What to do, what to do...

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now most Viper techs are morons with the few exceptions that are well advertized on this forum.

I don't think a guy that can't spell advertised correctly should be calling anyone a *****. :bonker: "People in glass houses should not toss stones." I would put the Viper Tech that I use up against any Viper Tech and he is not advertised on this forum.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This link needs to be e-mailed by the poster to this particular dealership. Maybe it will give them something to think about before F**ing with the Viper community. This S**T really ticks me off! Just like the tint shop I posted about last week that wouldn't tint my Viper BECAUSE IT WAS A VIPER! GRRRR! OK, I'll go take my ritalin now.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It simply defies logic that a dealership would have numerous Viper techs....yet limit which Vipers they will work on. What do you say,Chris....is this possibly a misunderstanding??
Alas, not a misunderstanding and a little more light was shed: Seems one particular owner had a major problem with this dealership as it relates to a harmonic balancer. It came loose ('97 GTS) shortly after he took delivery of the car (different dealer or private party) and broke the belt. Supposedly the dealership then determined that it had ruined the crankshaft as well. Installed a new one - with the old bearings. What the guy expected would be a $30 bill for a belt turned out to be $9000+ for a partial rebuild. Lawyers got involved and the dealership closed it's doors to any Vipers that they hadn't already dealt with previously. Not sure if that includes warranty work, but suspect it does.

The quandary is that most dealerships in the area don't have a Viper tech or have a poor service reputation. While this particular dealership has never received rave reviews on the order of Dan Cragin, Tom Sessions, etc., they have been consistently decent by most accounts. As many know, even that can be hard to find.

I will visit the dealership again (already verified this in person once) and will see what transpires. The local Chrysler dealership has offered to work on Vipers (owner is a VCA member), but supposedly can't do warranty work unless signed off by a certified Viper tech. Which the Dodge dealer has seemed to monopolize! :(

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the guy expected would be a $30 bill for a belt turned out to be $9000+ for a partial rebuild. Lawyers got involved and the dealership closed it's doors to any Vipers that they hadn't already dealt with previously.

Gee, might have been a nice touch to call the guy and tell him what was going on, or didn't that occur to them? He might have wanted to know IN ADVANCE about the work planned and the costs. :eek:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$9000.00 engine rebuild and they didn't put in new bearings?What idiot would do that?Who would ever take their car there?How long was the guarantee?$9000.00!!New valve guides,springs?Valves and heads resurfaced?New rings?Everything checked?Re balanced?Brought up to spec?Dyno'ed?They are lucky the guy didn't fire bomb the place or possibly that is what they were hoping for. GTS Bruce

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now most Viper techs are morons with the few exceptions that are well advertized on this forum.

I don't think a guy that can't spell advertised correctly should be calling anyone a *****. :bonker: "People in glass houses should not toss stones." I would put the Viper Tech that I use up against any Viper Tech and he is not advertised on this forum.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=advertize
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/advertize

Having learnt English the British way, I do get mixed up with some American spellings such as "humour/humor", "odour/odor", "aluminium/aluminum", "organise/organize", etc. You got personal but I won't. Here's an interesting link. http://english2american.com.

I've dealt with quite a few Viper techs over the past 9 years of Viper ownership and have had a lot of problems with most of them, even on simple issues of oil changes. My experience was in the Boston area. Their excuse was that they didn't get to see many Vipers especially in 97-99. What makes them morons is that their dealership spent money to get them certified but they retained none of that knowledge. Once I moved to NJ, I did a lot of stuff myself and used Tator's services for the rest.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just talked to Stony the Sales manager there and he said they lose money on the viper stuff. The issue that Chris mentioned a $6800 engine repair and the viper owner sued them saying that he thought the bill was $68 for an engine repair. Plus other stuff he didn't go into detail about. 913-642-4600 is Stonys #, he said if anyone had questions they could contact him.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also spoke with the dealership directly. They said that the Viper work provided little profit, especially on warranty work. Coupled with the headaches from picky Viper owners, it isn't worth their time. They also mentioned the fact that nobody from Kansas City is buying new Vipers from them. Folks like Woodhouse & Roanoke are getting all of the new Viper sales and it just doesn't make sense for the dealership to support a community that won't support them.

