. Had three seperate strangers take picures of themselves next to the car on the first day, not to mention all the photos, stares, thumbs-up, near crashes, etc on the highway, driving back from DLM.

Unbelievable experience. I don't think I have ever driven the car where people didn't "communicate" with myself and the car. The undisputed champion, pound for pound, of curb appeal. It would take a quarter million dollars plus to stand a chance against a Viper (especially a yellow one :laugh: ).

Chad

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! Simply awesome...
Wait please expand on the "near crashes"..
Was it people stairing too much or what?

Greg

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No change from people in 5 years and 93,000+ miles. Just last night Bonefish restaurant folks were taking pics and telling me what an awesome car my RT/10 was. The waiter talked to me about the Viper for 15 minutes before he took my order.

My own exuberance has become manageable over the years, but I’ll never forget the surreal feeling I had the day I bought it and drove it from Detroit to Tampa.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same after 2 years of ownership. People flip out everytime I fire up the beast and take her for a cruise on the weekends. The feeling never gets old. I love it!!! :headbang:

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a '94.

There is no other 10 year old car that would get this kind of widespread non-stop attention. Anywhere. At any price. Period.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Video camera the first day from a ricer in the other lane. EVERYBODY from work coming out to look at her (president got pissed that nobody was working).

Coming back from a cruise in Shreveport Sunday an entire carload, including mom and dad, hanging out the windows of a minivan giving us the thumbs up, family of five-kids getting out at the gas station and peaking around the pump at the car. Of course I invited them over to look at her, dad asks 'who makes the Viper?'; should have seen the look on his face when I said Dodge (I don't think he believed me). I have never taken her out and not come back with a fond memory of how much everybody loves these cars.

Over the past 14 months of ownership everything from K cars, ricers, Mustangs, beat up trucks....everything want to run you. I just smile and wave-it's not worth the gas to show off anymore.

The ONE thing that I have yet to encounter is being flashed :( :(

Bill
(you will get more attention than a naked **** star at a Baptist convention :eek: :eek: )

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I was on a Japanese Car Festival on a road race track. I was on a invitation for taking pictures of the Viper for a Dutch car magazine. I had to drive trough all this rice and all I did hear was people shouting:
"Dodge Viper" "Viper" "Look a Viper" ....and so on.
Made my day.

Here a pic for the magazine
You must be registered for see images attach

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wild Bill:I'm suprised you haven't been flashed yet. Don't worry your time will come!!!

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pic!
I really feel like the Viper is a car that I could keep for a long while in my garage, and still impress in 20 years.
Like a GT40 of sorts.

Your stories are great guys, and I am waiting like a snake bitten ***** to get my fix!

As for flashing... Well that just sounds like a fabulous perk.. pun intended! :)

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is like a rolling carnival. I Go to a ice cream stand, walk to the window to order, look back at the car and I can't see it for all of the people gathered around it.

You will have to get used to answering questions about it, lots of questions. The nice thing is that most everyone already respects it's awsome power specs, so you don't run into much "will it outrun my car?" stuff. Just a lot of admiring questions.

When I bought this car I was looking for the most SHOCK VALUE I could purchase and a near 500 cubic inch engine coupled with massive tires, and a super **** body, you have Cindy Crawford & the Frankinstein Monster rolled into one. It appeals to kids and people of all ages, income ranges, social status, and all corporate vehicle associations. Ford, Chevy, Import, European, you name it those guys still love this car. Even people who don't know a thing about cars pay attention. They either try to ignore you or go crazy with no shame to show their approval. IT'S A BLAST EVERY TIME I DRIVE IT. it's a one car, car show.

PS. Greg, what kind of viper are you looking for ? I found a great deal on a 01 GTS, I can pass on the info...

VIPERMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone can upload a picture for me I will show you what people think of my car.
I just received a letter from the management of my buidling and it's just hilarious :)

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My own exuberance has become manageable over the years...

First quote I ever heard when driving my Viper...."hey, you know 2-Viper Chuck?..he's like the coolest guy in the world....having two vipers and all"

Made me proud to say that touching my car was almost like touching ONE of Chuck's.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many have said above, the Viper just draws attention from people of all ages. In my area the Viper is a rare comodity. But one of my major joys in owning this car is letting children sit behind the wheel. The Viper makes many children's dream come true,to listen to a child when he say's to Dad or Mom "I got to sit in a Viper" and the smile on their face is priceless.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm not prepared for the attention. Last night I went to a Biker Church south of Cincinnati. When I came out there was this 20-something blonde waiting for "the owner of this incredible car". She then began to lavish praise on the car and how great it was and how she has been awaiting the chance to see one up close, etc., etc. I don't think that a Ferrari would get that kind of attention. She couldn't believe that I would actually let her sit in it.
Most of the time the attention is fun, but it wears on me sometime.

