What radar director are you guys using?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Valentine One was ugly and outdated looking 10 years ago, you think they would have done something to improve its looks by now. I'm not driving a C4.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, you could always get one of these if you want something that looks different/flashy/cool ...

You must be registered for see images

http://www.rockymountainradar.com/products/rmr-c475

You must be registered for see images attach

http://dx.com/p/cool-car-model-style-multi-band-gps-radar-detector-dc-12v-113031

I'm going to stick with my "classic" looking V1. In the world of radar detectors, it's a functional, logical, and simple design. It outperforms the two above also.

Similarly, some people may think a 67 Dodge Coronet looks plain, outdated, or ugly, but I love it ... especially the R/T Hemi version.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
fwiw, as far as C4's go, there are a few I'd love to own ...

Corvette C4 Lingenfelter

Corvette C4 Callaway ZR1 TT speedster

Corvette C4 Callaway Sledgehammer

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton, regarding the 9500ix:

1) there is not an option to select & disregard traffic camera locations.

2) the unit can track up to eight simultaneous radar detections. It registers each by GPS location and exact frequency (not just band) during its AutoLearn function; pass the same frequency at the same GPS location three times and it will mark it as a known "false". So the cop that sets his trap next to a couple of existing, marked false generators (e.g. automatic doors) will be recognized as a new source and normal alerts occur.

3) AutoLearn function can be deselected, and the unit can be set up to provide a variety of display options and info (including "Expert" mode).

4) Red light camera, static speed trap, etc. database is updated via simple USB connection. As are firmware updates.

Rich

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2) the unit can track up to eight simultaneous radar detections. It registers each by GPS location and exact frequency (not just band) during its AutoLearn function; pass the same frequency at the same GPS location three times and it will mark it as a known "false". So the cop that sets his trap next to a couple of existing, marked false generators (e.g. automatic doors) will be recognized as a new source and normal alerts occur.

Rich

In practice, I wonder if this has pitfalls. I used mine daily for 60 days, but it was Nov/Dec/Jan, and that is not peak speed trap season here in KC. KC cops commonly shoot from the exact same locations over and over. What happens if I pass the same real cop three times who is at a certain location? Does the real speed trap get marked as a "known false"?

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton, regarding the 9500ix:

1) there is not an option to select & disregard traffic camera locations.

3) AutoLearn function can be deselected, and the unit can be set up to provide a variety of display options and info (including "Expert" mode).

4) Red light camera, static speed trap, etc. database is updated via simple USB connection. As are firmware updates.

Rich

Great Info

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In practice, I wonder if this has pitfalls. I used mine daily for 60 days, but it was Nov/Dec/Jan, and that is not peak speed trap season here in KC. KC cops commonly shoot from the exact same locations over and over. What happens if I pass the same real cop three times who is at a certain location? Does the real speed trap get marked as a "known false"?
Well, if you've already been alerted three times and still speed past that spot, it's kinda your own fault. :)

Anton: as others mention, pay close attention to Ka band notifications (research what's used in YOUR area)!

"In practice", though, is a very useful way to think about these detectors. The reality of the 9500ix is that you'll get a variety of bounces from any consistent radar contact, always dependent on the momentary combination of beam, terrain, and traffic. So every once in awhile you'll pick up a previously "marked" signal because you'll catch it at an adjacent (but distinct) GPS point. This is more common on multi lane freeways, I've found.

For your hot spots, like what Tattooed mentioned above, you can go ahead and manually mark them as "speed traps" on your 9500ix. And the next time you connect to the Defender database, your info gets uploaded to the mother ship. I have no idea how ****** deals with user submitted data. But the trap will now be an alert on your detector, whether the cops are there or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a reason why one shouldn't purchase a 9500 second hand? I see a few of them on eBay for 350 range. I know with the V1, it could cost up to 200 to have it updated so purchasing a new one would more beneficial.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think there are at least a couple of different genreations of 9500ix, and of course there are other 9500 models too. If you're dead set on the 9500ix, then check amazon prices. I bought mine at best buy after price matching amazon's $436 price. Best Buy is currently price matching with select online retailers.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are at least a couple of different genreations of 9500ix, and of course there are other 9500 models too. If you're dead set on the 9500ix, then check amazon prices. I bought mine at best buy after price matching amazon's $436 price. Best Buy is currently price matching with select online retailers.

Good to know!

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased a new 9500ix with the 12month live subscription. Will put it in my daily driver and see how things go. Will most likely end up getting the v1 for the viper shortly.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my V1 today. Had it shipped to the office so I could use it one my ride home. Have to say, pretty awesome little machine.

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my V1 today. Had it shipped to the office so I could use it one my ride home. Have to say, pretty awesome little machine.
Radar detectors work great in our area of texas. Lots of flat roads maean you can pick them up for miles. however, if you are going to speed, ALWAYS have a rabbit. if you are the only one on the road for a mile, the first time he turns on the radar will be when he sees you and at that point it's too late and your detector has now become a ticket notifier.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radar detectors work great in our area of texas. Lots of flat roads maean you can pick them up for miles. however, if you are going to speed, ALWAYS have a rabbit. if you are the only one on the road for a mile, the first time he turns on the radar will be when he sees you and at that point it's too late and your detector has now become a ticket notifier.

How does a sex toy help with spotting radar??