What I pointed out was that very few new Vipers have been sold in Kansas City - by any dealership. The vast majority of new Viper owners in Kansas City are buying used Vipers. Nothing wrong with that obviously, but this particular dealership rarely has used Vipers available for purchase - and seems to sell them quickly when they do. Ironically, I worked very hard to get them a new Viper sale this past summer - from a buyer from Texas. I also posted notes on every Viper they have gotten in (Coupes, etc.), as well as pushed them within the local Viper club as our preferred local dealership. They are/were also the best priced when it came to factory Viper parts.

The bottom line is that because we don't buy enough Vipers from the dealership and the service work provides little profit, they will no longer service any Viper unless it was sold there or had previous problem-free work. So like it or not, we are still in a quandary as to what to do. While Jorgensen's offer is a great one, arranging shipping to and from a dealership over 200 miles away is a bit extreme for general service work.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy me that bumble bee that have sitting in the showroom and then I could get it serviced there. I'll do your next kids senior portraits for FREE even.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also spoke with the dealership directly. They said that the Viper work provided little profit, especially on warranty work. Coupled with the headaches from picky Viper owners, it isn't worth their time. They also mentioned the fact that nobody from Kansas City is buying new Vipers from them. Folks like Woodhouse & Roanoke are getting all of the new Viper sales and it just doesn't make sense for the dealership to support a community that won't support them.

What I pointed out was that very few new Vipers have been sold in Kansas City - by any dealership. The vast majority of new Viper owners in Kansas City are buying used Vipers. Nothing wrong with that obviously, but this particular dealership rarely has used Vipers available for purchase - and seems to sell them quickly when they do. Ironically, I worked very hard to get them a new Viper sale this past summer - from a buyer from Texas. I also posted notes on every Viper they have gotten in (Coupes, etc.), as well as pushed them within the local Viper club as our preferred local dealership. They are/were also the best priced when it came to factory Viper parts.

The bottom line is that because we don't buy enough Vipers from the dealership and the service work provides little profit, they will no longer service any Viper unless it was sold there or had previous problem-free work. So like it or not, we are still in a quandary as to what to do. While Jorgensen's offer is a great one, arranging shipping to and from a dealership over 200 miles away is a bit extreme for general service work.

This is certainly a vicious circle because if they won't help out Viper customers then they certainly will never get the kind of Viper clientele to make servicing them a lucrative business. Maybe they should stop whining about how Roanoke and Woodhouse are getting all the Viper sales here in the Midwest. Maybe there is a reason why this is happening? Maybe they should learn WHY those two dealerships are selling so many Vipers and try to emulate. Roanoke probably sells more Vipers out of state than they do around this area. Hell, do you know what the population of Roanoke is?...Try 1994. Being such a large volume Viper dealer in a po-dunk town really speaks volumes about John Gastman and his dealership. Too bad other dealerships don't or won't get it. In the end, it's still enthusiasts like all on this board, that suffer.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that we drive Vipers. Dealerships that service minivans are not accustomed to working on exotic cars. Ferrari and Lamborghini owners don’t have this problem. Those dealerships deal only in high end cars and all clientele are very picky. The per hour labor charge on the Italian cars is not that much more compared to what the Viper owners pay.

The number one complaint that I hear over and over is “I can not believe they drove my Viper”. The service center gets so excited when a Viper comes in, they will use any excuse to test drive a Viper. If they don’t drive the cars, park them inside at night, use floor mats and steering wheel covers….owners will be much happier after the service.

The Ferrari owners also have problems.…not even one dealership in Kansas City. Lotus owners have it even worse.

I guess I need to make more time to work on Vipers.

Jerry

PS – Did I mention that Dealerships should not be joy riding in our Vipers?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds to me like a viper owner with deep pockets in the area will do very well to help set up one of those Vipertechs in their own shop.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Maybe they should stop whining about how Roanoke and Woodhouse are getting all the Viper sales here in the Midwest. Maybe there is a reason why this is happening? Maybe they should learn WHY those two dealerships are selling so many Vipers and try to emulate. Roanoke probably sells more Vipers out of state than they do around this area. Hell, do you know what the population of Roanoke is?...Try 1994. Being such a large volume Viper dealer in a po-dunk town really speaks volumes about John Gastman and his dealership >>

i think jdoc hit the nail on the head. maybe this dealership should stop whining about being profitable, and think of the entire picture and not turn business down that may return OTHER sales and service business.

there will always be some idiot with more money than brains that sues over stupid [******], but i guarantee you there is money to be made servicing vipers, and i am sure Roanoake and Woodhouse will tell you the same.

