What's a Viper racecar worth?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s a Viper racecar worth?

One thats legal for SCCA T1 and ViperDays GT2? I'd like to (who whouldn't) get a CC but the 2000 GTS would have to go first.

I think I'm being realistic, but what would you pay?

2000 GTS
nice cage
ACR suspension
ss brake lines
speedbleeders
radio system
Random Tech metallic Hi-flows and 3" SS exhaust
all fluids changed (zero miles)
all new electrical (plugs/wires)
new BBS 3 pcs wheels
new hoosiers
new michelin PS on OEM rims

How about a straight up trade for a CC? Okay well that won't happen but seriously. How much if you were in the market?

Basically a boogity race car. Finished 3rd in ViperDays Super Stock last year which was my first year.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s a Viper racecar worth?

Not much.Definately less than a good condition high perf street version.Get rid of the cage,hoosiers and radio and sell it as a street driven car.Otherwise look up the price for a street driven car and subtract15-20 thousand.Most mods are resale worthless.ie:wierd paint,600 watt stereo.Racing mods are a definate big minus.High perf street worth maybe 1/3 the price of the mods. Bruce

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score

T1 Vipers seem to be offered in the $70k range (Yeah, I know, you have way more than that in it). Unfortunately, race cars are also notorious for selling at a fraction of the advertised price. So an actual transaction 1/3 less than that would not be unusual. It gets worse. The used race car market really stinks right now. Basically, a race car without significant history is "sale-proof". If the condition is good enough, you may get more parting out the trick bits and selling what's left as a hot street car, presumimng you still have the stock parts. The money may not be a lot better, but there will be a huge increase in the pool of potential buyers.

You didn't mention whether the car had all the SCCA safety equipment. If so, that will make it much harder to sell as a street car.

If you still want to sell it as a race car, I suggest contacting race-cars.com. It's one of the more active sites for race car sales.

There is a bright side, of sorts. Have you considered renting a CC? I know it's not the same as owning, but it can be economical.

Typically, race cars rent for about double their actual running costs. In the case of a CC, I am guessing that rental would be about $3k per day. Keeping in mind half that cost is the same as what it would cost you (leaving $1.5k to apply against the CC "purchase"), and the terrific rate of depreciation for race cars ($130k quickly becomes $65k), you could get more than 40 days of racing before you are upside down economically.

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce! I had almost forgotten why selling cars was such a fun experience. You must not race. Race cars are worth more than street cars net although usually take longer to sell. They have huge huge money and time invested which bottom line gets discounted to enough that insures they are worth more than a street car in any condition. Nor can you convert a race car back to a street car - why would you want to anyway? It's then worth less and even harder to sell as an ex-racecar. Just look at VCA classifieds for asking prices and actual selling prices. Anyway..

Renting makes financial sense to me too. GPM rents the CC for $6k for three day Viper Days event which includes entry fees. Renting just isn't the same as owning though.

Fortunately I am okay with a $55-$60k sale dependant upon whats included in the deal.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you get 60K, that would be pretty good. I think your gonna have a tuff sell, most people in the Viper market want something stock or if it is modified they want it modified with a tuner package... You mods sound like they are just track mods which most people aren't that interested in (I believe most want mods that will give them the big HP numbers.)

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think some of you guys are missing the point. He is selling a racecar, not a streetcar. He will not be selling it to anyone looking to drive it on the street. Tuner packages do not sell racecars as longevity is of paramount concern.

I wish I could help with some knowledge of prices but I have never looked for a racecar. Good luck with the sale.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I've seen a lot of SCCA and other full-race vipers come and go through the past few years and have never seen them match their street-worthy counterparts. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the lowest price I've ever seen an "undamaged" GTS go for was a green racer with extra motor for $22,100. In fact there is an SCCA GTS up for bid on ebay right now (for the third time) who cannot seem to break the $40k mark. ****, I think even "Sir Hiss," one of the most famous Vipers on the drags only just cleared $100k.

Maybe Aaron is right and you'll clean up on the racetrack, but I think $60k is going to be a long ride in the general market. Good luck though, I honestly hope you get what you want for her.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have been trying for almost 1 year now to sell a 1995 RT/10 Viper Days Champion Car. This car was National Champion, Stock Champion, & Street Prepared Champion several years in a row. I have to sell the car before i can break out the Comp Coupe. If i can't sell then the CC becomes a garage queen (which i did not want to happen).

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The problem with a 95 is that it's a GEN I and the 7 year phase out in SCCA means it's end of life as a SCCA racecar. Also an RT is less desireable as a track car to some of the market. Still a great car, just not campaignable in SCCA. Would it be competitive against a Super Stock 2000 for example?

I would be very happy with $60k, but don't expect anything near it.