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to add that my ****** has NEVER given me Alarms as to any traffic cameras at intersections on side roads....That is hard for me to believe....I love the ****** ix.....it works GREAT for me....I don't need a fancy little picture to show me where the cop car is....I just want to know that there is a cop car near by. It may not be called omni-directional but again it has picked up cop cars in all directions in plenty of time enough to save me from getting any tickets....it don't give false alarms so when it goes off, I am on my guard....to me it is an EXCELLENT all around Radar Detector...

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to add that my ****** has NEVER given me Alarms as to any traffic cameras at intersections on side roads....That is hard for me to believe....I love the ****** ix.....it works GREAT for me....I don't need a fancy little picture to show me where the cop car is....I just want to know that there is a cop car near by. It may not be called omni-directional but again it has picked up cop cars in all directions in plenty of time enough to save me from getting any tickets....it don't give false alarms so when it goes off, I am on my guard....to me it is an EXCELLENT all around Radar Detector...

The problem though is times when a cop passes you on the highway, your radar detector is still chirping, you think you're in the clear and speed up again, then come around a corner to find another cop up ahead. The V1 tells you in the first place that there are 2 bogies, even after you pass the first cop it shows 1 in front and 1 behind.

Also, when your radar detector goes nuts, then just stops, but you see no threat anywhere. You have no idea at that point if a cop is nearby but just shut his radar down to wait for you to speed up again, or if you passed a cop going the other way that is no longer a threat anymore.

Or you come across an Audi up ahead that is driving you detector nuts, which makes you think there is a cop. With the V1 you can see the arrows point right at the Audi as you pass by showing you exactly what the false alert is.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a general FYI: you can set up the 9500ix in "expert" mode, to display simultaneously the number of radar contacts by type. e.g. 1 hit on X band and 3 on Ka.

My 9500 picked up a CHP unit so far ahead of me this morning that I almost didn't trust it; I thought I'd wandered into a blind spot monitoring zone from one of the neighboring cars. None of these units will do you any good if you ignore 'em!

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My 9500ix alerted incorrectly at most of the red light camera locations in the KC area. For example, just in my neighborhood, when driving on I35, it alerts every time you pass by the intersection of 27th and Summit (adjacent to I35).
Same problem at:
71 Hwy & 55th
71 Hwy & 59th
71 Hwy & Gregory
Bannister & I435
Bannister & 71 Hwy
I435 & Wornall

At 39th and Main, the 9500ix alerts while driving N/S on Main St. There is no RLC for N/S traffic on Main St. The RLC is only for E/W traffic on 39th St.

The above 8 locations are just the ones that I have personally confirmed and remember off the top of my head. It's very annoying when I get a half dozen false alerts for RLC every time I drive, and there's no way to filter/mark those false alerts.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a general FYI: you can set up the 9500ix in "expert" mode, to display simultaneously the number of radar contacts by type. e.g. 1 hit on X band and 3 on Ka.

My 9500 picked up a CHP unit so far ahead of me this morning that I almost didn't trust it; I thought I'd wandered into a blind spot monitoring zone from one of the neighboring cars. None of these units will do you any good if you ignore 'em!

I too am amazed at the distance the 9500ix picks up Ka band.....I'm talking miles of warning in some cases. I remember when radar detectors first started including Ka band and many struggled to get a reading at 1500 feet. On the highway, this is the only radar band I'm concerned with and the ****** kicks butt. I've tried a V1 but in populated areas the false alarms are crazy compared to the 9500ix. Maybe it's ok in very remote areas.

Big plus with the 9500ix is the lack of false alarms.

Big negative with the 9500ix is very few owners read the owners manual to fully realize what this unit can actually do.

Cheers,
George

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard the ones sold in Kansas were having some issues......The ones in Florida work great.....ha .....just kidding.....I musta got a good one off the quality control line.....ha

TE=tattooed;3154259]My 9500ix alerted incorrectly at most of the red light camera locations in the KC area. For example, just in my neighborhood, when driving on I35, it alerts every time you pass by the intersection of 27th and Summit (adjacent to I35).
Same problem at:
71 Hwy & 55th
71 Hwy & 59th
71 Hwy & Gregory
Bannister & I435
Bannister & 71 Hwy
I435 & Wornall

At 39th and Main, the 9500ix alerts while driving N/S on Main St. There is no RLC for N/S traffic on Main St. The RLC is only for E/W traffic on 39th St.

The above 8 locations are just the ones that I have personally confirmed and remember off the top of my head. It's very annoying when I get a half dozen false alerts for RLC every time I drive, and there's no way to filter/mark those false alerts.[/QUOTE]

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you come across an Audi up ahead that is driving you detector nuts, which makes you think there is a cop. With the V1 you can see the arrows point right at the Audi as you pass by showing you exactly what the false alert is.

What do you mean Audi? Do they emit radar?

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radar based cruise control (to keep you from crashing into the car in front of you) and other collision warning/tensioning systems can set off radar detectors. LED based tail lights of certain brands/years can set off laser detectors.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean Audi? Do they emit radar?

Like a horrible bastard. With a V1 it will start chirping from quite a ways back, the closer you get to the rear of the Audi, the more radars it picks up. I usually read up to 7 threats when I get right on an Audis ass. Then once you pass them everything is quiet.

Radar based cruise control (to keep you from crashing into the car in front of you) and other collision warning/tensioning systems can set off radar detectors. LED based tail lights of certain brands/years can set off laser detectors.

Other way around in my experience on QE2 and Hwy 63. Adaptive cruise sets of Laser, and LED tails set off radar. And Audi's are exceptionally terrible.