What will Gen II market do in future

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you all think the Gen II market is going to do in the future? I am not going to ask what do you think they are worth because everybody has very different opinions when it comes to this.

Do you think that Gen II GTS's will continue to drop, hold firm or start to go up in value over the next year?

How about next couple years, will we see an increase or decrease in value and by what percent?

How about in 5 or 10 years?

I know a lot of these things can be hard to predict and things like gas prices, emission laws and what car manufacturers are selling on the market have a big effect on this stuff.

You never know, if gas prices hit 5 bucks and that Co2 law gets passed it could kill the entire hot rod/muscle car/viper market all together.

Or they could come out with an electric or hybred car that will blow away the Z06 and SRT10's of the future. I did see a pretty hot electric car on the internet. I wish I still had the link but they have a LOT of potential. There is just something about going fast and not hearing the noise of a nasty v8 or v10 under the hood. :crazy:

I suspect that the horse power wars cannot continue. I really hope they do, 600 hp is just insane. Whats next, the Blue Devil with 700 hp and then the Gen IV with 750. If it does continue this way they are going to have to start policing the people that buy these cars or make a driving school mandatory as there are a lot of people out there with more money than brains that will kill themselves with a 700 hp sports car.

Anyway, I would love to hear everybodies opinions on where they think the Viper market is heading.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense, but isn't this the same question you've asked before? Like many times? You have well over 800 posts on this forum, usually random started threads and I don't know that you even own a Viper...

Oh, and cars depreciate.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a whole week since he ask this question. There has to be some new members that will fall for it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please buy a Viper. Drive it. Enjoy it. Don't worry if it will make you rich in 50 years (it probably won't). Think of all the good times you've missed during your search for the PERFECT Viper. My Viper isn't perfect, but guess what, I've had tons of fun in it and don't really care if I can retire and move to Tahiti in 2057 just by selling it

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've heard the general rule that collector cars depreciate for 10 years and then level off. They will then begin to appreciate (depending on condition of course). I think you can see Gen 1's have leveled off and go for around 28k to 36k. Way too many variables to accurately predict.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy the hell out of it!!!

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or they could come out with an electric or hybred car that will blow away the Z06 and SRT10's of the future. I did see a pretty hot electric car on the internet.
[/quote]

Lexus already has a couple of 450 hp hybrids. I guess the electric motors put out monstrous torque. So far they are choosing to put them in their big heavy sedans. The IS F is supposed to have 400 HP in gasoline w/ an 8 spd tranny that will aid the light weight car in fuel economy.

I also saw that hybrid sports car (can't remember it's name) it was supposed to be already being sold for under $100,000. It's not here so may have been a hype.

My .02 is that the GTS will always be thought of as "The Viper" & will hold it's value pretty well.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense, but isn't this the same question you've asked before? Like many times? You have well over 800 posts on this forum, usually random started threads and I don't know that you even own a Viper...

Oh, and cars depreciate.
No, actually this is the first time I asked this. My last question was "How much are they worth?" As in dollar values. This question was looking more for what the market will do. Will they appreciate or depreciate. In other words If I don't find one this year will they be 6 figures next year or even cheaper. Similar questions but different. If my questions bother you just do not reply to them. Thanks.

I wish getting rich was that easy. If that were the case I would be filling my back yard with Vipers. I don't expect to make any money on a GTS but also hope not to lose as much as I would on a new Z06.

Hope to have one real soon. :2tu: Anybody selling a low mile Sapphire or Graphite car with stripes give me a yell.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMHO, a very well maintained GTS with less than 10k miles will likely hover between $50k-60k for the next few years to come, based on condition and color combo. I doubt much less or more than that.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the viper is a bad ass car. it never fails to put smiles on faces. if a person cant afford 4$ for a gallon of gas (8$ in Europe) don't buy one. if a person has to judge the pricing fluctuations in order to gauge if they can afford to purchase, don't bother buying one.

the price fluctuation will depend on how the gen3.5 2008 is launched. My prediction is that gen2 pricing will drop for awhile during 2008/2009/2010, and raise up once again once the gen3/.5 styling becomes trite. gen2 styling will be hard if not impossible to recapture. The gen 2 pricing will increase after 2010 to reflect this.

as for electric performance cars. I will have one. I will also always have a gen2 GTS because it puts a grin on my face.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did anyone buy their Viper because of value down the line? I know I got mine because I love the car, love to drive it and don't give a damn what anyone thinks it's worth. Buy it, drive it, love it. If the market tanks, so be it. If it goes up, great! I don't plan to part with it until my nephew (8) is old enough and then I'll give it to him. Of course, by then I'll have at least a couple others to enjoy myself. The real value is in owning the car not selling it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard the general rule that collector cars depreciate for 10 years and then level off. They will then begin to appreciate (depending on condition of course). I think you can see Gen 1's have leveled off and go for around 28k to 36k. Way too many variables to accurately predict.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy the hell out of it!!!