HEMIDAYNA want to trade a 2000 GTS towards that wimpy CC? I'd love some of that action!!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have never been classified in T-1, only in ITE, where i am competative, SPO where i get spanked by the likes of Mr. Hawkins, Mr. Woodhouse, ect. Running in the NASA Viper/Vette Challange i am very competative and have won races, Viper Days i do beleive that it would still be very competative. I can still campaign the car in SCCA Regional only events, there are only a few of us that will campaign in SCCA Nationals, everyone else is a regional competitor.
NCVCA how would we find out if i am competative against your SS 2000?

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What tracks are you running the NASA Viper/Vette?
What mods can you have and still run this class?
That sounds fun!!!

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thats legal for SCCA T1 and ViperDays GT2? I'd like to (who whouldn't) get a CC but the 2000 GTS would have to go first.

I think I'm being realistic, but what would you pay?

2000 GTS
nice cage
ACR suspension
ss brake lines
speedbleeders
radio system
Random Tech metallic Hi-flows and 3" SS exhaust
all fluids changed (zero miles)
all new electrical (plugs/wires)
new BBS 3 pcs wheels
new hoosiers
new michelin PS on OEM rims

How about a straight up trade for a CC? Okay well that won't happen but seriously. How much if you were in the market?

Basically a boogity race car. Finished 3rd in ViperDays Super Stock last year which was my first year.

Jeff: A car with a historical and elaborite pedigree of victories and finishes or campaigned by someone notable might fare better in the race car resale market. I hope that isn't to blunt. I wouldn't expect to recover any modification expenses. You've already cashed in all the stock body panels that would bring in some dough.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

There are extremely well-prepared VRL GT-1 cars for sale in the $55,000 - $95,000 range. The original cost on most of these cars was $100,000 - $150,000. These cars have significant documented race history within the VRL and are very close to a Comp Coupe in lap times. There are wide spreads in the bid/ask price because it is a very narrow, inefficient market.

To a racer, I would think that a T1 car is worth much less than a GT-1 car (probably sell in range of $30,000 - $50,000), assuming equivalent quality and condition. Other than a roll cage, these cars don't have much in the way of go-fast modifications. In essence, they are an ACR with a roll-cage. Great for a budget-oriented Viper racer.

To purchase a new Comp Coupe along with necessary spares and other items to go racing, you're looking at $150,000 minimum.

That certainly gives the Viper racer a wide menu of choices.

INMO, the best bang for the buck in the market today is a GT-1 car. No, I don't have one for sale. Check out the VCA and the Viper Days classifieds.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's why my GT-1 isn't for sale. Good anaylsis Frank. Again, the voice of reason. I wish you a speedy recovery - we miss you at the track.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sonny....i am laughing.

Frank...You are correct. I was one of the origionaly VD's drivers in its infantancy. I have well over $100k in my 95, fair price for my car would be in the $37 range that would include some spares.

Jeff... I would love to come down to VIR, but i can't justify the 1k for a weekend when others are comming in for half price.

Bugeater...do a search on NASA. There is a Virginia Club that i run with and also a Ohio/Indiana Club that i run with also.

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HEMIDAYTNA,

Got your email. There are always cheaper events, but they aren't equal to ViperDays...

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NCVCA,

We could debate all day long about different events, different promotors, and different venues. Everyone has their own comfort level where they want to spend their $$$$.

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

whoah there big dawg! I'm not debating you. I assume you've been to a ViperDays event or two so you know what it's all about.

They cost more because you have more track time, better food, and great instructors anytime if you want one. As a free bonus (compared to SCCA) you have less chance of getting rubbed, hit, bumped, or pushed off track as well. Keeping the car in one piece is of significant value to me also.

Not knocking you at all! Hope to see you at the track--

JSS

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

See there you go, you are starting a debate. Yes i have been to an event or two. How much more track time do you get? I'm sure that you are running 20 minute to half hour sessions? maybe 3 or 4 run groups? I been involved with other venues that get the same amout of track time.

Food? Whats so great about spending $140 or more for lunch, and dinner? Are you eating Filet?

Great Instructors: Are these the same insturctors that drive in SCCA, NASA, and other Club Events ? ie (Porsche, BMW, ect club drivers?)

The bonus of getting rubbed: You must be talking about the challange series? I have never seen any rubbing or contact in the same format of a Challange Series. You must not be talking about the racing that goes on in the VRL. Lots of times those incidents go unpublished. Most people only know about those "incidents" if they are spectators or know someone who went to the track.

As said previously, everyone has their own comfort level for spending their $$$$ on track events.

Not knocking you at all, i'm am sure that you are quite an experienced Viper Day's & SCCA driver. If you see me at a Viper Days event it would most likely be as a spectator and not a participant due to the excessive costs of the Viper Days involvement Tax.

Maybe we should start another thread and keep this to the Worth of a Racecar?