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most thought I played for the Tampa Bay Bucs. Actually had a woman curse me out because I told her I'm a computer consultant and not a football player. 99% of the comments are positive, but you always get some kid saying that his car with the new coffee can exhaust will blow me away. I usually say, "damn, I guess you don't want to trade me for the Viper then".

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came home from work at lunch to receive the delivery of my snake, delivered from a dealer in Vegas. The sad thing was that they forgot to include the temp registration! I was so pi$$ed off I couldn't believe it. I had to go back to work (in my ****** truck), and the whole time I was fuming that I couldn't drive my dream car (military bases need at least a temp registration to get in the gate, and I didn't want to risk having a cop pull me over just because). I thought that after 7 years of dreaming, that I could wait another day. Well, I couldn't.......

I got to work, called the dealer, and they faxed me what I needed to stay legal. I remember laughing out loud as I drove home, knowing that I would shortly be driving my gorgeous beast (its not a pretty sight seeing a Marine giggle like a little girl).

Needless to say, the neighbors started talking about me from day one. The first time I opened it up on the highway, I had a truck try to race me, and every kid point at me and drool. The problem is, I still don't attract the twenty-something year old girls that I WANT to give me attention! You'll find out that more middle aged men want to relive their youth by talking to you about "when I had a GTO" or "my Charger was pretty fast". I'm with Wild Bill on the no flashes disappointment. Some day.......

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately lots of attention. The major misunderstanding I find is that people think I'm rich.

After six years of ownership, the payment book is still pretty thick.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got the car I went to the High School to surprise my good friend. Needless to say, the attention factor was HIGH. Every kid looked. I could not get out of the parking lot. That was funny.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have experienced just about everthing since owning the Vipers and it never stops. The other night my son and I took the RT/10 and the FE GTS out for a drive and ended up at the Red Robin. We parked in the parking garage and took up 3 spaces for the 2 cars. When we returned to the cars one of the mall security guards was waiting for us in his little SUV. He said "Would you guys mind following me? My boss wants to see your cars." We obliged and were greeted by half a dozen security guys who were in awe of the cars.
It never ends!

Bob K

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying my RT/10 in September 1999 when there weren't many Vipers around anywhere, the car got a lot of attention.

The first big event for me was when I drove it to work. I started at midnight then, and I purposely arrived a few minutes late. One, to get a good spot up front; two, so no one would really know until 8am.

Seeing as I worked at the GM Proving Grounds, it caused quite a stir in the morning amongst the test drivers and engineers.

People coming in were murmuring about the Viper out in the lot; people waiting to go home didn't really know the car was out there..

Better yet, a few weeks later was the Proving Grounds' Open House, so I got to drive the Viper not only inside the 4400 acres of company property causing alot of GM lover heads to turn, but also on the 4 mile banked circle track :)

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I think all of us have had all of the above at one time or another and I must say it never gets old. I actually get the biggest thrill out of the little kids, they all can relate, in fact my boys are treated like royalty from their peers. Of course I try tio accomodate with rides whenever I have few extra minutes. Viper on !!!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice to read all about the exploits from everyone outside of Detroit. It just doesn't seem the same here as everywhere else. Sure I get the looks now and then but I definitely don't feel like a rock star around here. Besides the guys at the tire shop never having to ask what kind of car this tire came off of I'm just one of the regular guys. Sometimes I just want to take this thing on a trip somewhere to see if all the stories are true.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First day, first Viper (yellow 1995 RT/10), back in early 1997:

two near crashes by spectators

a gawking state trooper swung too far right in a left hand turn at an intersection and ran a car in the adjacent lane up on a curb

bared mammaries by a lass in the passenger seat of an F150

"we're not worthy" bows from teenagers at a crosswalk...

etc

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First reaction I got was when the car was getting unloaded off the Woodhouse trailer. Couple of high schoolers stopped and got on their cell phones to call whoever and let them know.

Second reaction was the kids down the street chasing my car (15 mph) on their bikes yelling "sweet car".

First car show this year couple of high school kids kept saying "its a frickin Viper man, holy cow, its a frickin viper".

Heck, I saw a graphite/white stripe ACR in southern denver yesterday and tell my 4 year old "look, its a Viper!!". Even though I own one I forget the feeling others have seeing one for the first time. Its nice to take it out so others can yell the same thing I used to (oops, still do) yell when I see one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960