That sounds about right. The GenII is now 5+ years old and I wouldn't expect the prices to drop much more if at all.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it whenever you post a question like this people automatically assume you can't afford the car or are buying the car as an investment. Can't somebody just be wondering what the market is going to do. I am buying the car to have fun. I wouldn't be buying it if I could not afford it. I also want to know what the marketplace is doing so that I do not get burnt on the deal. I can say that I have learned a LOT in the past few months of looking for one.

I also wanted to thank some of the people that have given me excellent advice and listened to my questions. Thanks guys.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it whenever you post a question like this people automatically assume you can't afford the car or are buying the car as an investment. /quote]

Perhaps because you have posted on the subject before, and always seems to come back to the resale value and what is going to happen years down the road (that obviously no one can answer) as extremely important to you. Not that there is anything wrong with that but frankly most Viper owners aren't buying the car with the future resale in mind. They likely don't care. And to be honest, if you really want the car you have been looking for and can afford it, you would already own it.

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone on here can answer this guys question, PLEASE give me a call. I need some help with the future of the stock market. :D

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep trying to click on his avatar to get a better look at those TT's ...then again I start to wonder what their IQ could be and it spoils the whole experience.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep trying to click on his avatar to get a better look at those TT's ...then again I start to wonder what their IQ could be and it spoils the whole experience.

Just for you Jeff...

9192100_1719.jpg

As for their IQ, I have no clue, somehow I forgot to ask :dunno: :D

Dexter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was considering restoring an older car like the '69 Cougar I had in my younger days. Memories of always wrenching on the car :( persuaded me to look for something newer that would still hold it's value and probably appreciate.
The Viper seemed to fit the bill so I looked into it closer. It didn't take long for me to become infatuated with this fine car:hail:. The decision of which model to buy became very tough because they're all great! I liked the looks of the GTS the best and figured I would probably spend as much time looking at/admiring the car as driving it:drive:. I didn't expect to put many miles on the car because I wanted it to retain as much value as possible but that thinking has dropped by the wayside. I've put aver 7,000 miles on it in the past 9 months and that includes it being stored for the winter. I'll be rolling past that magical 10,000 mile mark any day now but this car was meant to be driven.
If it happens to increase in value by the time I sell it GREAT! If it doesn't then I'm going to enjoy the depreciation per mile more than any vehicle I've ever owned.
Either way I come out ahead.

So there's my $0.02 on where the value of mine is headed.:D

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 2000 viper 4 years ago this next August. I have spent a little on maintence and minor mods. I've spent alot on tires. I have put about 10K miles on it. I bought it for a fair deal....the other owner was willing to take cash. Not my first born or other family members.

About a year ago I turned down an offer to buy it for about $1k less than I paid for it.

that's less deprecation than a track day! I wan't a bit concerned about depreciation when I bought the car. I bought it to enjoy. I almost wish it was worth half of what it is....I'd buy another one and make one a dedicated track car. You know, when I was a kid they called me chuck. Two Viper Carl just doesn't have the same kick.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car 5 years ago, today dealers are asking the exact same money for a low mileage, same model car. Not that they will get it but that's a starting point anyway. I think if you guy a car and keep the mileage down you the value will fluckuate about 1-2k per year.

I see low mileage Gen II GTS cars listed for 55k, to me that's a fantastic buy. Considering that it is basically a new car that sold for a bit more money.

Compairing a Viper to a Vette to me is silly, I have ...

Oh forget it, this conversation is stupid. You can't understand unless you buy one.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a car, it will depreciate..... drive the heck out of it! I dont see gen1's going below 25 grand or GTS's going below 30.... but I dont see them "going back up" that much either.

D

DAMN YANKEE

I think you are actually looking for a serious answer, so here it comes..

Soon, very soon, the whole earth will look like "Escape from New York" and with gas at $86 dollars a gallon, my Viper will only be used for making 2:00am runs past the legions of Zombis that will inhabit the out plains of the Federation. I will be going to the library to speak with "Brains" as he alone will know how to properly alter my Vec's timing curves. I will only be able to drive less than three thousand miles a year. Wait a minute...I do that now.

You, well you will be Soylent Green, and as such, you will be wrapped in a green wrapper in my glove box, next ot my Stevie Ray Vaugh cd and MAC10.

Value of a Viper with chandalier fenders...in FedStat Markers or Outpost script?

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why is it whenever you post a question like this people automatically assume you can't afford the car or are buying the car as an investment. /quote]

Perhaps because you have posted on the subject before, and always seems to come back to the resale value and what is going to happen years down the road (that obviously no one can answer) as extremely important to you. Not that there is anything wrong with that but frankly most Viper owners aren't buying the car with the future resale in mind. They likely don't care. And to be honest, if you really want the car you have been looking for and can afford it, you would already own it.

I have to agree. You post here and on the corvetteforum. Pretty much the same issues. Like a wise man once said
"**** OR GET OFF THE ***".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4