Reaction score
Quote:
The problem is that we drive Vipers. Dealerships that service minivans are not accustomed to working on exotic cars. Ferrari and Lamborghini owners don’t have this problem. Those dealerships deal only in high end cars and all clientele are very picky. The per hour labor charge on the Italian cars is not that much more compared to what the Viper owners pay.

The number one complaint that I hear over and over is “I can not believe they drove my Viper”. The service center gets so excited when a Viper comes in, they will use any excuse to test drive a Viper. If they don’t drive the cars, park them inside at night, use floor mats and steering wheel covers….owners will be much happier after the service.

We at Woodhouse Performance also have an answer for these issues. We do not drive the cars unless it is for diagnosis and our clients know that there are only a couple qualified people that know Vipers that will be in contact with there car. When we are done or waiting for parts the Vipers are stored inside there own building that does not allow casual trafficing by customers or employees.

When the cars are returned to the customer they are cleaned inside and out by hand and detailed by a Viper specific detail tech only. By the way we do not charge anything for this service and our labor rate for a Viper customer is the same as the minivan owner! Viper work usually takes a little more time so we do not over charge for the hourly rate. This alone may make it worth a day trip to see us or have us pick up and deliver your Viper!

Thanks,

Mark Jorgensen

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LAME LAME LAME!!!!

Pathetic lazy worthless attitude!!

That dealer should be ashamed to even be in business.

...and people wonder why Toyota is talking over the automotive industry and domestic car companies are 2 clicks away from bankruptcy.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Chris, are you SURE that the dealer's franchise arrangement with D-C allows this "selective Viper service" application??

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, here's where is gets interesting.....

Last time I checked a plane ticket (advance purchase) from RDU to Kansas City was all of about $138. I am sure that you could find a place to have work done (someone with an awesome set of tools?) and fly in your tech to work on seeral cars at once at an every other month VCA event or something.

I now that Dodge has paid Tom Sessions to travel just about everywhere to fix cars...... esp warranty work.

I'd go out of my way NOT to do business with this dealer - even if they rethought their decision.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>200 miles away is a bit extreme for general service work<<<

No. If you like to drive :)

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK…it got worse.

This dealership would give great prices on Viper Parts. 10% over cost. The other dealerships would only give a 10% discount. So I make a parts run today and they tell me “No Discount”. I had to pay full list for parts. I needed the parts so I was stuck.

(Hey Pictureman, they sold the Yellow and Black coupe…..to another dealer)

Reaction score
Avoid them like the plague and spread the word. Ordinarily I would say that the best thing to do is to try to "partner" with them and forge some sort of bond with the club.....but forget that!

People ask Viper Owners about ALL sorts of things....one HUGE thing is about the local dealerships. I think people figure if there is a dealership the Viper Owner trusts...it must be good. So, spread the word. Sure, it probably won't hurt their bottom line....but I usually get a good feeling when I denegrate some stupid dealership and share a stupid story like this one. Even if ONE SINGLE person barely overheard the conversation and subconciously ruled out that dealership based on a faint memory of some guy with a Viper talking bad about them....I win! :)

Then...I'd go in to buy a new car and make a point of leaving half way through their little speil once I "found out" they have this policy.

I know....petty, immature, childish....but thats me. :)

Reaction score
Tony,
I like your style! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

I have my moments. <sigh> :)

No real reason for people to be so stubborn, petty, childish and just plain sad....but such is life. All we can do is pity them for a moment...then give it right back! :)

Now...the other 23 hours and 59 minutes of the day I'm pretty much a wimp! LOL!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This dealership is obviously on the verge of 'going out of business' or losing LOTS of money. Desperation can make the people working there make bad decisions...It takes a LONG time to rebuild a ruined reputation.