What to do with CCW wheels?

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the sp600 ccw wheels and absolutly love them but they are such a pain to keep a good polish and shine on them! :(

Im thinking about taking them to either

a) get a very high polish and then a couple coats of clear coat

b) get them chrome dipped

Anyone have any experience with either options?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper OEM wheels are coated. Every set of polished alum wheels I have had with coating have eventually faded or gotten defects and I have had to remove the coating and just end up polishing them once a year. You just have to keep up with it. Dry wipe the brake dust off with a small duster. Use some simple windex on them to wet wipe when necessary. You have to do that no matter what the finish or coating, so I don't think you benefit with either option as far as labor goes. Some styles are easier to work with than others, that is for sure. You can make it easier if you have a simple 5 spoke design, as in the Gen 3 OEM wheels. Maybe just keep the CCW's for special occasions, like a tux. I do this with my 547's (which I put on my Ferrari for club events, shows, etc).

PS-When using metal polish, use it sparingly. It is easier to clean up if you don't slop it all over the wheel. I just use a small dab (tip of finger into jar) on a cotton or microfiber rag at a time.

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't SP600's a 5 spoke wheel?

Maybe powdercoat them if you don't want them polished.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more. I really like my CCW 505a's, but every little freakin' time they get touched and then the rock nicks...damn!

I have the sp600 ccw wheels and absolutly love them but they are such a pain to keep a good polish and shine on them! :(

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No with these its almost like they need to be polished once a month to get the shine back; i dont drive the car that much. I know with a chrome plating i can just wash it off and it will have that mirror finish much easier.

Love love love the wheels, just tired of the up keep of them

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go chrome (and plan too). I'm a little disappointed in minor haze that the '03 OEM (10 spoke) clear coated wheels have developed over time. I'm sure I could polish them back, but they would still lack the "pop" that chrome provides.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color is your car? My SP 600's are brushed and anodized and easy to keep clean if you don't get anything with a high ph on them.

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zoop Seal them and you'll be fine. Just do a search on the net.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CCW recommends RejeX as their sealer of choice. I find it hard to take a product seriously when the directions state:

The ZoopSeal website instructions...

Use a pale filled with 15- ounces of water and 1- ounce of Zoops Concentrate cleaner. Clean the parts/products as you normally would. This procedure is essential, you need to clean the entire product in order to remove the excess polishing chemicals and contaminates that are present. Rinse the cleaner off with water so it doesn’t dry on the surface. When done rinsing, wipe dry with a lent free towel making sure no water is on left on the part.

'pale' should be 'pail'
'contaminates' should be 'contaminants'
'lent' should be 'lint'
'on' should be removed

:dunno:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad at CCW did actually recommend ZoopSeal, as an alternative to RejeX, in one of our initial conversations...I'm sure it's fine. It's just when I went to the website to find out what it would do that RejeX doesn't...I went to the instructions and found the 3rd grader version. I just find it fascinating that a large company can let errors like that get by...I've spent a lot of time proof-reading documents in my career and errors like those make me roll my eyes. ;)

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issues with my 505A's & SP600's and made one call to John at Cal-Chrome and never looked back, Gotta love the simple wash & go look like new again CCW's. :drive:

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures?

You must be registered for see images attach

My car is on the CCW website also, but here is a pic. I will be at Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning if you would like to see them in person. Beautiful car BTW!

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 32

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend clearing them. I clear coated a set that I had on my old ZO6 and they lost all the luster. I had them pro polished before the clear coat. It was a big waste of cash because I just ended up having them stripped down. Eventually sold them.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it's true "chrome don't get ya home", it sure saves the cleaning time.:cool:

If your performance ego can withstand chrome on a performance wheel, I'd say that's the simplest solution.

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is on the CCW website also, but here is a pic. I will be at Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning if you would like to see them in person. Beautiful car BTW!

Nice! Thank you!

I was going to go to CC but ended up at the track with my friends built and blown c6 until about 1230.

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While it's true "chrome don't get ya home", it sure saves the cleaning time.:cool:

If your performance ego can withstand chrome on a performance wheel, I'd say that's the simplest solution.

Im ok with giving up a little performance to just not have to get ********** everytime i look at my wheels and its time for a polishing. That and maybe ill just add some **** to help make up for the lost performance lol

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought CCW classics last year and went through questions you are - here's what I found:-

a) Clearcoat on highly polished - UK dealers I spoke to WOULD do it but would not give me ANY guarantee because the clearcoat hasn't got a good surface to bond to so doesn't last very long - you've also got the lustre issues mentioned above although that can be polished out.

b) Chroming - a better option but NOT if you're gonna push your wheels hard at the track because the chrome finish is very hard and won't flex with the wheel under high loads but will crack instead.

I guess it all boils down to what you want your wheels for - different wheels for different applications - I went for Anodized in the end but have other wheels I keep highly polished for best occasions.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought CCW classics last year and went through questions you are - here's what I found:-

a) Clearcoat on highly polished - UK dealers I spoke to WOULD do it but would not give me ANY guarantee because the clearcoat hasn't got a good surface to bond to so doesn't last very long - you've also got the lustre issues mentioned above although that can be polished out.

b) Chroming - a better option but NOT if you're gonna push your wheels hard at the track because the chrome finish is very hard and won't flex with the wheel under high loads but will crack instead.

I guess it all boils down to what you want your wheels for - different wheels for different applications - I went for Anodized in the end but have other wheels I keep highly polished for best occasions.

Good luck.

I wouldnt run these wheels at the track, i have a set of 96/97 gts wheels for that. The car obviously would see the spirited driving on the street but that rarely ever includes any hard launches