What type of leafblower to dry car

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read about drying the car with a leafblower. I was going to get an electric one to avoid mess with gas and oil. How big of a leafblower do I need or should I use? They vary from 140mph to over two hundred. Any suggestions?

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the Old Wifey...
I don't recommend using a leafblower to dry the car. My husband bought a big son of a gun blower and I tried it once...forget about it!! We lived in Chicago (moved to Phoenix 2 months ago) and I found that it dried the car too quickly. It left spots which I absolutely hate! Just use a little elbow grease and enjoy the "bonding" time between you and the Viper!

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the Old Wifey...
I don't recommend using a leafblower to dry the car. My husband bought a big son of a gun blower and I tried it once...forget about it!! We lived in Chicago (moved to Phoenix 2 months ago) and I found that it dried the car too quickly. It left spots which I absolutely hate! Just use a little elbow grease and enjoy the "bonding" time between you and the Viper!

Previous to washing the car if you have a good wax, a leaf blower would be fine, unless your washing your car at high noon. I use a black and decker electric leaf blower and it works great, NO spots and most important!! NO scratches

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't use it to actually dry off the entire car. After wiping down with a synthetic chamois, then I blow all the nooks and crevices that collect water like around the windows, hood speakers, side view mirrors, head/tail lights, then I wipe again. Unless you have distilled water at your home, spotting is always a problem if it's too hot outside like in AZ. You should be fine with any leafblower. Don't waste the money on anything expensive unless you need it around the yard too.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the Old Wifey...

I agree. We bought a leaf blower for this pupose 6 yrs. ago. Probably only used it a few times that first summer. You'll never get all the water with it anyway. Water still leaks out of some cracks and crevices after you're through. On top of that, you're passing something over the car, and somewhat close, which could scratch if contact is made. ....Better off with a well hosed off water blade and/or just cotton towels.

Steve

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a gas powered leaf blower.I would say the more powerful, the better. Best trick in the book! The grills on the hood and the wheels is where it comes in most handy.

I then go over the car with a chamois to get drops left over.

I wish I would have figured this out 10 years ago!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I blow the side view mirrors, license plate and wheels first. Then I lift the hood and blow out the speakers. Then I let it idle and slowly blow out the water collected on top of the wheel well inner. Then I open the doors and blow out the water under the door latch and the water on top of the side sills. Lastly I wipe it down with a california blade and towel the nooks and crannies.

I've been using a gas leaf blower for years.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar process to that stated above with a battery Black and Decker. Without the extensions or anything. Not much chance for damage that way. A godsend to stop the dreaded leaks and drips.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an electric Sears POS leaf blower that does a great job. I usually start from the top and work the water down. I've had noticeably less swirls on the car and I haven't had to break out the polish routine in some time. If you can take a little ribbing from the neighbors, its well worth the effort, IMO.

- Tony

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using a Sears 6.5HP combo vac/blower for many years. The blower easily detaches at puts out 200+ MPH force.

Like mentioned by twinturbo above, if you have a good coat of wax on the car, you can't go wrong using a blower. The water easily rolls off the car and will save you lots of time.

Once I've removed 95% of the water using the blower, I spray one section at a time with Zaino Z-6 and wipe it down for the final touch.

Brian

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have to agree that a leaf blower is the only way to go. I use electric since I worry about oil/fuel discharge onto the car with gas but it sounds as if no one has had any real problems with them. Get the highest output blower you can afford. Hit all the problem areas (cracks, mirrors, HOOD VENTS, etc...) Now I almost completely dry the car with the blower then go at it with a microfiber drying towel and Adam's detail spray or Pinnacle Crystal Mist to finish the drying. Not a spot to be found and very few places with any hidden water left to drip!

Try it, you like it!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Electric is what you want as some gas models put the exhaust in the airflow.

I tried the leave blower deal awhile back, and while it helps...the best solution is NOt having to wry at all.

I know I have mentioned it before on another post, but I have been thrilled with a water de-ionizing system made by a company called "Spotless". I wash the car, rinse with water through this system, and no spots. It is a rather indulgent auto detailing type purchase to be sure, but after using mine for over a year... I can't imagine being without it now.

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man you guys are doing it all wrong .get up early Sunday morning.wash it dry it off .then get in it buckle up go to your nearest expressway.now pedal to the metal.you just killed two birds .#1 the car is dry #2 need for speed .
if you need any more advice ask Ann landers............... :headbang:

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to The Sharper Image, they have an electric blower, not really a leaf blower because its smaller, but it is electric and has a rubber nose that won't scratch your paint

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best is the air discharge vent of the DR industrial wood chipper, and use a squegee and some old towels to take the leaves off your property.
It'll give your neighbours something to talk about.