What's a good +12V source to use for Stereo Installation?

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All:

I am planning to replace the stock head unit on my '94 with a modern unit. Going with an Alpine CDE-HD137BT. I have the Viper factory wiring diagram from the Service Manual,k and I got the wiring diagram (see page 50) for the new radio from Alpine's web site. I was just going through mapping out how to hard wire it. I noticed the new radio calls for a Battery connection in addition to a Ignition connection. Whereas, the stock unit seems to just have a Ignition connection only. Wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so, what you used as the source of a constant +12V Battery connection? Wondering if I need to run a whole new wire from somewhere or if there is something local I can tap into?

I've mapped out my connections as follows. If anybody sees any other gotchas, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

New Radio Wire ---> Viper Factory Wire
Antenna --> Antenna
Power Antenna --> Not Used
Remote Turn-On (Blue/White) --> Pin 3 Power Amplifier Feed (DG/RD)
Audio Interrupt (Pink/Black) --> Not Used
Illumination (Orange) --> Pin 2 Tail, License, Park, Side Marker Lamp Feed (Bk/YL)
Ignition (Red) --> Pin 1 Radio Fed (RD)
Battery (Yellow) --> ???????????? What to connect to on the Viper ???????????????
Ground (Black) --> Pin 5 (BK)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For future reference, I found another post out there that indicated the pink wire from back of the radio (labeled as Feed to M1) in the service manual wiring schematic is a +12V constant. Will have to test that to confirm. Just FYI.

OP
OP
J

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to follow up on this for anyone's future reference.....the pink wire is in fact +12V constant. I ended up using the following wiring:

New Radio Wire ---> Viper Factory Wire
Antenna --> Antenna
Power Antenna --> Not Used
Remote Turn-On (Blue/White) --> Pin 3 Power Amplifier Feed (DG/RD)
Audio Interrupt (Pink/Black) --> Not Used
Illumination (Orange) --> Pin 6 Heater Control Lamp / Dimmable Lamp (activated with parking lights) (Orange)
Ignition (Red) --> Pin 1 Radio Feed (RD)
Battery (Yellow) --> Pin 4 Dome and Courtesy Lamp Feed (Pink)
Ground (Black) --> Pin 5 (BK)

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have any additional help to offer here, but I just noticed that you are in Glen Carbon! I work in Maryville and live in Troy.

Are you a Gateway VCA member?

Perhaps I will see you around one of these days!

Good luck with your stereo installation...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang